Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I really wanted to be one of those people who posted a triumphant positive story about getting a bypass surgery with no complications. Sadly that hasn’t been the case. I had a gastric bypass done on April 1 and was discharged on April 2. I was feeling good, walking, and able to sip liquids. My surgeon said everything was routine and I was looking good. When I went home the evening of April 2, I felt a little bloated but not terrible. By 1:30a I woke up from my sleep feeling nauseous and started throwing up. By 4a on April 3 I was back in the hospital. My surgeon discovered that there was twisting in my small intestines which was preventing my liquids from going down. April 4 I was back in surgery. My surgeon says that she’s fixed the problem but in order to do so, a long surgical cut had to be made (no more tiny laparoscopic scars for me). I woke up in serious pain but still trying to have positive spirit. I’ve been poked a prodded for blood samples, redoing IV lines, etc. It’s now April 6, I’m still in the hospital because I basically can’t move without a nurses help and I’m still experiencing serious pain. Ive sipped a bit of Water and feel so full after just sipping that I’m questioning if the corrective surgery on my intestines was done right. Did I make the biggest mistake of my life. I just question why I did this to myself. I feel my positive spirit disappearing. I question if I’ll be ok. I keep thinking they will send me home and another complication will pop up. This is the first time in life where I cannot function without third party assistance and I feel so helpless.

Complications are terrible. So glad your Surgeon was able to catch and correct them. Stay strong. Safe recovery

💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Edited by GreenTealael

Hang in there. You will be ok. It's just going to take a bit more time.

It's a real shock to your system when you find out that things didn't go to plan and you have so many questions going around your head... why me, why did I do this, could I have done something to prevent this, etc etc. Unfortunately it's just the luck of the (crappy) draw :( Big hugs to you. It's really hard, but try to give in to it right now and just let your body heal. You're just taking the scenic route ❤️

I think these surgeries are a "hope for the best but prepare for the worst" kind of scenario. It sounds like you have a good surgeon that took your complaints seriously. Too often people will feel like something isn't right and their complaints are considered by their surgical team as just a bunch of whining. I'm glad to hear you are on track with correcting this issue and will soon be on the path to recovery and your intended goals. Look at it as a positive thing that you have a team that takes you seriously and addressed the problem quickly. There's some scary stories out there where people weren't taken seriously and their conditions ended up a lot worse because they weren't addressed soon enough. Chin up, you'll be on here sharing your post-op victories in no time!

Best wishes that all goes smoothly from here on out!

Hopeful wishes from another " I didn't expect THIS" RnY, we will and shall soon have things smooth out, that's what I believe!

Goodluck, stay positive and I pray you get thru the rough patch!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I've had a tough go of recovery (nothing like you) & I was second guessing my decision to have the sleeve. I'm slowly getting better every day and am feeling even though it's been tough, I don't regret it.

I was only getting bigger & bigger. I'm sure you and I will come to think this is the best thing we have done.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Best wishes!

I had a few complications post-op (marginal ulcer, hernia, gallbladder removal, med change required because my BP was bottoming out). I wasn't losing weight like I anticipated. Blah blah. But, like I predicted in my "yup. i regret this." post... the further away from the complications you get, the less you have the feeling of regret. Now that it's all over with and I can function like everyone else who had successful surgery, I feel less WTF about it. It'll get better with time. Glad you have a surgeon who takes you seriously! I don't know what I would have done if mine hadn't.

So I really wanted to be one of those people who posted a triumphant positive story about getting a bypass surgery with no complications. Sadly that hasn’t been the case. I had a gastric bypass done on April 1 and was discharged on April 2. I was feeling good, walking, and able to sip liquids. My surgeon said everything was routine and I was looking good. When I went home the evening of April 2, I felt a little bloated but not terrible. By 1:30a I woke up from my sleep feeling nauseous and started throwing up. By 4a on April 3 I was back in the hospital. My surgeon discovered that there was twisting in my small intestines which was preventing my liquids from going down. April 4 I was back in surgery. My surgeon says that she’s fixed the problem but in order to do so, a long surgical cut had to be made (no more tiny laparoscopic scars for me). I woke up in serious pain but still trying to have positive spirit. I’ve been poked a prodded for blood samples, redoing IV lines, etc. It’s now April 6, I’m still in the hospital because I basically can’t move without a nurses help and I’m still experiencing serious pain. Ive sipped a bit of Water and feel so full after just sipping that I’m questioning if the corrective surgery on my intestines was done right. Did I make the biggest mistake of my life. I just question why I did this to myself. I feel my positive spirit disappearing. I question if I’ll be ok. I keep thinking they will send me home and another complication will pop up. This is the first time in life where I cannot function without third party assistance and I feel so helpless.
Let me add my condolences for the rough time you have had after your surgery, and my best wishes for a speedy recovery! Hang in there, we are here for you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app