Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

adding in your "addiction foods"



Recommended Posts

My plan has me adding in complex carbs at 8 months out; I am 4.5 months out. However, because I am doing fairly intense exercise with a trainer, both my dietitian and the trainer have recommended I go from the 40g-ish of carbs I am eating now to 100g of carbs by adding in the complex carbs now.

I AM SO TERRIFIED. lol. I have kept this stuff out of my house for the last 5 months because I KNOW they are my vice. My trainer suggested I start with just 2 tablespoons of whole wheat Pasta a day. I am super scared that I don't have the self-control not to stop eating my high-protein stuff, which took me a long time to even get on board with, and replace it with ALLLL THE CARBBBSS. I honestly don't feel like I am quite mentally ready to go there yet. If I keep it out of my house and out of my mouth, I don't have the cravings and don't have the easy access to it. I am very nervous! My trainer explained the whole "carbs aren't the enemy, excess carbs are - you need carbs to fuel your body along with protein" speech, but I have this major psychological block about buying bread and pasta and sweet potatoes, etc. Out of sight, out of mind. Any advice to overcome this? I know myself and I know that, in the past anyways, I was easily led astray and I do not want that to happen again. Not after all the work I've put into this so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Focus more on Beans, legumes, sweet potatoes, etc. You are going to find that your pouch likely is not going to tolerate much bread or Pasta anyways as these items have a way of expanding after eating and can make you feel full very quickly for not a lot of nutrition.

I am fifteen months out and still steer clear of bread but on special occasions I have eaten fresh made pasta 😀.

I get over 50g carbs a day, has not slowed my loss too much considering how close to goal I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m with ya on this! It would scare the bejeezus out of me too. Carbs are (were?? Hopefully were) my vice as well. Cutting out bread, rice and Pasta has been the hardest part of this for me, by far. Maybe he doesn’t get that he’s offering heroin to an addict? At least that’s how I have think of it in MY addict brain. I do eat sweet potatoes and find they don’t increase my sugar cravings or craving more carbs but I know we’re all different.
What about quinoa, blueberries or bananas? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanaC84 said:

I’m with ya on this! It would scare the bejeezus out of me too. Carbs are (were?? Hopefully were) my vice as well. Cutting out bread, rice and Pasta has been the hardest part of this for me, by far. Maybe he doesn’t get that he’s offering heroin to an addict? At least that’s how I have think of it in MY addict brain. I do eat sweet potatoes and find they don’t increase my sugar cravings or craving more carbs but I know we’re all different.
What about quinoa, blueberries or bananas? 🤷🏻‍♀️

I added in a serving of fruit a day, but they are low carb ones (kiwi or strawberry). I think Beans would be my best bet. I definitely don't feel comfortable doing Pasta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All good choices!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh hell no, I won't be adding those back in at any point that I can foresee because I can't control myself around them and it's too important to me to stay on the right track. I'd be scared too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

My plan has me adding in complex carbs at 8 months out; I am 4.5 months out. However, because I am doing fairly intense exercise with a trainer, both my dietitian and the trainer have recommended I go from the 40g-ish of carbs I am eating now to 100g of carbs by adding in the complex carbs now.

I AM SO TERRIFIED. lol. I have kept this stuff out of my house for the last 5 months because I KNOW they are my vice. My trainer suggested I start with just 2 tablespoons of whole wheat Pasta a day. I am super scared that I don't have the self-control not to stop eating my high-protein stuff, which took me a long time to even get on board with, and replace it with ALLLL THE CARBBBSS. I honestly don't feel like I am quite mentally ready to go there yet. If I keep it out of my house and out of my mouth, I don't have the cravings and don't have the easy access to it. I am very nervous! My trainer explained the whole "carbs aren't the enemy, excess carbs are - you need carbs to fuel your body along with protein" speech, but I have this major psychological block about buying bread and Pasta and sweet potatoes, etc. Out of sight, out of mind. Any advice to overcome this? I know myself and I know that, in the past anyways, I was easily led astray and I do not want that to happen again. Not after all the work I've put into this so far.

