Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question for everyone who had gastric sleeve

hello, how are you all. i have a question for all the people who have gone through gastric sleeve.

my mother had her sleeve in march, everything was going smoothly in the first month, but in the 2nd month depression hit her hard, it was a very difficult month for her, but now my mother is experiencing a lot of unplesent things like being hungry all the time even after eating, she is not able to sleep at all at night , she is experiencing pain while eating and not able to eat , she is drinking at lottt of Water but she is not able to urinate at all. she has been taking all her Vitamins and shorts with out fail

i have asked the doctor about these, he says its OK nothing is wrong and gave her Constipation medicine. But i am really worried about my mothers condition because now she can't even urinate at all.

i want to ask all who have gone through sleeve weather they experience this ? if so what can i do to help my mother

Edited by katprincess

Your mom may be legitimately hungry as some people dont feel satified on the early stages of the diet. Things change however with firm/dense Protein intake. Also some people still want to eat solely for the joy or comfort of it, so that may be a factor as well.

Reflux (which may mimic hunger pains) should be considered and meds usually given early post op to help. Is she taking anything?

Also a drastic change in lifestyle and other medications entering and leaving the system can affect sleep and mood as well. Start or stop anything recently?

Also a reasonable amount of time to completely heal and return to normal is important. Some people don't bounce back quickly. Patience is important but be aware of sudden declines as people should get better with time.

When you say she drinks a lot of Water (but cannot urinate) i think in excess of the recommended 64 oz daily. Is this what you mean as well? Is there a way for you to track exact amounts (good info for doctors to have) ?

Perhaps it's time to split up her questions to different doctors besides her bariatric surgeon. They only handle the one thing.

Perhaps speak with the Primary to see if there is a need for a visit to the Urologist and also mood/mental health referrals for a Therapist.

If I was someone going through this I would ultimately just want to feel completely supported. Try to be patient and tolerant, let her journey be self guided but advocate for her when she needs you to.

Good luck💖

Edited by GreenTealael

If she is not able to urinate at all this could be a kidney problem. It is probably best for her to visit an urgent care to seek an answer.

Best of luck!

Urgent care for the 'not urinating' today! The pain could be acid reflux or gall bladder, lab work.

no judgment implied, but has she sought the help of a licensed mental health professional? This may be helpful for her in normalizing to her new normal.