Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yup. I regret this.

I have gone back and forth the last 4 months whether or not I felt the complications were worth the results, and today, after blacking out in Walmart and having to sit on the floor to regroup numerous times throughout the day so I could do simple tasks like pick something up off the floor, I have officially decided I made a terrible decision. I am happy for those of you who have seen benefits of this surgery, but I am just... existing... day by day. I have lost no weight in 2 months (stalling at the same weight I did on Atkins, but with a crapload more complications). I feel awful. I could deal with an ulcer and the gallbladder and the hernia, but this low blood pressure is actually ruining my life - not to be dramatic. I have gotten lightheaded and confused at work during important meetings, I can hardly exercise without having to sit or lay down and I already paid for a trainer... I can't even lift a basket of laundry without falling on my butt. I sent a desperate email to my surgeon to try a prescription to raise my BP. I'm ending up on far more pills than I ever was pre-op. Losing 60 stupid pounds is not worth this. And I have no one I can vent to because my mother "told me" I always have problems with surgery and I'd regret this and I do. So I feel very alone. Someone please tell me this gets better....

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

It will absolutely get better. I had a good 2 months where I was throwing up almost every time I ate. Then I had a virus and stalled
For a month. These things happen, it’s part of the process. You have to advocate for yourself, I sat my butt in the surgeons office and wouldn’t leave without and answer.

We had surgery around the same time (edited to clarify - I had the sleeve) and I've been feeling the same way. I'm sorry for all you're going through. I am getting more reflux and more nauseated by the day. I could deal with the reflux, but I HATE being nauseous. And I feel like I spend all of my energy trying not to throw up. I am nauseated about 90% of my day every day. I feel SO much worse than I did before. I cry every day. I can eat less today than I could when I started solids 3 months ago. I can hardly drink because I'm so nauseous, and I can't drink within 1.5-2 hours of eating because I hurt so much. The couple times I've talked to my nurse (mostly crying), she's told me that I need to remember that "this is not my life." They said they'll work on figuring all out. That said, I'm not in a position where I feel like I believe her. I regret this mightily. I've even lost a significant amount of weight, and it is still not worth it. I broke down crying at my therapy group this weekend. So, not much help - but just know that you're not alone. I'm trying to look through the fog to see that maybe I'll feel better one day. Because that's what I have to try to believe since this isn't reversible.

Their current proposal is to convert to bypass, even though they're not sure what's wrong other than a hernia. Um, no thanks - you have no idea why I'm nauseated. And they are concerned enough about malnutrition and dehydration to be monitoring me closely to see if I need a PICC line. So, if they don't know what is causing the nausea, and the bypass doesn't fix it and I continue to be nauseous, then I really will be malnourished between the inability to eat and the malabsorption caused by the bypass. Nope. No thank you, ma'am.

Edited by notmyname

Bypass is reversible and I am deeply considering discussing this option at my 6 month. I don't care if I regain the weight. I haven't even lost that much and still have all my clothes so whatever. I just want to be able to function again and not feel this way. I've been so proud that I've championed this new diet and have been rocking exercise and just hired a trainer, and yet have not lost anything in 2 months. And have just had more and more complications. As soon as one resolves, another appears. I am beat down.

It will absolutely get better. I had a good 2 months where I was throwing up almost every time I ate. Then I had a virus and stalled
For a month. These things happen, it’s part of the process. You have to advocate for yourself, I sat my butt in the surgeons office and wouldn’t leave without and answer.
I am just so sad. I have done everything to the letter. My Protein is great, my hydration is great, my food choices are great. I do yoga 3 times a week now. I start my trainer tomorrow. I walk a mile a day, minimum. And nothing. Nothing for 8 weeks. And now this BP issue. My resolve is seriously disappearing.

Do you think maybe it's worth visiting your GP and talking to them about your low blood pressure and maybe talk to them about how you are feeling?

Have you had your potassium levels checked? Low potassium can cause low BP and make you passout, I know as it happened to me after my band.