How intense and the duration of exercise are you doing? All dieticians and trainers are different. Most contradict each other. When you add 100grams of complex carbs, keep an eye on the scale. You can always dial them back or change your diet if you gain. I hope their suggestions work for you.

I'm almost 5 years out. I run and weight lift. I do a small helping of low glycemic carbs post workout for recovery. My carb range is still low while in weight loss mode. I don’t increase my carbs (carb load) unless I am running over 10 miles to a full marathon. Carbs are my vice but a necessary evil to fuel my training. I still have to keep them in check or I gain weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are fortunate if you have a trainer that is familiar with bariatrics. (Most are not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have you tried the Pasta made from chick peas? There’s one by Barilla which has only chick peas as the ingredients. It’s a good source of Protein and carbs. I’m 7 months out and that’s the only pasta I eat, and I’ll have it with some other protein so I just have a small side of pasta (about 1/3 cup). I tried zero carb bread and that did not go well. Felt sick for hours! So no bread for me in the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if I wanted to, I literally cannot. Pasta hits my tiny tummy like a lead balloon....at the most I can eat 2 or 3 bites! I'm afraid of bread, although I did eat a half of a BLT on toast once. I don;t do cereals or potatoes really. I eat a basically keto diet and try to limit my carbs to 30 or fewer per day. The hardest carb for me to control is FRUIT!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 6:52 PM, Healthy_life2 said:

How intense and the duration of exercise are you doing? All dieticians and trainers are different. Most contradict each other. When you add 100grams of complex carbs, keep an eye on the scale. You can always dial them back or change your diet if you gain. I hope their suggestions work for you.

I'm almost 5 years out. I run and weight lift. I do a small helping of low glycemic carbs post workout for recovery. My carb range is still low while in weight loss mode. I don’t increase my carbs (carb load) unless I am running over 10 miles to a full marathon. Carbs are my vice but a necessary evil to fuel my training. I still have to keep them in check or I gain weight.

Twice a week I do an hour of weight lifting/resistance training followed by 25-45 minutes of cardio with the trainer, twice a week I do yoga, and I am getting ready to start weekly Les Mills BodyFlow. Honestly, I really do not feel comfortable adding in much more carbs. This week I've gotten to 50g and I think I am comfortable here. I've just added in an additional BariatricPal snack, so I get the extra Protein, too. Or I have some cauliflower tots or something relatively benign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I am up to 800-900 calories a day and about 60g of carbs and I am now starviiinnnggg alllll the tiiiimmmeee. ;(

I didn't add in Pasta - I have cauliflower tots some days, and some days I just have an extra snack.

Edited by mousecat88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • WeGettingThere

      Hey ya'll. SO. I got down to 199 for the weigh in but gained it all back right after. I have to do another month of weight management. They switched out the nutritionists at the last second and she said she doesn't pass anyone unless they have 5 veggies a week. I'm starting metformin and Farxiga today. Doc found a little bit of blood in my urine but wasn't too concerned. I'm trying not to freak myself out either. Depression is a little more intense than usual. I'm all over the damn place. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jen M

      3/19 - It wasn't a bad day I stayed up quite a bit much of the day. Have to focus on walking more before it gets too hot to walk outside at all.   Pain was less, but insomnia has kicked in the last two nights
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • JessLess

      I hit Onderland today! I feel great!
      · 3 replies
      1. GreenTealael

        💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

        💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

        🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

        💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

        💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

        👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜

        🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇

        💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

        🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

        🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

        🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

        💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

        ❤❤❤❤❤CONGRATULATIONS❤❤❤❤❤

        💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

        🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

        🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

        🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

        💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

        🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇

        👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜

        💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

        💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

        🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

        💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

        💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Congratulations! That's onederful!

      3. JessLess

        @Orchids&Dragons, thanks! 💚

    • GreenTealael

      Purim starts tonight!  
      · 3 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Happy Purim! Glad he saved yall! :)

      2. GreenTealael

        😍

      3. proudgrammy

        thanx for reminding me - will call DD tonight. Ethan (11) always loves the parade

    • GreenTealael  »  othella

      💜💜 Safe journey and congratulations 💜💜
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×