Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not drinking with meals

I am really trying to 'get with the program' and divide my eating time from when I drink. I have to admit that I haven't been getting my quota of fluids in and am rectifying that now. But I have had the weirdest sensation in relation to not drinking fluids with meals. At times, I feel a sudden desperation to have a drink to wash stuff down almost like a person who can't get air. Sort of almost a small panic-y feeling! I know I need to pound Water in between meals. And I realize I have probably been dehydrated. But I just thought this was such an unusual reaction. The first time I felt it, it sort of startled me and of course I immediately got something to drink. Now that I am aware of it, I am prepared. It's not like a constant feeling but all of a sudden, perhaps midway through eating, it surfaces. Just wondered if anyone else had had this feeling.

I don't have the actual "panic attack" like you're experiencing, but the first couple of weeks it was like there was something 'missing' at the dinner table! (I never drank before with Breakfast or lunch, but I sure DID for dinner!)

And some of the foods we've been eating (I was banded four days after you) have been kind of dry--i.e. refried Beans (even with cheese) or mashed potatoes--the kind of foods that just cry out for some sort of liquid.

I now find that the hour until I can drink after meals goes by so very quickly--I look up and I can begin drinking again.

I am still bad with Water intake--unless you count the two cups of coffee I get in every morning. Then I usually go to a Protein shake, followed by lunch. Afternoons, I do juice of some sort (tomato, cranberry) and sometimes I'll do chicken broth Protein (Welcome to the unjury Homepage) and sometimes I'll hit some Water in between.

Evenings are for a sugar-free hot chocolate (it's getting cold in Pa!)--but I definitely try to mix up my liquid intake each day! :bounce:

funny, i had this happen to me just the other day. i had made zatarain's red Beans and rice and i had added smoked turkey sausage. i sat down with my 1/4 cup, and drank a glass of Water before i sat down. half way thru, i felt this terrible urge to drink. it was the first time that i REALLY wanted to drink during my meal. i did not drink, but it was hard not, too. for me, this was the first "dry" food that i had eaten, the sauce and rice was very salty and thick.

i'm officially in the stage now where i can eat normal foods, but i'm finding that i do not like a lot of stuff because it is simply too dry.

This has been a big issue for me, not drinking with meals and waiting 2 hours after meals to drink...hard to get in all the Water you need when you lose 6 hours of drinking time cause you ate. Sometimes I have to decide am I really ready not to drink for 2 hours before I eat, cause being diabetic it is hard not to drink for 2 hours--which my doctor says to do...I have found brushing my teeth a lot after eating helps the dry mouth and gum for a few minutes after meals helps also. I also make sure I drink right up 'til meal time so I am hydrated before I eat. This has been the hardest part of this for me.

My surgeon's orders are to stop drinking 1/2 hour before meals and to wait 45 minutes to an hour afterwards to start again. But I'm not a diabetic--maybe that's why you have to wait 2 hours??

Anyway, in the hospital they gave me a tube of wonderful stuff called "Toothete Mouth Moisturizer", a little bit bigger than a tube of Blistex but you just run it around the inside of your mouth when it's dry--man, what a wonderful feeling!

Maybe the drug store would have that to help you...

Be very careful drinking when your eating , especially right after you take bites. This is how i PB'ed the first time and I am not kidding I literally felt like I was suffocating. The liquid made the food expand in my stoma because it was not all the way down yet and I am not kidding ya'll I felt like i was choking. It was THE MOST painful experience i have ever had. My husband came running in and was about to do the Heimlich on me

SO I would NOT Advice drinking , Especially RIGHT after taking a bite !!!

I drink right up until the meal , that helps cut down on the suden dehydration feeling .

HTH

Mindy

Yeah, really try hard to not drink while eating. I drink right up to eating, then if I have something thats salty, I wait a minute or two, until I know the food has at least made its way to the pouch, then I take a very small sip. Then proceed to put the drink at least 3ft away, so I can't just grab it. It was one of the hardest things for me to break. But now, I notice that everyone else that I'm eating with can drink gallons of soda, ice tea, juice, etc with their meals and it makes me gag now...Yuck.

Yeah, really try hard to not drink while eating. I drink right up to eating, then if I have something thats salty, I wait a minute or two, until I know the food has at least made its way to the pouch, then I take a very small sip. Then proceed to put the drink at least 3ft away, so I can't just grab it. It was one of the hardest things for me to break. But now, I notice that everyone else that I'm eating with can drink gallons of soda, ice tea, juice, etc with their meals and it makes me gag now...Yuck.

If im at a restaurant i drink up until my meal comes then when the food comes I ask the waiter to either take my drink or I ask for a to go cup .

I put my drink in the cup and take it with me to drink when the hour is up .

After what happened the one time i drank after eating I will NEVER Do it again. It scared the sh*t out of me .

Mindy

Same here. At a restaurant a lot of the time I will drink up until I get my food. Any other time I wait the normal time. After a while you get used to drinking without eating. I never thought I could. Even though I should have, I didn't start until after my first fill. It really don't feel comfortable eating and drinking anymore.

I don't have a problem getting in my Fluid though. Asside from times around meals, I can drink almost normally.

I must admit with no restriction I have tested the waters a time or two with meals and have had no problem. I know that will change with the next fill. But it's not a big gulp , it's a sip. Also I have no problems most days getting in about 80 ozs of Water. I keep the 20 oz bottle of water and on my drive to work drink the entire 20 ozs. I eat about 30 mins after I get to work, then 30 minutes later gulp another 20 ozs down , then about 16 ozs of Green Tea. On my way home another 20 then a 20 oz before bed. Sometimes I get about 100 ozs.

I must admit with no restriction I have tested the waters a time or two with meals and have had no problem. I know that will change with the next fill. But it's not a big gulp , it's a sip. Also I have no problems most days getting in about 80 ozs of Water. I keep the 20 oz bottle of Water and on my drive to work drink the entire 20 ozs. I eat about 30 mins after I get to work, then 30 minutes later gulp another 20 ozs down , then about 16 ozs of Green Tea. On my way home another 20 then a 20 oz before bed. Sometimes I get about 100 ozs.

The problem also isnt with just the issue I had.

It is also drinking after eating can wash the food through the stoma too quickly and cause hunger to onset sooner than needed.

Also over time it can stretch the pouch .

I think I got that right ?? LOL

Mindy

i set up my outlook calender to remind me when it is time to drink whenever i go to work. i usually wake up at 6 a.m. and fix a crystal light orange. i then drink it and take all of my meds. i have my Breakfast before 8 a.m. then i drink 16 oz. at 9 a.m. and again at 11 a.m. Then at noon i go on my lunch break and drink about 8 oz, then eat right after drinking (this is my doc's recommendation), then i can drink at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. w/ 16 oz each time. then i drink a little Water before i eat dinner. and i usually have the time and the thirst to drink 2 more 16 oz glasses before i go to bed.

now, i mix most of my drinks with crystal light, for some reason i cannot get Water to go down as well. i feel like the back of my throat tightens and i swallow too much air, because i have to make myself swallow instead of doing it instinctively. weird, i know.

my doctor says that we should wait one to one and a half hours after eating before we drink. i have drank before when i was snacking, but either way i do, i do not feel that it affects my hunger. however, most often that not, i stick with that rule. it seems to be the only one i can stick to.