Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee 2 months out??

I'm almost 2 months out. This week I'm working 6 consecutive days in Nursing. I'm on day 4 and I am beyond exhausted and tired of being on my feet all day. I hurt everywhere. I need a little push. I have no energy. Is it ok to drink some regular coffee now? Any suggestions??

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

it depends on your plan. Surgeons are all across the board with this - there seems to be no consensus. Some never want you drinking it again - some are allowing it as soon as you're out of the hospital. Some say it's OK once you're three months - or six months - out. Some say it's OK in limited quantities (e.g. one or two cups a day). Or some combination of the above. My guess is given the lack of consensus, it's not the worst thing you can do (unlike taking NSAIDs or some other thing everyone agrees on), but you might want to check with your surgeon to see what he/she thinks.

Nurse here too! Hard to have the energy without my daily coffee. I drink mine on the weak side so it isn't too acidic. I don't worry too much about the diuretic effect of coffee, which I think is the primary reason why surgeons don't want you taking it, they want all your Water to count. So just make sure you're getting plenty of water in too.

Nurse here too! Hard to have the energy without my daily coffee. I drink mine on the weak side so it isn't too acidic. I don't worry too much about the diuretic effect of coffee, which I think is the primary reason why surgeons don't want you taking it, they want all your Water to count. So just make sure you're getting plenty of Water in too.
Thank you. These long shifts can be a blessing and a curse all in one. It's hard with no coffee.

My doctor never told me I couldn't have coffee, but I only drink Decaf and only on rare occasions anyway. I think @KCgirl061 gave you a great answer.

Ensure max has a new Protein Drink out with 1 g of sugar and 30g of Protein. Their cafe mocha has caffeine in it. Maybe get your caffeine and protein together. It doesn't seem as "acidy" as a coffee.

And that's a good thing, isn't it?

I had a hard time giving up coffee. I did a week before surgery and about three weeks after. I didn't get headaches, but I felt like a zombie all the time. I got sugar-free mints on Amazon that have the caffeine of half a cup of coffee and had one or two of those for a while. Now I drink less, like a 4 oz cup of coffee in the morning. As @KCgirl061 mentioned, I make sure to up my Water intake.

i am 7 weeks out and I have had coffee the last 3 days, even sometimes with half and half! ( omg, i know! ) and I am still alive. As was said, different programs are different. I am guessing that as there is no real consensus go ahead, its not like you are smoking meth after all.

9 hours ago, cutiepie34 said:

I'm almost 2 months out. This week I'm working 6 consecutive days in Nursing. I'm on day 4 and I am beyond exhausted and tired of being on my feet all day. I hurt everywhere. I need a little push. I have no energy. Is it ok to drink some regular coffee now? Any suggestions??

Depends on your doctor. My doctor was okay with CAFFEINATED coffee the day after surgery! He said if I normally drink it, to go ahead and drink it so I don't go through caffeine withdrawal. I prepped beforehand and cut back to about one caffeinated drink per day, and I've been fine drinking it, from day 2.

I also have a personal goal of drinking 65oz of Water daily, above and beyond any coffee or Protein Shake. That helps me keep my coffee intake down because most days I'd rather start cracking at the 65oz goal than have another cup (that I do not count towards the goal.)

I was sleeved on 6/4 and was given coffee the next morning. I only had a few sips and still don’t finish a whole cup but I’m only 5-6 days in and have had a little every day.

At 2 months out I tried 8oz of weak coffee mixed with 11 oz premier vanilla shake I felt more energy and it help with Constipation. I gradually moved up to 8 oz of reg strength in 5.5 oz Protein Shake. and I drink 2 cups every morning. I'm now at 10 months out and sometimes I drink a regular cup of coffee with non dairy Creamer, but I still try to drink 2 premier shakes every day to make sure I get in my Proteins I'm at my goal (135 lbs), down 61 lbs and I want to make sure I eat enough vegetables and fruits so I have hard time eating proteins. shake with frozen fruit in blender. Shakes are so sweet that I started mixing then with fruits or unsweeted Decaf tea at a couple of months out. My surgeons PA has always said to try a small amount of something and see how you feel.I've learned pretty quickly what my body doesn't like. This forum has really helped a lot.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, cutiepie34 said:

Is it ok to drink some regular coffee

black, no cream or heaven forbid sugar. (monk fruit works for me)

hells yes, i changed a lot of my life, i gave up a lot of things but i did not ever and will not ever give up the coffee.

lol enjoy