On 03/03/2019 at 21:12, froufrou said:

Do you think maybe it's worth visiting your GP and talking to them about your low blood pressure and maybe talk to them about how you are feeling?

And I’m sad for you! I wish there was more I could say or do to make things better. But I agree with @froufrou , be your own advocate. If I wasn’t having faith in my surgeons office I’d definitely talk to my GP.

Yes advocate for yourself. It's hard when your in pain to keep on top. But you have too.
I agree to see you family doctor also. Keep family doctor informed. For me personally I thought my surgeon knew everything. And that wasn't the case. My family doctor was helpful.
Also is your Iron low? Anemic? Ask to see hematologist.
The 1st yr is tough , tougher for some people then others. I do hope you get better. Hang in there. You are strong

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so sorry that you feel things didn't work out for you. I've been really lightheaded, nearly fainting recently and hadn't put two and two together about it being related to my surgery/weight loss/blood pressure.

After my surgery I was feeling dizzy and light headed to the point I thought I was going to pass out. I conferred with my surgeons office and I didn't get much info. I made an appointment with my GP and he said that I was still taking the same level of BP meds that I took before my surgery. He took me off the meds and that did the trick.

In a group session someone brought this same topic up and it turned out that she was suffering from a Vitamin deficiency. It wasn't her surgeons office that helped her it was her nutritionist. Try going to different health care providers besides your surgeon. I'm sure there is someone who can pin point your problem and help you to resolve it. Sometimes the bariatric surgeon just doesn't cut it when we have problems after surgery.

I'm sorry things are so rough. I don't blame you for feeling discouraged!!

Low blood pressure is something I've struggled to manage since my bypass surgery 18 months ago. I needed to drink more Water and also not shy away from salt. But one of the docs explained to me that it takes awhile for even your vascular system to reset after surgery and weight loss, and I've noticed it's getting better.

I hope you find some light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Yep yep yep. What everyone said! Mostly you need to know your numbers--what are your present electrolyte numbers and chemistries along with vitamin/mineral numbers--including your Iron status.

Then talk with PCP about a plan to naturally up your fluids and your minerals if needed (i.e. sodium/trace minerals/and if indicated--potassium). This isn't something you monkey around with. But by upping the minerals it should help get rid of the dizziness.

I had that when weaning off my bp meds and had low potassium. Now my bp is fine. I added back Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and every now and then if I feel week or crampy, I will also take a Magnesium Citrate and a pinch of NoSalt for the potassium. But I do it cuz I know my numbers!

My surgeon's office doesn't require blood work until I'm 6 months out. I have a different plan of attack with my PCP. I did blood work a couple weeks ago and go in Wednesday to go over the results with him. I know through my extensive research that an improper balance of Vitamins and minerals can cause a lot of problems so I'm staying on top of it. My surgeon's office is directly tied to my insurance and the cost plays a huge role in their post-op plan for me. My personal doctor is concerned with my overall health so he has no problem ordering labs outside of the agenda set forth by my surgeon's office/Kaiser. He was quick to pull me off of my BP meds when the blood pressure came down and I was getting dizzy when standing up.

I know it's not the case in every situation but most of the WLS clinics are in it for the money. Service after the sale is not real high on their priority list. That's why I agree with the other posts that say "be your own advocate". In addition to that, find a good personal doctor that can do what it takes to get to the bottom of your problems by doing labs and getting you on a supplementation regimen that is unique to your situation. The cookie cutter approach that most nutritionists use doesn't work for everyone. They can give you generic guidelines like how much Protein and Water to consume but when it comes to supplements, the proof will be in the blood test results. I think once you get your levels under control, your body will normalize and start focusing on weight loss again.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Keep us updated. We're all in this together.

16 hours ago, elcee said:

Have you had your potassium levels checked? Low potassium can cause low BP and make you passout, I know as it happened to me after my band.

Yes, they were just checked last month and this past Friday. All my electrolytes/vitamins are normal. It's just my BP that is plummeting.