Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not feeling full at all!

Hey all!

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op and on my regular 3 meal a day with 1 snack diet. No mushies or liquids anymore (Yay!). For the first 2 weeks, I felt very full after eating and think I lost about 6 pounds. Now, my appetite is just as heavy as it was pre-surgery, and I'm having a lot of trouble being able to stick to the diet because I get so hungry. I still eat healthy and am adding more Protein and less carbs to my meals (I used to be a carb addict!), but I can't seem to get full after I'm done eating my meal. My doctor says "eat until you're full", but If I were to do that, I'd be eating way too much in my opinion. I'm not drinking while eating, and I wait 30-45 minutes after my last bite until I take a sip of any liquid. I realize there is no restriction until the first fill, but mine is on December 10th, and I'd really like to shed about 5 more lbs by my first fill. Do any of you have suggestions on how to stay full/satisfied?

Thanks!!

I have a similar problem. I am 3.5 weeks since surgery, and am forcing myself to be good. I see the doctor for hopefully my first fill in 2 weeks, and just keep telling myself to ride it out.

I do find that in general, my hunger is less, I am just not feeling satisfied from my meals. So after eating a small amount, i force myself to walk away. So far, this has been working for me.

good luck.

I've been getting hungry between meals also. I go for my first fill on 12/11. I lost 10 pounds my first week and during my post op visit my doctor told me the weight I lost was all me, not the band. He told me not to be surprised if I don't loose any more weight between now and my first fill since that is when the band will be assisting me in loosing weight. Right now it's just important for my body to heal from the surgery, which I had done on 11/5.

Dont get too discouraged right now. You also may not feel any restriction/feeling of being full after your first fill.You are in what I have found to be the more difficult time, where your willpower will come into play. I loaded up on liquids and measured my meal at 4ozs until I got my second fill. It works, but you have to be aware that the band may not do much for you right now. It will be up to you to resist large meals/overeating. Sorry if this isnt what most people like to hear, but its just what I have experienced so far...Dave

Dave,

Your answers are always great, so I am falling into your hands for advice. I too have have only had 1 fill, I was banded 1010, had 1st fill 11/08. I do not feel full and really have to pull my control together. I have heard that it takes sometimes up to the 4th fill for a nice restriction. I beat my self up feeling as though I have not lost enough at this stage. What is a typical calorie day for you?

I do not have a goal to lose weight during this period of healing and getting adjustments. Like anyone, I will be thrilled if I lose and I believe I have due to how my clothes are fitting (I'm not weighing myself at home.) But my goal during this time is to get used to the eating rules and to begin an exercise program. I'm going to be doing this the rest of my life -- it isn't temporary like most diets -- so there's no reason to be impatient, which leads to frustration.

My appetite hasn't returned yet but my doctor told me there was no reason to be hungry and he imposed no limits on the quantity of food -- just when, what, and how.

Lots of Water and sugar free popsicles really helped me until i got my first fill. I was really not all that hungry though. The band itself seemed to help me feel full. Aways ask yourself "Am I really hungry?" Sometimes it is just old habits. Donna

Thanks for your advice everyone. I love to read as usually the answer to my questions is on here. I go for my first fill on Dec 7/07 and can't wait. I have not been drinking a lot of Water so I am going to start and hopefully that helps with my hunger.

I have had no hunger at all since my surgery. There are times when my stomach growls and makes noise but I do not feel any real hunger. Not like I did before my surgery.

I am eating 2ounce meals and drinking 8oz Protein Shakes in between Breakfast and lumch and in between lunch and dinner. I drink Water and I also drink V-8 juice. I sometimes will have a sugar free popsicle just to get a little more liquid in.

The liquid has been the biggest obsticle for me. I am down 2 pant sizes since my surgery. I feel wonderful about that. I have no idea where the scale sits since I am not weighing at home either. I will wait until my Dr's appt on the 10th.

I was told not 2 scale watch and I am sticking to that.

Dave,

Your answers are always great, so I am falling into your hands for advice. I too have have only had 1 fill, I was banded 1010, had 1st fill 11/08. I do not feel full and really have to pull my control together. I have heard that it takes sometimes up to the 4th fill for a nice restriction. I beat my self up feeling as though I have not lost enough at this stage. What is a typical calorie day for you?

Beverly, Thanks for the compliment. My typical day is:

Breakfast shake w/ 2 scoops of Protein mix, 1 Dannon fit and lite yogurt and 3 oz skim milk which is 325 calories and lots of protein, around 59 grams

lunch is normally a can of tuna, the snack size (3oz) with ff mayo and pickle relish 155 calories

dinner Protein Shake 2 scoops, no yogurt, 3 oz skim milk 265 calories

2 sugar free popsicles for Snacks and 2 gallons, yep 2, of crystal light/water

Not real exciting, but it works for me.