Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foodies - honestly how bad is it?

This whole post has been good to read. I'm having surgery in 2 weeks. I have IBS and already have issues. However, I've been on medication and I've been taking a probiotic. It seems to help a lot and ever since I started doing that I have rarely had any IBS issues. My friend takes the same probiotic and has had improvement...so I think that might be important. I also took peppermint oil for awhile. That was helpful. Anyways, I keep seeing that everyone is different, and I hope to not have as much aggravation. Put I'm thinking the Probiotics are a big help. I never believed in them until my nutritionist recommended me trying them.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to cooking with better ingredients. I've already figured that I'll be saving money on food by not eating out that often and buying less...so I might as well buy better quality food.

1 hour ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Other surgeries once sugar hits the intestine they dump.

actually, only about 30% of RNY patients dump.... or at least that's the statistic I see thrown around all the time. I don't know if there's any hard-core medical research behind that number, but I do know that a lot of us have never dumped.

17 hours ago, Ruth9454 said:

I need some straight talk. I'm considering getting the sleeve, but I'm worried about whether or not I will be able to live with it. while I do want t lose weight, I can't even imagine it so it is hard to have an attitude that I will sacrifice anything for it.

One concern is the food. If you are a foodie like me (I love food but I'm good with small amounts of it), how hard is it to live with this surgery? There is a lot of confusing information around. My potential surgeon says after 2 months, you can eat "normally" just smaller amounts. That sounds fantastic, but it doesn't jive with a lot of what I've read/heard. Some people indicate that they can't have carbs like bread. Others talk about having the kind of meat they eat severely restricted. What is the truth? I'm fine with restricting calories, etc., but I still want to be able to enjoy food.

Another concern is "accidents". One lady I know talks a lot about all of the diarrhea accidents she had after surgery, particularly in the first year. She did have the full bypass, so maybe that is part of it, but I also know a woman who had the sleeve and talks about how she can never be far from a bathroom. I already have some irritable bowel issues (which is part of why I am considering the sleeve rather than bypass), and I really won't be pleased if that is going to get even worse.

I want to have a realistic view of what life would be like post surgery. I really appreciate anything anyone is willing to share.

Hey there!

One way to see if you can live with the lifestyle changes longterm is to start implementing them prior.

The ones you can stick to *may* be the ones that will carry you through permanently (i.e. giving up takeout FOREVER vs only having it for special occasions, not being able to exercise in the gym 24/7 RAIN OR SHINE vs walking in the evenings or giving up bread/rice/pasta FOR ETERNITY vs once a month in maintenance, etc.)

Think about what you absolutely will never give up and be honest with yourself about if it will work with the post op lifestyle. The things you can't commit to that will cause burnout maybe more harm than help, but only you will know.

I'm no special circumstance on either side of the spectrum when it comes to WLS. Mine was slow and unspectacular. But it got me to where i needed to be. I worked arduously for every lb lost. Had to work different angles to accomplish goals. It wasn't too easy but not an epic struggle either.

I have made many concessions and given up many things because ive honestly had a lifetime filled with them anyways (my choice) I'm no self proclaimed foodie because i don't necessarily feel the love with food like some may, but I'm not simply ascetic eating for fuel either.

I do have a thread that's dedicated directly to food on the board so can see what people are actually eating.

Bowel movements with the sleeve aren't that much different pre/post op. Immediately after surgery for me they started out one way then change to another then stabilize (loose, impacted, just right). But this is usually if there are no complications.

This surgery is also referred to as Metabolic Surgery so you have to speak with the Team you choose about the science behind that.

It will matter.

You will not gain and lose like someone who has not had surgery or their metabolism reset/altered. It *may* be possible to gain/lose on less/more calories than before because your BMR will be lowered/accelerated.

I've seen a few posts where people are going in not understanding this and are bewildered later. But there is no precursor to knowing where you will land. Many many many things can effect your outcome.

Your journey is going to be as individual as you are. You will have to tailor it around what will work best for you.

Team/sites/groups/studies can give you expected outcomes based on averages but you may fall at either end of that haunting bell curve. Or like me just sitting somewhere on the middle of it often eating a salad and being a vigilant watchman again regain.

Good Luck 💜

Edited by GreenTealael

I am waiting for the sleeve surgery after having the lap band removed. I was successful with the band until it failed. The first several months you eat very little and take this opportunity to clear your system of carbs, sugar, and sodas. Then when I started eating I realized it is the first 2 mouthfuls that taste the best the rest is mindless eating. So I only ate quality food and only the first 2 mouthfuls. Fortunately, with the band about every several months after a fill, you started over again. Did I miss bread, sure, but only the really good stuff and if I really wanted it I took a pinch and savored it. Learning to eat slowly is the hardest part. As I lost the weight I had more in life than food. I became busy and did things, food was not the center of my life anymore, travel was. If it was so terribly awful I wouldn't be waiting to do it again. Good luck, but be honest with yourself. It is a committment and a life long journey.

