Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Evening,

I am well on my road to WLS.

However, I get the results back from my pre-op tests and the only negative that came back was my ecg.

It said it was abnormal. 😥 I just want to know if this is going to holdup or even cancel my surgery at all.

I have been thinking about having WLS for at least 8 years. Now I have come so far only to possibly be setback forever.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what was/were the outcome.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. My surgery is scheduled for 06/03/19.

Thanks in Advance (Sigh)😨

I'm no Dr, but once they clear this issue up, I bet you would be a great candidate for surgery.

It should make your health better!

Good luck!

Gabybab,

I hope so too. I have to come so far and don't want to let anything stand in my way. I have done some research and hopefully it will be all cleared up before 06/03. Maybe I can redo the ecg. Anyways, I will keep you/everyone posted. I see you had the sleeve procedure. Any words of wisdom?

41 minutes ago, Purpledva said:

Gabybab,

I hope so too. I have to come so far and don't want to let anything stand in my way. I have done some research and hopefully it will be all cleared up before 06/03. Maybe I can redo the ecg. Anyways, I will keep you/everyone posted. I see you had the sleeve procedure. Any words of wisdom?

Fitbit! Look forward to seeing you succeed! I'm going to follow you so I can see your outcome!

Fitbit??!!! I got mines in August of 2018. It was instrumental in my journey to WLS. I monitor my heart rate and step count on a daily basis. I will keep you posted after my next visit to the doctor on 05/16. Hopefully he will give me the all clear. So I am keeping my fingers crossed............

It really depends on what was abnormal and if they need follow up tests. Many people have an abnormal ekg but it doesn’t cause an physical symptoms or problems

49Nash,

I sure hope so. I will keep everyone posted... All of the other tests have come back and everything is ok.

I am going to start following you if you don't mind.

20 minutes ago, 49Nash said:

It really depends on what was abnormal and if they need follow up tests. Many people have an abnormal ekg but it doesn’t cause an physical symptoms or problems

Exactly! Mine was abnormal so they did an echocardiogram/stress test. Other than a slight murmur it was all good. WLS surgery went on as planned.

I had an irregular ekg about a year ago. I got really scared and was told to see a cardiologist. Turns out, my lungs were having some issues due to some construction we had in the house, so my oxygen was all screwed up. Anyways, a few weeks later, i had another ekg and it was fine. I guess the point is, it all comes down to what the issue is. It might be something that was just off at the time. I hope it works out for you. I've had to wait 8 months because of insurance requirements, and as the date gets closer, I get more anxious. Having something like that as a set back can stress you out...but you'll be ok.

FWIW, before a surgery ( not my VSG) a few years ago, my EKG came back wonky. Had to go to the cardiologist. Turns out, first person put the leads in the wrong places for someone with big boobs (I was about a 42H or I at the time) and if the tech puts the leads in the wrong place it comes up as long QT syndrome. I was fine and we had a really good laugh about it.

The last Endoscopy I had on April 12, the anesthesia doctor noticed when listening with her stethoscope that I had a noticable heart murmur, did not stop my testing, she was present instead of the resident planned and did my sedation herself. My hospital Ohio State University- Wexner Medical Center as well as being a Bariatric Center of Excellence is a teaching facility affiliated with the College of Medicine at Ohio State. So I was special enough for special treatment. Everything went well, neither that or my Thoracic Aorta Aneurysm have any trouble. I am a Pretty Strong Old Chickadee, after All!

Abnormal ekg is not always a showstopper. They may want you to get clearance from a cardiologist.

Depends on what exactly is abnormal with the EKG. Some abnormalities can be a normal variant for you, some might indicate an electrolyte imbalance, some might be a congenital defect, and some can be abnormal due to lead placement. I do EKGs all the time and can tell you that ONE improperly placed electrode can screw the whole thing up, they need to be placed between ribs and not over bone. Also, it's more difficult to find the proper landmarks to place the EKG leads on busty women and the obese. Even being obese myself I was not blessed up top and still have difficulty finding the landmarks on me without extra breast tissue.

Good Evening,
I am well on my road to WLS.
However, I get the results back from my pre-op tests and the only negative that came back was my ecg.
It said it was abnormal. I just want to know if this is going to holdup or even cancel my surgery at all.
I have been thinking about having WLS for at least 8 years. Now I have come so far only to possibly be setback forever.
Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what was/were the outcome.
Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. My surgery is scheduled for 06/03/19.
Thanks in Advance (Sigh)
You will be fine! My ekg and my urinalysis came back abnormal. I too thought that is was going to be a set back for my surgery. My surgeon just asked me to retake both. The 2nd tech told me to relax and she took it twice. And it came back fine on the 2nd attempt. My surgery was on it's scheduled day, July 25, 2018. I'm 10 months out and 95 pounds down. Don't stress!! You will be fine! Good luck on your journey!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

But you want to make sure your heart is okay for surgery, so be careful and get another EKG and see a cardiologist and get checked out.