Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, tal said:

For everyone that has already had surgery so far what exact labs do they have to do on your PRE OP appointment? I have surgery July 18th but i'm supposed to go on July 17th for labs and stuff and i have never had surgery so im not sure exactly what to be ready for that day????

They just checked my weight, blood pressure, asked if I had any sores/rashes..if I had been out of the country, etc. I also brought in all the meds I take on a regular basis..also brought along supplements & they weeded thru those and told me to discontinue most of the supplements (except my bariatric Multi-Vitamin, Calcium, etc. type things).

No more gingko biloba for a while but that is fine. One of my prescription meds, they don't carry @ the hospital so I'm to bring that with me. They gave me some Hibiclens wash (wash they use in the hospital) to 'shower/bathe with' the night before surgery (and the 'night' before that as well).

They took the usual 5 to 6 vials..basically like what you'd get at your primary dr's office - whole CBC panel, etc.

They talked the time I should report prior to surgery, etc. Most of the time the pre-op visit is a fairly easy thing and I've always had the luck of having nice ppl.

Oh, and they talk about any monies you are going to owe, how you are going to pay, etc. but they did not take the payment then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2019 at 12:59 PM, Mom_of_Chaos said:

We’re Alive! Husband & I both had VSG done Tuesday. Both VSG were textbook, unfortunately I was found to have a severe hiatal hernia. My esophagus kept spasming during the first two days causing me to vomit 5/6 times in a row every 20 minutes or so. That part sucked but as far as the pain from the VSG there was and still is hardly any just soreness. At the larger incision site. We were up and walking A LOT in the hospital. We are settled at home now sipping on clear Protein. No regrets.

YAY! I have been thinking about you and your hubby!! Glad to hear you are home. Man, sorry about the hernia! That had to have been a rough period - those first 2 days!

Am glad to hear the pain has not been a big deal! So happy for you both!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mom_of_Chaos said:

CBC, urinalysis, upper GI, chest X-ray, and pulmonary test is what we had.

Oh yeah....urinalysis too...but no upper GI, no x-ray, no pulmonary test. Interesting that they did a chest x-ray...

And I've been changed to a gastric bypass now instead of a sleeve so I was even more surprised that the hospital didn't want anything further but was glad not to have to do 2 pre-op visits!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE those popsicles! I have 10 boxes in my freezer right now! They're on sale this week so I'll be going back for more! My mother says my freezer looks like the store display! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, NancyLF said:

I LOVE those popsicles! I have 10 boxes in my freezer right now! They're on sale this week so I'll be going back for more! My mother says my freezer looks like the store display! LOL!

Sale? Hopefully like somewhere we might have in common between TX and NY...Hhmmm..Sam's club? Kroger?

LOL about your Mom's comment!! If I'm ever in NY, I'll know who has the market cornered on them! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally bought the sugar free popsicles and they are so good I am surprised how sweet they taste. Only disappointment is they only had 2 cherry ones in the whole pack lol!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

LOL...they were good. The sugar free Outshine popsicles are my favorite by far...don't taste quite as 'artificially flavored'...but considering it is often over 100 degrees here in TX, ANY popsicle sounds good most of the time!

My surgery date slid BACK from 7/1 to 7/25 so after being on Day 13 of my pre-op diet...to realize with new dr that orig dr's office was indeed not going to cooperate and send records over...I realized I would have a brief break...which may sound good but since I was on day THIRTEEN of pre-op, I was SO looking forward to getting the surgery and moving into the post-op even knowing I'd be taking in far less for a while.

Blah..by the time my surgery date comes around...I'll be like on day 30-something of preop diet. lol

Anyone else out there with a 7/25 date? I was given 7/22 as a choice as well but eldest is visiting from PA and she leaves on 7/25 (will be there for my surgery and DFW airport is not far away from hospital). I decided to wait until the tail end of her visit before having the surgery.

