Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any regrets with RNY?

03/09/2019 06:21 PM, AnnieD78 said:

That is so nice, thank you very much. Half of this is not having anyone to talk through it with. My family isn’t exactly supportive.... they’re not NOT supportive, though. If that makes sense.

I didn’t tell my mom until a month or two before surgery because there’s SO much baggage between us when it comes to weight. After surgery I set some specific rules for my family and what kinds of things they could say/mention re: surgery, and that’s helped me a lot. It’s hard because none of them struggle with weight beyond like wanting to lose 10-15 lbs so they didn’t and couldn’t and can’t understand the decision or the process.

I find the journaling to be a helpful way to have a dialogue with myself when I don’t have someone else to talk it through with! I also find it helpful to just let my mind vomit out all the things I am terrified about so then I can take a step back and weed through what is rational and worth considering versus what is just my anxiety brain doing its thing, you know?

4 minutes ago, AnnieD78 said:

That is so nice, thank you very much. Half of this is not having anyone to talk through it with. My family isn’t exactly supportive.... they’re not NOT supportive, though. If that makes sense.

My family doesn’t know. My mom knows I went on a liquid diet per my dr recommendation (which was the truth). Two girls I work with know, my fiancé (but my stepson), and two friends. I don’t want to deal with people being unsupportive, so I only told people that I knew would be supportive. The reality is some people won’t be supportive and that’s ok, but they don’t need to be a part of your journey. Feel free to reach out if you need someone! You’re going to do Great!

Just to play devils advocate. My Dr wanted me to do the duodenal switch, but I was adamant I wanted the sleeve. If down the road I decide I'm gaining weight and want to I can do a revision to RNY. I like the fact there is no dumping and no malabsorption.

I don't know the statistics on weight gain, but I worked with a girl who had the Rny and she previously weighed 600 lbs, I saw pictures. When I started working with her she weighed 220. By the end of one 1 year she had gained back to 400 lbs. Not sure how this is even possible?

So I'm not sure if you can gain with either one?

Personally, I don't ever want to he super thin. So, it might be something to think about. If you want to be thin, I think rny offers a better, longer weight loss future.

Best wishes. You will do great!

Edited by gabybab

I had the bypass 7 months ago. I have lost 110lbs so far. No regrets. I am still baffled about how/why people think the sleeve is the “easier” surgery. Nothing easy about either surgery

I chose the sleeve over bypass 4 years ago. I cannot say that is was wrong choice at that time in my life. I know WLS saved my life. Now, I am getting revised for múltiple reason including never getting to a healthy weight, GERD and a hernia plus my sleeve was never a sleeve.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 3/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, AnnieD78 said:

Just looking for some reassurance. I went in thinking I wanted a gastric sleeve, and my surgeon basically told me I wouldn’t lose the weight and I would gain it back. His recommendation is gastric bypass. I am petrified of the surgery, and long term implications or problems I could have as a result. I should be excited about the opportunity to change my life, but instead I am scared I won’t like what my life turns into. Would love to hear some long term success stories. Thanks in advance.

LAP BAND SUCCESS RATE
47%
GASTRIC SLEEVE SUCCESS RATE
80%
GASTRIC BYPASS SUCCESS RATE
85%
DUODENAL SWITCH SUCCESS RATE
95%

Data Sources: PubMed: Quick fix or long-term cure? Pros and cons of bariatric surgery and International Journal of Surgery: Long term predictors of success after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy

The line graphs above show patients who have lost more than 50% of their excess weight and managed to keep it off for more than 5 years. The popularity of the Lap Band has dropped significantly due to the long-term complication rate and low success rate.

Bypass vs Sleeve
https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

On 3/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, NYJenn said:

I had the bypass 7 months ago. I have lost 110lbs so far. No regrets. I am still baffled about how/why people think the sleeve is the “easier” surgery. Nothing easy about either surgery

Nothing easy about any type of bariatric porcedure. They all take work.

I had the sleeve in 2014 - I got to goal in six months which is not the norm according to the statistics.

