Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the pain stop?

So I had gastric sleeve surgery on 11/3 of this year so almost at a week now. However, the pain hasn’t really been any better.

The main source of the pain is the dent you’re left with after the surgery (on the right side). I haven’t really had any gas pain and I lost like 8-9kg(17-19 pounds). Without any nausea (only on the first day) or much of everything else the surgery is associated with.

Everytime I move that place where the dent is hurts a lot, and I can barely even stand up straight for more then a few minutes without feeling like my insides are gonna pop out, and I have to hold my stomach (the area where the dent is) to stop it hurting faster.

I’ve been moving around a few times a few minutes a day. Cause I can barely walk for 5 minutes straight.

sleeping hasn’t been any better also. I’m mostly a side and a stomach sleeper. Sleeping on the back is annoying, I can try to sleep on the left side, but I have to hold on my blanket to my stomach to stop it from hurting and the feeling of moving around.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

So you had the surgery March 11 and it's March 17th now. It took me a week or maybe even a bit longer to be able to sleep on my side.

This concerns me.

2 hours ago, Fatooma92 said:

Everytime I move that place where the dent is hurts a lot, and I can barely even stand up straight for more then a few minutes without feeling like my insides are gonna pop out, and I have to hold my stomach (the area where the dent is) to stop it hurting faster.

I’ve been moving around a few times a few minutes a day. Cause I can barely walk for 5 minutes straight.

I don't quite know what you mean about the dent. My suggestion is to call your surgeon's office. Good luck and feel better,

When is your f/u with your surgeon? I didn't have any pain around my incisions or "dent" or really any pain at all. Can you call your doctor's office?

Mine looked like a slight dent near my belly button because of swelling around the area. An ice pack helped and sometimes a heating pad felt good as well. I walked with a hunch for more than a week and certain movements like getting up from a laying position felt like a pulled muscle for quite a bit. The pillow or blanket against your tummy is a huge relief. I don’t think I slept comfortably on my side for a month. But if you’re concerned definitely call your surgeons office. Better safe than sorry!

My follow up isn’t until the 27th.

What I mean of the dent/hole is the cut where they took the stomach out.

They told me in the hospital that the reason for it is internal incisions. They said it would get better in a few days. It kind of has (the pain), however, standing and moving around hasn’t gotten any better since I left the hospital.

I know what you mean about the larger incision that they took the stomach out through. It’s stitched a little deeper and looks different than the other incisions. I would keep trying to stand up straight stretch your back out five times and hour While taking short steps. You should be able to stand up straight and if you truly can’t without severe pain, I would give your doctor a call tomorrow

And for sleeping, you can try a body pillow? It can help you prop on your side with less discomfort

It's very early still. I was in tremendous pain for over a week and use my pain meds for about 10 days. They sent me home with oxycodone and hydrocodone and it helped a lot. I hope you feel better soon!

By two weeks I felt so much better. Give yourself some time

10 hours ago, Fatooma92 said:

So I had gastric sleeve surgery on 11/3 of this year so almost at a week now. However, the pain hasn’t really been any better.

The main source of the pain is the dent you’re left with after the surgery (on the right side). I haven’t really had any gas pain and I lost like 8-9kg(17-19 pounds). Without any nausea (only on the first day) or much of everything else the surgery is associated with.

sleeping hasn’t been any better also. I’m mostly a side and a stomach sleeper. sleeping on the back is annoying, I can try to sleep on the left side, but I have to hold on my blanket to my stomach to stop it from hurting and the feeling of moving around.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I think it was 2-3 weeks and I slept in the recliner on the couch until week 3 because sleeping was really painful. For the first two weeks I walked with a pillow against my stomach to help.

Thanks, for your answers. I ended up buying a body pillow, so hopefully it will help me sleep better and more at ease.

I’ll try to go with the pain for now and I guess not move around too much, and hopefully it will go away soon.

Edited by Fatooma92

1 minute ago, Fatooma92 said:

Thanks, for your answers. I ended up buying a body pillow, so hopefully it will help me sleep better and more at ease.

I’ll try to go with the pain for now and I guess not move around too much, and hopefully it will go away soon.

You are only a week out it will get better trust me it takes aleast 2 week for the pain to subside in some every they did give u pain meds

They didn’t give me any pain killers. My doctor told me that if there is any pain Panadol works for this, but I haven’t taken it yet, cause I don’t know how it would react. I am taking two other pills right now to prevent nausea (for maybe two more days).

56 minutes ago, Fatooma92 said:

They didn’t give me any pain killers. My doctor told me that if there is any pain Panadol works for this, but I haven’t taken it yet, cause I don’t know how it would react. I am taking two other pills right now to prevent nausea (for maybe two more days).

That's a terrible shame they didn't. To me this was a very painful surgery.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, Fatooma92 said:

My follow up isn’t until the 27th.

What I mean of the dent/hole is the cut where they took the stomach out.

They told me in the hospital that the reason for it is internal incisions. They said it would get better in a few days. It kind of has (the pain), however, standing and moving around hasn’t gotten any better since I left the hospital.

probably the internal stitches. I had a similar dent at first too. and it felt like a knot under the skin.

but I had no pain after about 2 days.