I too am a foodie. Still. 4 months out. I don’t have any negative effects and probably eat a better range of nicer food now than I ever have. I bought tonnes of cook books before my op and built myself a new list of breakfasts, lunches and dinners, plus special occasion alternatives because despite being a foodie eating out I realised my repetitive meals at home were all really expensive in terms of wasteful calories and low on anything nutritious. Logging every bite I eat in a tracking app that breaks down everything is the thing that makes all the difference.

I looked for whole grains, lower carb, lower fat, and higher Protein or options where I could substitute.

Best thing I did to give me leeway to have more tasty things was to find a protein Water I liked. I really like Vieve.

But more generally I still enjoy eating out as I share with fella and take home at least another meal worth.

But in the end it depends how important food is versus the things you want to gain. I had decided that I was ready to totally change my relationship with food and relegate it to fuel rather than pleasure and reward.

We contemplate the need for surgery because we have a relationship with food that is not normal. You must examine that relationship very deeply, sure the surgery will physically restrict the food amounts, but after healing you can pretty much eat anything.

So...the takeaway is that overeating is still possible if you graze and eat high calorie non-nutritious food. Your head and emotions will lie, cheat, and steal if don't examine that relationship with food. And don't be lulled by the honeymoon period because during the early months you can eat all kinds of food and still lose because of restriction. Don't test that. Follow the stages of eating progression.

Look up Dr. Weiner, Dr. Duc Vuong on youtube, read their books. Good advice.

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Hey there!

One way to see if you can live with the lifestyle changes longterm is to start implementing them prior.

The ones you can stick to *may* be the ones that will carry you through permanently (i.e. giving up takeout FOREVER vs only having it for special occasions, not being able to exercise in the gym 24/7 RAIN OR SHINE vs walking in the evenings or giving up bread/rice/pasta FOR ETERNITY vs once a month in maintenance, etc.)

Think about what you absolutely will never give up and be honest with yourself about if it will work with the post op lifestyle. The things you can't commit to that will cause burnout maybe more harm than help, but only you will know.

I'm no special circumstance on either side of the spectrum when it comes to WLS. Mine was slow and unspectacular. But it got me to where i needed to be. I worked arduously for every lb lost. Had to work different angles to accomplish goals. It wasn't too easy but not an epic struggle either.

I have made many concessions and given up many things because ive honestly had a lifetime filled with them anyways (my choice) I'm no self proclaimed foodie because i don't necessarily feel the love with food like some may, but I'm not simply ascetic eating for fuel either. I do have a thread that's dedicated directly to food on the board so can see what people ate actually eating.

Bowel movements with the sleeve aren't that much different pre/post op. Immediately after surgery for me they started out one way then change to another then stabilize (loose, impacted, just right). But this is usually if there are no complications.

This surgery is also referred to as Metabolic Surgery so you have to speak with the Team you choose about the science behind that.

It will matter.

You will not gain and lose like someone who has not had surgery or their metabolism reset/altered. It *may* be possible to gain/lose on less/more calories than before because your BMR will be lowered/accelerated.

I've seen a few posts where people are going in not understanding this and are bewildered later. But there is no precursor to knowing where you will land. Many many many things can effect your outcome.

Your journey is going to be as individual as you are. You will have to tailor it around what will work best for you.

Team/sites/groups/studies can give you expected outcomes based on averages but you may fall at either end of that haunting bell curve. Or like me just sitting somewhere on the middle of it often eating a salad and being a vigilant watchman again regain.

Good Luck 💜

Awesome inspired and helpful post!!!

Hats off to all posters here for their great responses!!!

Wow! Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to write such thoughtful replies!

I have been working with a psychiatrist for years to get rid of binge eating disorder, and she thinks I'm ready, because bingeing is no longer an issue for me. The thing is, I could give up bingeing because I could still eat good tasting food just in limited quantities. The thought of never eating good tasting food sounds terrible to me. I'm glad to hear that after the first few months, I will be able to incorporate good tasting food into my diet in limited amounts.

i have a 30+ year history of trying every diet under the sun and not succeeding. I could never lose more than a few pounds and my body would just stop giving up weight, and then I would regain what I did lose and more. Apparently it is because I have an underactive thyroid and PCOS. My body immediately goes into starvation mode. Surgery is supposed to somehow reset the hormones to make it possible to lose weight even for those with PCOS, but I have a fear that I will be the one exception and that it won't work for me. If I could get myself to believe that it would work, I could do what's needed, but I just can't get myself to believe. Too many promises made and broken by diet programs!

Wow! Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to write such thoughtful replies! I have been working with a psychiatrist for years to get rid of binge eating disorder, and she thinks I'm ready, because bingeing is no longer an issue for me. The thing is, I could give up bingeing because I could still eat good tasting food just in limited quantities. The thought of never eating good tasting food sounds terrible to me. I'm glad to hear that after the first few months, I will be able to incorporate good tasting food into my diet in limited amounts. i have a 30+ year history of trying every diet under the sun and not succeeding. I could never lose more than a few pounds and my body would just stop giving up weight, and then I would regain what I did lose and more. Apparently it is because I have an underactive thyroid and PCOS. My body immediately goes into starvation mode. Surgery is supposed to somehow reset the hormones to make it possible to lose weight even for those with PCOS, but I have a fear that I will be the one exception and that it won't work for me. If I could get myself to believe that it would work, I could do what's needed, but I just can't get myself to believe. Too many promises made and broken by diet programs!

