Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm also on 3/11 but I'm going with gastric bypass. I've just dropped another 5 lbs! I got my pre-op diet today (last visit before surgery). Here is the sum up:
2-3 Protein Shakes per day, making sure you get 60 grams of liquid Protein per day.
Can also have baked or grilled chicken, turkey, lean meat or fish as well as steamed or fresh vegetables and fresh fruit.
Avoid all dairy except what is in your Protein shakes.
No eggs
Season with herbs & spices, lemon juice or vinegar but avoid Condiments, dressings, fats and oils.
2 full days prior to surgery,
stop all meat, change over to broth Soups
continue shakes
continue veggies and fruits.
Now, prior to this I was pretty much eating like this (not the shakes) for the last month and I lost 20 lbs. I was eating about 75 grams of protein, 100 grams of carb and 30 grams of fat for 1000 calories per day.
Since the pre-op diet didn't specify quantities on the meat, veggies and fruit, I figure as long as I stay within the last month diet limits I'll be ok. I started a month ago at 277, 5'4" with a BMI of 47.5.
Thank you so much!! This totally helps!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, angie_is_losing_it said:

Thank you so much!! This totally helps!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are welcome! Good luck!

I'm on day two of 14 day preop liquid diet to shrink my liver. The Meal Replacements I take are from my doctor's office (New Direction brand from Robard) and have 27g Protein and 200 cals each. I have 4 each day for 800 calories. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, so far. On Friday my BMI was 43.x and he thought I could get my BMI to around 40 before surgery on the 12th.

It's interesting how all preop plans seem so different. I suppose each doctor has reasons for each patient as to what the protocol will be.

Good luck!

On 2/24/2019 at 5:08 AM, Girly51 said:

I’m into my pre op diet, good thing I started on Friday. Today, I’m tired and have been resting. They said it should only last a few days. Can someone tell me their experience with pre op diet. Strangely enough, I have not been hungry. Drinking Premier Protein 3X’s a day, Water, and broth.

Most people I know in Australia go on a pre-op diet of 2-4 weeks just Liquid Protein using VLCD Optifast shakes that's it..

3 hours ago, TeeBeau said:

I'm on day two of 14 day preop liquid diet to shrink my liver. The Meal Replacements I take are from my doctor's office (New Direction brand from Robard) and have 27g Protein and 200 cals each. I have 4 each day for 800 calories. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, so far. On Friday my BMI was 43.x and he thought I could get my BMI to around 40 before surgery on the 12th.

It's interesting how all preop plans seem so different. I suppose each doctor has reasons for each patient as to what the protocol will be.

Good luck!

I'm also on day 2 of Robard with New Directions and aside from the bar I haven't liked anything. I'm not getting in all of my Protein by far as I can't finish most of the shakes/soups. Thank goodness I can have sugar free jello... its been my saving grace. I get 2 shakes, 1 Soup and a bar a day (760 calories)

Edited by DelawareWoman

17 hours ago, DelawareWoman said:

I'm also on day 2 of Robard with New Directions and aside from the bar I haven't liked anything. I'm not getting in all of my Protein by far as I can't finish most of the shakes/soups. Thank goodness I can have sugar free jello... its been my saving grace. I get 2 shakes, 1 Soup and a bar a day (760 calories)

Oh you do get more variety than I do. I can't have any bars or other foods, just the shakes/soups. I was on a modified version of New Direction diet (1 or 2 meal replacements per day plus 1 or 2 grocery meals) for my six month doctor supervised diet leading up to this point. That gave me the option to try many different things and figure out what I like. I don't like most of the puddings unless I mix with twice as much Water for more of a shake consistency. I like the chocolate with Fiber, the mixed berry, the pineapple apricot, and tortilla Soup the best. I do mix all the drinks with more water than the directions call for--it cuts the sweetness for me. I also mix the soup with less water as I prefer the consistency better.

I keep telling myself It's not forever. It's temporary. I can drink these temporarily and eventually I'll be able to eat healthy food (in small portions) again.

