Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateaus/gains 4 months post-op

So I had the sleeve on the 17 of December 2018. I have lost a lot. 151 since November 5, which was when I started the pre-op diet. My calorie intake has went up a bit, but I’m never over 1500 and they are healthy calories. My exercise routine has went up drastically however. Over 15000 steps every day which include lots of hiking. Over the last two weeks not have I only not lost, but I have actually gained 1 pound. Has anyone had an experience like this, and ideas what’s going on? I’m still at 374 pounds so I have a lot still lose.

Edited by Jed J

Yes, I'm also 4 months post-op and I just had my first gain after eating a handful of crackers the other day. My calories were still good, under 1,000 but they've been creeping up from averaging 650 to averaging 850-900, so I guess I'm going to have to be more careful and cut back even though my surgeon said calories didn't matter as long as it was Protein. I guess ANY carbs are going to throw my body out of whack, setting me back to weeks to re-lose it and start losing more. Damn it!

I can gain and lose 5-7 lbs easily. Healthy foods or not sometimes you may be eating your maintenance/ gaining caloric intake, retaining Water even needing a proper bowel movement. Track to see if there are aby discernable patterns early instead of waiting until it's a lot of weight gained that you will struggle to lose.

Congratulations so far 💜

I am down 60lbs since 12/18/18, last 12 or so to go and weight loss stalled . Have added in a lot of strength training because I couldn’t even lift my suitcase into the overhead of a plane ! Taking measurements and they are smaller so I am assuming it’s muscle offsetting fat loss , but truthfully with travel I have let a few bad choices sneak in . Assume I have to buckle down and eat perfectly and exercise to get to goal . No shortcut here it seems !

I had a pattern all the way down after three months where I would rapidly lose in one week, go up a pound and maintain for three weeks and have a big drop again over one week. It was bizarre and frustrating. Good news is with this I couldn't give up if I was just dieting normally I surely would have given up every time after three hard weeks with nothing to show for it. Now what was also very strange was during the big drops my clothes fit the same but over the three weeks my pant size would drop. The size drops were very slow at first until I got to about a size ten and then it picked up quickly. Just keep doing the next right thing and I promise it will pay off, even if it doesn't happen on your schedule it will happen.

Congrats on 151lbs in 4 months! Outstanding. Congrats on getting active!!! Wooot! Great changes.

Stalls do happen, but at your current size, if your stall has lasted more than 3 weeks (no move on scale or tape measure/waist-height ratio), then you are not stalled, you are in maintenance IMHO.

I'd weigh, measure, plan and log every bite. Weight loss is born in the kitchen not through working out/hiking. :)