I refused to go for bad tasting diet alternatives to good food just cos of this. I hated cottage cheese, think low fat hard cheese is awful and I couldn’t eat a plate full of plain grilled chicken and lentils if you paid me.I’ve got very good at sauces and seasonings with minimal fat and maximum flavour to just coat things without making them ‘slider’ foods (foods that slip through your sleeve too fast to leave you feeling full). Works great. Curries work especially well, but mainly as lunches to avoid reflux.

Also love the deli counter. Do myself mini deli plates with pickles just small sized (max portion now is about 120g - about 4oz, less if meat without sauce or drier meat).

Quick hack is to log the stuff you love then get rid of the bread, rice, Pasta, or potatoes Often an immediate win.

It depends what ‘great tasting’ means to you. I used to think white toast loaded with as much melted butter as it would hold was great tasting, but I rarely miss it now cos the doughy bread just isn’t pleasant and I don’t want a mouthful of fat. I have a quinoa and chia seeded Ryvita with light Philadelphia, cucumber, smoked salmon, lemon juice and ground pepper instead. About 4 x more Protein and 4 x less calories/fat.

Must caveat by saying I may not be losing as fast as others, but starting from 263 on 21st Jan I hit 199 this week -about 45% excess weight loss - in 4 months. Lost very slow for about 4 weeks in the middle then faster last 3-5 weeks.

Planning and tracking intake is so vital as is weighing regularly but not every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, FancyChristine15 said:

Of course there is the risk of side effects with either procedure. From what I've read and what I know though, dumping, which is having to run to the bathroom after you eat, is more common with the bypass. I had the sleeve, and it's happened to me once or twice in 14 months. You will eventually be able to physically eat whatever you want; now, the issue is: will those foods help you reach your weight loss goals? I usually eat really well; for instance, an egg and a couple of bacon for Breakfast, fruit for a snack, grilled chicken for lunch, etc.... but every now and then I allow myself to have something I really want...maybe a donut even, but it's not all the time and it's not regularly. You can have the foods you love, but you may not be able to have them everyday if you want to lose weight.

This post was really informative. As you mentioned that you had experienced dumping, can you please elaborate on the things that you ate that caused you to have dumping? Like what it was, and how much of it? Thanks a lot!

I like to eat out a lot. My husband was very concerned about me having the surgery because he thought he would miss our date nights.

I got the gastric sleeve nine months ago. I am still in losing mode and I eat about 1,000 calories a day. I track calories, Protein, carbs, and Water. I am also one of the very lucky ones. No complications, no dumping, etc. I'm losing a bit slowly, in part, because I'm in perimenopause.

The good news is I can eat all the foods I could before, just in much smaller quantities. I didn't drink soda before and still don't. I liked to drink alcohol before, I have cranked that way back to a special treat. I don't order dessert and rarely even feel like trying a bite. Probably the biggest change is if bread gets put on the table, I don't eat it. If I ate it, I would be about full and the show would be over.

I can eat about 5 ounces and I know I need protein to function so one of my go-to's is raw fish. I eat a lot of sashimi, tuna tartare, oysters, shrimp cocktail, lobster cocktail, etc. These seem like some of the healthiest, tastiest foods to me now. I've figured out foods I can order at ethnic restaurants like chicken Satay at Thai places. I usually order a salad with protein on it or an appetizer. So far, it's working out fine.

I do have to reassure waiters/waitresses a lot that everything was good because I didn't eat much, but I take it home and either eat it the next day or give it to the doggos.

Total foodie here! I still eat out although the thrill isn’t what it used to be. I’m also much more selective. Hubby and I share plates a lot or I pack it up and have leftovers for days.
I still cook my family’s favorite meals and experiment with Pinterest recipes, but I notice I’m not as set on the kids/ hubby finishing their portions. I also stick to my 1/2-3/4 cup portion. When I finish it, I’m done eating, regardless if I feel “hungry” or not. And if kid say they’re full, they’re full (and if they ask for a snack 5 minutes later, the answer is NO 😂!)

I had RNY and I also do not dump. Strangely enough, I’ve always been insulin sensitive and had dumping syndrome prior to surgery but I have not dumped since surgery.

I was given no strict rules for the solid food stage, other than to avoid junk food and refined carbs. To date, I've lost 111 lbs, and I eat a healthy balanced diet in small portions. I have small treats, but they are things that I really enjoy - not cr*ppy food.

I had some problems with Constipation early on, but I think it was because I was eating more Protein than anything else. Once I'd decided to eat more fibrous carbs and slightly less protein, that problem disappeared.

When I go out to dinner, I order exactly what I want and ask to take the rest home. Consequently, I don't feel like my choices have been severely restricted - just the quantities. I still enjoy food immensely.