Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year post-op starting to gain weight

Hello All,

I am 1 year VSG Post-Op and I am starting to gain weight out of no where. I have officially lost 100lbs, but ive gained 10lbs in the last few weeks. I do not eat terrible,i stick to my diet mostly while indulging every once in a while on a handfull of chips or a few bites of ice cream.

What bothers me is i have noticed my stomach stretching and im less satisfied like i once was. I exercise regularly, eat a lot of very clean and lean meats (mostly venison, chicken, turkey, etc) and lots of greens and veggies.

I do drink while i eat now - i know, terrible habit - but i wont make any excuses for it. however, its sipping rather than 'drinking'

Im stumped. ive worked so hard to lose the weight and this is crushing my enthusiasm about being healthy and more fit than i was. anyone have any tricks or anything you can help me out with?

My average Caloric intake as of right now is between 1200-1500ca. 65 carb, 0 fat, 65+ Protein, 0 sugar. to hopefully reverse this, i have started on my bariatric diet consisting of around 800-900 calories of clean clean clean eating. But i started this yesterday so i wont see any results.

sorry for the ramble, im just panicking and need to talk to someone lol

yes - it sounds like the calorie level you were at was too high for you (what it takes to maintain weight is a very individual thing). Sounds like you're taking the right steps to reverse it. It does take awhile to re-lose once you're out that far, but lots of people have done it!!

1 hour ago, Nomanativ said:

Hello All,

I am 1 year VSG Post-Op and I am starting to gain weight out of no where. I have officially lost 100lbs, but ive gained 10lbs in the last few weeks. I do not eat terrible,i stick to my diet mostly while indulging every once in a while on a handfull of chips or a few bites of ice cream.

What bothers me is i have noticed my stomach stretching and im less satisfied like i once was. I exercise regularly, eat a lot of very clean and lean meats (mostly venison, chicken, turkey, etc) and lots of greens and veggies.

I do drink while i eat now - i know, terrible habit - but i wont make any excuses for it. however, its sipping rather than 'drinking'

Im stumped. ive worked so hard to lose the weight and this is crushing my enthusiasm about being healthy and more fit than i was. anyone have any tricks or anything you can help me out with?

My average Caloric intake as of right now is between 1200-1500ca. 65 carb, 0 fat, 65+ Protein, 0 sugar. to hopefully reverse this, i have started on my bariatric diet consisting of around 800-900 calories of clean clean clean eating. But i started this yesterday so i wont see any results.

sorry for the ramble, im just panicking and need to talk to someone lol

You seem to know what the causes are, reverse the habits and see if anything changes

Good luck.

First, congratulations on the 100 pound weight loss. Now you know what to do. Go back to weighing and measuring and tracking everything you eat and stick with Protein.

1 hour ago, GradyCat said:

First, congratulations on the 100 pound weight loss. Now you know what to do. Go back to weighing and measuring and tracking everything you eat and stick with Protein.

Thank you for the congrats! And yes, I plan to. Everyone says 'its only 10lbs' but have you actually seen what 10lbs of fat looks like? I've been kicking myself in the a** for this. Just a little panicked is all. I'm sure I can remedy the issue soon if I stick to it :)

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

yes - it sounds like the calorie level you were at was too high for you (what it takes to maintain weight is a very individual thing). Sounds like you're taking the right steps to reverse it. It does take awhile to re-lose once you're out that far, but lots of people have done it!!

Thank you for the encouragement. I knew this forum wouln't let me down. You guys are awesome :)

I agree with the others, you know what your issues are.

I’m not sure what that means lol

Congratulations on the 100 lb weight loss! I have no words of wisdom to add that hasn't already been said above. You've got this! I'm down 94 since 8-15-18 sleeve. Weight loss is really slowing down now and I really do fear the real end to this honeymoon period and how hard I will have to fight to not gain it back.

21 hours ago, Nomanativ said:

My average Caloric intake as of right now is between 1200-1500ca. 65 carb, 0 fat, 65+ Protein, 0 sugar.

Be sure to use an app to track to track your food intake. These numbers that you list aren't adding up. 65 carbs and lets say 100 Protein with zero fat and zero sugar just doesn't add up to 1200 to 1500 calories. So its important that you are tracking your calories and those macros.

I personally would recommend adding some healthy fats and backing off on some of the carbs to better control your appetite. The snacking also adds up quickly, I have started eating sugar snap peas and flax crackers in place of more caloric Snacks if I am really wanting something outside of meal time. Good luck!!

2 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

Be sure to use an app to track to track your food intake. These numbers that you list aren't adding up. 65 carbs and lets say 100 Protein with zero fat and zero sugar just doesn't add up to 1200 to 1500 calories. So its important that you are tracking your calories and those macros.

You're right. that was a guess...everything i eat in essence is very lean and very low fat to no fat. I pretty much eat a lot of leaves and lean grass fed meat. In any sense, you're right. I started using my Baritastic app again and ive been feeling better about everything. The headaches are coming on but nothing im not used to :) thanks for your input. its appreciated.

Fat is essential to health. You shouldn't aim for no fat. Probably aim for about 25% - 30% calories from healthy fats. At 200 lbs. and 1500 max daily caloric intake you shouldn't be gaining. If you aren't underestimating your calories it's probably just Water weight. Salt intake, heavy exercise, switching from a low carb to higher carb diet and increased glucagon storage, can all cause water weight gain. Log your food. Stop drinking with meals as it speeds stomach emptying and makes you hungrier faster. And remember liquid calories are very fattening so stay away from juice, soda, beer, etc. I wouldn't aim for less then 1000 calories a day as I did that a couple months back and now my Hair loss has started back up again. As long as you're weighing yourself and tracking your food intake so you can stay on top of things, you should be fine. Best of luck.