Hang in there. I hope you find a flavor that's tolerable for you.

1 hour ago, TeeBeau said:

Oh you do get more variety than I do. I can't have any bars or other foods, just the shakes/soups. I was on a modified version of New Direction diet (1 or 2 Meal Replacements per day plus 1 or 2 grocery meals) for my six month doctor supervised diet leading up to this point. That gave me the option to try many different things and figure out what I like. I don't like most of the puddings unless I mix with twice as much Water for more of a shake consistency. I like the chocolate with Fiber, the mixed berry, the pineapple apricot, and tortilla Soup the best. I do mix all the drinks with more Water than the directions call for--it cuts the sweetness for me. I also mix the Soup with less water as I prefer the consistency better.

I keep telling myself It's not forever. It's temporary. I can drink these temporarily and eventually I'll be able to eat healthy food (in small portions) again.

Hang in there. I hope you find a flavor that's tolerable for you.

I only get meal replacements or broth or Jello. The only Soups are cream of chicken, cheesy broccoli or Tomato. I have 4 or 5 flavors of shakes/puddings and 3-4 types of bars. I had the mixed berry this morning. I drank half then started to gag. I'm half tempted to have Premier Protein or fair life instead. 12 more days of these and I might not need surgery. LOL I'm down 6 pounds this week. I just started this diet. I don't have pineapple apricot. I have chocolate, chocolate mint(pudding/shake), mixed berry, hot cocoa and strawberry. For bars I have Fudge Graham, cinnamon, caramel cocoa, smores, double berry and vanilla caramel. The foaming really gets to me in the shakes/puddings.

My friend did Optifast and her surgery was 2/13. She's just starting purees today. She has ricotta bake and pureed meatballs. I'm so jealous.

I’m getting hungry reading this thread! Ha! I’m on a clear liquid only pre-op diet so no shakes even! 😳 Basically sugar free jello/popsicles, broth, diluted 100%fruit juices, and Protein Water. I add unflavored Protein Powder to the broth to get enough in. I simmer the broth with onions, pepper and a tad of cumin and strain the onions out. Not bad! But BOY do I want a shake. Haha

On 02/28/2019 at 13:37, Neely said:

I’m getting hungry reading this thread! Ha! I’m on a clear liquid only pre-op diet so no shakes even! 😳 Basically sugar free jello/popsicles, broth, diluted 100%fruit juices, and Protein Water. I add unflavored Protein Powder to the broth to get enough in. I simmer the broth with onions, pepper and a tad of cumin and strain the onions out. Not bad! But BOY do I want a shake. Haha
This is almost identical to what mine was. I never knew there was a difference between clear liquid diet and full liquid diet which I had to do for my first week post op.
Yea, I got to where I’d only watch things I had DVR’d because of all the darn food commercials! You got this though! It’ll be here before you know it

Hi ladies, I had my sleeve surgery 2 days ago, and have been extremely nauseous. The thought of another Protein Shake makes me want to throw up. However, the thought of sugar free popsicles sounds amazing. I did have 3 sugar free popsicles, but read I should only have shakes for a week. Has anyone else does this? Of course I'm scared now. I feel fine though

2 minutes ago, Ks1983 said:

Hi ladies, I had my sleeve surgery 2 days ago, and have been extremely nauseous. The thought of another Protein Shake makes me want to throw up. However, the thought of sugar free popsicles sounds amazing. I did have 3 sugar free popsicles, but read I should only have shakes for a week. Has anyone else does this? Of course I'm scared now. I feel fine though

I had my surgery on Monday and my surgeon has me on Clear Liquids for 7 days, then on to shakes, and Protein Soups etc. I don't think I'm ready for anything thicker. I just want to give my stomach time to heal. Best wishes on your recovery.

On 02/28/2019 at 14:46, Ks1983 said:

Have you tried Protein Water? They were a life saver that week (as well as the SF popsicles!!). They did become way too sweet for me by the end of that week though.