I am looking for a good sugarfree popsicle and i pulled the ones you said up to see if they had them here in PA. Those are not popsicles they are fruit bars. I know on my preop diet i was not allowed any fruit or fruit juice as they are sugar. I would really check to make sure it is ok to consume. You could always save them till you are cleared after surgery and off Clear Liquids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My surgery is on 7/23 and I'm also in the DFW area! How exciting! Who is your Surgeon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

I am looking for a good sugarfree popsicle and i pulled the ones you said up to see if they had them here in PA. Those are not popsicles they are fruit bars. I know on my preop diet i was not allowed any fruit or fruit juice as they are sugar. I would really check to make sure it is ok to consume. You could always save them till you are cleared after surgery and off Clear Liquids.

Yeah the only sugar free pops I've found were from the brand Popsicle. Outshine has a 'no sugar added' version that technically isn't sugar free but the flavors close (like 2g per popsicle).

Outside of those seems like the best thing to do is get creative making your own SF pops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

07/12/2019 10:33 PM, Midnightsun said:





I am looking for a good sugarfree popsicle and i pulled the ones you said up to see if they had them here in PA. Those are not popsicles they are fruit bars. I know on my preop diet i was not allowed any fruit or fruit juice as they are sugar. I would really check to make sure it is ok to consume. You could always save them till you are cleared after surgery and off Clear Liquids.


Whoa let’s step down off the judgey pedestal. The brand has 2g of sugar and was specifically recommended by my surgeons office so please calm down. As we’ve seen so many times before everyone’s surgeon has different suggestions, and lately people around here have been so quick to jump on a high horse and correct people saying they are wrong about everything from how they are feeling to what they are eating .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmmmm yummy fruit bars! My doctors office also said they are ok. And if we are getting technical, the “sugar free” popsicle brand has carbs so... carbs turn to sugar. I guess if you’re that concerned about of a couple grams of sugars, you’re gonna have a pretty boring rest of your life. Everything has sugars, it’s called balance! She’s not asking about a Dove double chocolate bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

They just checked my weight, blood pressure, asked if I had any sores/rashes..if I had been out of the country, etc. I also brought in all the meds I take on a regular basis..also brought along supplements & they weeded thru those and told me to discontinue most of the supplements (except my bariatric Multi-Vitamin, Calcium, etc. type things).

No more gingko biloba for a while but that is fine. One of my prescription meds, they don't carry @ the hospital so I'm to bring that with me. They gave me some Hibiclens wash (wash they use in the hospital) to 'shower/bathe with' the night before surgery (and the 'night' before that as well).

They took the usual 5 to 6 vials..basically like what you'd get at your primary dr's office - whole CBC panel, etc.

They talked the time I should report prior to surgery, etc. Most of the time the pre-op visit is a fairly easy thing and I've always had the luck of having nice ppl.

Oh, and they talk about any monies you are going to owe, how you are going to pay, etc. but they did not take the payment then.

Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sharon B A said:

My surgery is on 7/23 and I'm also in the DFW area! How exciting! Who is your Surgeon?

Yay, Texas! My surgeon is Dr. Chad Carlton (he's way up in Frisco) but operates @ Baylor Trophy Club thankfully. Who is yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheJuice202 said:

eah the only sugar free pops I've found were from the brand Popsicle. Outshine has a 'no sugar added' version that technically isn't sugar free but the flavors close (like 2g per popsicle).

The no sugar version are the ones I'm eating. They are 10 calories...in the end it seems that most liver shrink diets are largely based on or at some point...being on mostly liquids...and under 800 calories (maybe more for some ppl) as it is the extreme low calories that I've heard ultimately help to shrink the liver (anyone with a greater understanding, feel free to let us know more) I'm unsure if the 'things that are being consumed' play a larger role in the shrinking of said liver or not.

My dr doesn't even have the 'clear liquids phase'..for the 2 days prior to operation. I have the Popsicle brand as well and sometimes i alternate, but the Outshine ones taste so much better. My pre-op plan allows for a Protein Bar 2 x's a day up until the day before surgery which I am not doing. I figure the Outshine bars have to be a better 'closer to full liquids' choice than those bars even though that is NOT a requirement of my pre-op diet.

I do understand that for other people, they all have diff pre-op diets. When in doubt, ask your dr's office - mine knows I eat the Outshine popsicles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      First head cold since the surgery....at least I know that my body is back to "normal". /sigh
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Dietitian scheduled 11/18
      Mental Evaluation scheduled 11/18
      OMG we moving forward
      All things working toward my Dec 9th surgery date!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

      Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×