Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any regrets with RNY?

My surgery is on April 29th, and there are things that I've already cut out of my life, sweets, coke zero, coffee etc. One thing I promise myself is to never compare my goals and accomplishments to others. We have to be honest with ourselves and understand that weigh-loss surgery is a tool and not a miracle.

no regrets at all. I'd go back and have it done every year if I had to. Best decision ever!

On 3/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, AEdoesRnY said:

So, not to comment on my own vanity photos BUT I’ve been so mired in a monster plateau for like 3-4+ weeks and it’s been easy to stop realizing how much progress I’ve really made. So, I’m going to say wow, what a difference!!

I've been stuck at a plateau for the past 2.5 weeks too. It's frustrating as anything, but I look in the mirror some mornings and realise that I'm now pretty close to my goal and am actually down 70 lbs. Like you I started at a size 24 and am now in a 14/16 depending on where I get my clothes.

After 6 months and 2 days I can still say no regrets at all. The reason I chose the bypass rather than sleeve is that my surgeon explained that the bypass is reversible if needed where the sleeve is not. With bypass they don't actually remove anything but sleeve cuts off part of your stomach and throws it away. Not that I plan to ever have a reversal, but the option is there if I do change my mind years from now.

I got the gastric bypass about 3 weeks ago. I regret everything!! I wish I never did it. My body has changed to the worse. I haven’t lost weight but I’m constantly in pain. I have to go to the doctor every six month for the rest of my life because my body doesn’t reproduce the nutrition it needs anymore. I’m worried for my life once I get older. When I won’t be able to keep up with the Vitamins. It’s a lot to think about. I wish I had someone talking some good sense in me.

On 03/28/2019 at 06:42, bOrii305 said:

I got the gastric bypass about 3 weeks ago. I regret everything!! I wish I never did it. My body has changed to the worse. I haven’t lost weight but I’m constantly in pain. I have to go to the doctor every six month for the rest of my life because my body doesn’t reproduce the nutrition it needs anymore. I’m worried for my life once I get older. When I won’t be able to keep up with the Vitamins. It’s a lot to think about. I wish I had someone talking some good sense in me.
I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way right now. The first few weeks after surgery are really hard - I found it to be a super emotional time during which I couldn’t even rely on my old friend food to help me cope.

For me, and for many others, the first few weeks were the hardest but once over the hump my emotions evened out and my body had healed more from surgery and was able to start losing. I hope you experience a similar upswing and that you keep your mind open to it being possible.

Best of luck and we’re here for you if you need support during the challenging first few weeks post surgery! 💖💖💖

On 03/28/2019 at 06:42, bOrii305 said:

I felt the same way after surgery and from my research it is a very common feeling post op. Kind of the “can’t turn back its for life and trying to reverse a life time of eating habits” emotion is a very common post here. I can tell you that for the VAST majority things work fine and in a couple short months you will feel totally different about the surgery. I was totally worried about the getting older thing as well and not sure how old you are, but IMO there are 20+ years of older people who will get there before me and figure it out.

@AnnieD78 how are you doing? I’m curious what your thoughts are sleeve vs bypass and whether additional questions/concerns/anxieties have come up. I know the waiting period before surgery was FILLED with millions of questions and worries every day, so I wanted to see how you are doing and if we could help support you as you’re in the waiting game!

@AEdoesRnY I’m doing okay. I just had my psych evaluation today and it was fine. I have a few more appointments left before they can submit to insurance. I need to get moving on weight loss though. This week has been a bit of a disaster. My mom passed away quite suddenly on Sunday night, after a 7 year battle with Alzheimer’s disease. I’ve pretty much thrown in the towel on trying to stay on the diet plan, which I know is NOT the right thing to do.

I regretted my sleeve for probably the first month. I’m getting bypass Thursday and it scares me but the longitudinal studies show good results. I’m getting it for severe GERD. I just worry my issues swallowing could get worse. We’ll see!

On 03/29/2019 at 13:14, AnnieD78 said:

@AEdoesRnY I’m doing okay. I just had my psych evaluation today and it was fine. I have a few more appointments left before they can submit to insurance. I need to get moving on weight loss though. This week has been a bit of a disaster. My mom passed away quite suddenly on Sunday night, after a 7 year battle with Alzheimer’s disease. I’ve pretty much thrown in the towel on trying to stay on the diet plan, which I know is NOT the right thing to do.
I’m so sorry for your loss, what a challenging thing to deal with - I hope you are holding up okay and giving yourself some care and love right now. I completely understand why you turned to food, and I applaud your decision to try to take a different route. I’m going through a divorce right now and I definitely turned to food more than I should have lately, but have been turning in around the last few weeks. I just started intermittent fasting which I’ve been loving, but I think it would be really hard presurgery...do you have an amount you have to lose to qualify for surgery?

Do you like the person who did your evaluation? I ended up continuing to see the person who did mine for the last year and it’s been a wonderful support/growth/reflection tool!

Sending you thoughts and hugs!

And I'm sending love and prayers to you also! My RnY journey has been anything but picture- perfect, have frequent choruses of "Is that all there is?" but hoping my doctors are not lying to me, that there is a final victory ahead. And you have had so much in a short time it is a Wonder you are not standing out in the middle of the road going Whaaat? but hope life finally levels off and you can find some joy in all that has happened. Remember we are here, we do understand, if we can give you strength, we will!! You are strong, although you probably find that hard to believe now. 😜❤❤😜

Hi Annie! I am 3 and a half years post RNY. When I first went to my surgeon, I was SURE that I wanted to get the sleeve over bypass, but he convinced me to do the RNY. Fortunately for me, almost as soon as my insurance approved me for surgery, my surgeon had a cancellation and there was less than 30 days between that first appointment and my surgery so I had little time to be anxious. This far out, I've maintained my weight loss (over 140 pounds) and feel fantastic! My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner! It was not easy...neither surgery is, but I trusted my surgeon and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m preparing for a sleeve to bypass revision due to GERD next Thursday. That aside, I believe stats show that bypass and sleeve patients lose the same average % of excess weight but bypass patients lose it faster. I liked sleeve because it was less intrusive but it clearly didn’t work for me.
I would like to know how you do.
I am only 4.5 months out from my sleeve but I have been dealing with gerdzilla. Not fun. I thought I would be ok because I never had issues with reflux at all before surgery. I had never even had heartburn [emoji20] now I get it almost daily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app