I do wish I had asked more specifically why gastric bypass. I am wondering if it has to do with my lifelong yo-yo dieting and hypothyroidism. It has gotten harder and harder to even lose weight on diets, even the really extreme ones.

I'm 125 days post-op today and hit 60 pounds lost since surgery, 70 since I started. When I was researching, I noticed a trend of quite a few people regretting either surgery the first 1-2 months and I went through he same thing. I think it is a combination of hormone imbalance from losing the weight and the totality of surgery finally sinking in.

I went with the bypass because that is the only surgery my insurance would cover. Some days I start to feel a little regret and miss some of my past life, but I just keep reminding myself of the feelings and emotions I had to start this journey and move on. Think of surgery as a reset on life and your health. You will re-learn how and what to eat and pay for it if you make a mistake - this negative reinforcement can be a strong motivator!

My neighbor had gastric bypass 8-9 years ago and went from 340 to 160 and he is now 60 years old, Saturday night went out with some friends and ate more food in one meal then I currently eat in 5 days, so it's not like life is changed forever, just the immediate short term. With either surgery it IS very possible to eat your way back out of it, but why would you want to go through all this and not be successful? If so, then there are other issues at hand.

I chose the sleeve over bypass 4 years ago. I cannot say that is was wrong choice at that time in my life. I know WLS saved my life. Now, I am getting revised for múltiple reason including never getting to a healthy weight, GERD and a hernia plus my sleeve was never a sleeve.
Sent from my SM-J727T1 using BariatricPal mobile app
Same issue, surgery tomorrow. Mind all over the place

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

I work with someone who had the sleeve, they are gaining their weigh back after a year and a half. I am 6 months out and have absolutely no regrets with my RNY. To have long tern success you have to follow the rules. Also from my own research the RNY has much better long term results.

How could she regain? Only thing that comes to mind, Constant grazing with higher calorie foods, because as a 7 monther, almost, there just Isn't That much room in a Pouch that is the size of an egg, and we don't mean a "Turkey" One, Precious Pouch only accepts 2 oz, I have not made it past 4oz without catastrophic conclusions, and I sure don't enjoy upchucking, not that I ever truly did! 😖

I’m preparing for a sleeve to bypass revision due to GERD next Thursday. That aside, I believe stats show that bypass and sleeve patients lose the same average % of excess weight but bypass patients lose it faster. I liked sleeve because it was less intrusive but it clearly didn’t work for me.

3 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

How could she regain? Only thing that comes to mind, Constant grazing with higher calorie foods, because as a 7 monther, almost, there just Isn't That much room in a Pouch that is the size of an egg, and we don't mean a "Turkey" One, Precious Pouch only accepts 2 oz, I have not made it past 4oz without catastrophic conclusions, and I sure don't enjoy upchucking, not that I ever truly did! 😖

They didn't stay away from Soda. Once they healed they were right back to it. I have eyes they are definitely gaining it back. Maybe they stretched their pouch.

i know i literally just posted a "yup. i regret this." thread about 3 weeks ago - but it was more out of frustration over the complications i had. i am anxious to lose another 60lbs. i hope i get there. i could be the most impatient person in this entire forum, lol. now that things seem to be normalizing as far as not having stupid issues, i don't feel so bad about it. i am glad i've lost what i have so far. i didn't have any support either. and when i was going through the complications, my mother was like "i told you so". i picked gastric bypass because i wanted the absorption and dumping; i wanted the negative reinforcements to eat correctly. and also i had acid reflux and sleeve makes that worse, usually.

i know several people who had the surgery who regained the weight because they could somehow eat whatever they wanted without consequence. fortunately that doesn't happen to me (yet). if you don't ever put that food in your mouth after surgery, you'll never know if it will make you sick or not, so it's best not to even try. my boss has regained 40lbs and eats mounds of mac n cheese and pizza and donuts, etc. he had surgery 6 years ago. my coworker's daughter-in-law can eat whatever she wants and regained her entire weight lost (100lbs). it's just a tool, not a cure. but i firmly believe if you don't test your limits, you won't have an issue. why risk it.