Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Question for the low end BMI people who got the sleeve. How has your weight loss been afterwards? Did you drop fast, slow, steady? I know everyone is different but kind of curious. Thank you for your feedback!

Hello
I was on the lower BMI end. I have dropped 50 lbs in 4 months. I have about 10-12 lbs more to meet my doctors goal. I think I will have to be more strict on my eating habits to get there. I have been pretty steady on lack of weight loss the last 3 weeks. I have also been sick and on steroids so that could play a roll.
The surgery was a blessing for me. I feel amazing. My body doesn’t hurt like it did when carrying the extra weight.

That’s such good news! I hear about a lot of stalls and I just am praying I’m steady with the weight loss. I think a lot of us have this fear of still not being able to lose the weight even after going through such drastic measures.

i was low BMI and i lost 50lbs within a month then it slowed it way down im 3 months out and i am losing 1 to 2lbs a week. I haven't had any issues other than battling Constipation.

I’m “low BMI” 5 weeks post op. I would say yes, compared to others who are not categorized as “low”, my weight is definitely coming off slower. That said it seems to be somewhat consistent. It slowed to a crawl during week three but never officially stalled. At that point I was losing .2 pounds every day or every other day.

now I seem to be losing about .2-.4 pounds a day at this rate. My BMI is already back down to a 27. I’m not dissatisfied with my progress until I start comparing my stats with others losing 10 pounds a week. I’m wanting to lose 60 pounds. I have already lost over a third of my excess weight and I’m only a month and a week out.

I'm just curious to those with low bmi, can you do a surgery in the us with a 35 bmi no co-morbidities?

You can do it in the US with a 30 BMI no comorbidities as self pay. I am pretty certain for insurance to even consider it you have to be 35

I had to call around but I found numerous surgeons that would do the procedure at 30. Others had to cut off’s at 32. Sometimes the receptionist will say no but if you asked to speak to a nurse or doctor they will come back with a yes.

I lost 18 lbs in 22 days my bmi was 39. I was the smallest in the group of ppl that were in the classes at same time. I dont know if 39 is considered lower bmi.

I started the process with a BMI of 37.5 last April and I weighed in at 256 during my first bariatric consult. On the day of surgery (12/17/18), I weighed 234 and I had a BMI of 34.5. By New Years Eve, I was down to 224. On January 15, I was down to 212. By January 30, I was down to 204. On February 15, I was down to 197. On March 1, I weighed 196.7. March 15, I weighed 196.1. Today I weighed 193.2. So you can see that it came off fast and has leveled off. I have lost 2 inches off my waist since March 1, so the inches are coming off if the weight isn't. I follow a strict diet and exercise program--which is pretty intense, but I am really enjoying it. I feel awesome. Here's some photos documenting the journey.

Last Summer this is me at 255 or so:

IMG_8398.thumb.jpg.798fc1d4c49215c6978e577f7ddcbdb0.jpg

This is me on Surgery Day (12/17/18) (weight: 234):

20181217_093529.thumb.jpg.1a9303e8638840ab50d15f9e707e342b.jpg

This is me on January 17, 2019 (Weight: 210)

20190117_170602.thumb.jpg.5065485b44a04358a1ecca18dbdb35c6.jpg

This is me on February 28, 2019 (weight: 197.8)

20190228_113723.thumb.jpg.503e823a73ac966f43606cdf74911b70.jpg

This is me on March 23, 2019 (Weight: 192.1):

20190323_220628.thumb.jpg.88661d7d4dbb14ae0819a9242ee9ff3e.jpg

So, the weight loss has slowed up, but that's ok. I want to lose another 10-15 pounds, but I don't "need" to lose that weight. I am more concerned at this point with improving my physical conditioning and strength. The weight came off so fast that I didn't really "see" the difference in the mirror, but the photos show a dramatic change. I still hasn't really sunk in yet, but it's kind of like winning the health lottery. I am look healthy and fit. I am no longer diabetic according to my doctors. My BP is normal and my blood tests look great 3 months post op. Huge improvements. Honestly, having this surgery is the best thing I ever did for myself. I wish I had done this sooner--but better late than never. Obviously, the surgery helps get the ball rolling and gives you the tool so that the rest of the changes you make in your lifestyle will actually work for you. I have tried to do this before with hardcore dieting and exercise and I would just hit a wall and then lose ground. Not anymore!! If 191 is my wall, that's ok for me--but I think I'll still lose some more weight over the next few months, but the changes won't be as dramatic or noticeable (on the scale or otherwise).

I started with a BMI of 36 and the loss has been extremely slow. I also have PCOS which is a hormonal condition, and was warned that we tend to lose slower anyway. I have only lost 16 lbs in the 7 weeks since surgery. I am disappointed, but it's still 16 lbs more than I would have lost. I weigh every day and track everything - Protein, calories, carbs, Water, exercise, poops. I know I'm doing everything right - but I ate 1300 cals or less a day for years prior to surgery (have been tracking everything in MFP for 7 years now) and still didn't lose. In the back of my mind is the fear that I will be the only one that surgery doesn't work for because my metabolism is so broken.

I stalled on day 10 and have had many since - I just keep trying to change things up to kick start it again, but it does feel a little like spinning plates in the air, LOL.

I feel like you just wrote my story.
Dr is going to check my thyroid. I eat less than 400 cals and have not lost weight in 2 weeks. Never was a heavy eater. Now I’m eating nothing. Getting Protein in becuase I refuse to do any other meat than tuna steaks so. I have no idea what to do next.

@ Steve. I’m totally impressed by your story. Though it totally made me depressed for myself.