Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very upset after nutritionist appointment

She said i'll have to eat 100 grams of Protein after surgery and this sounds like A LOT! No way i'll be able to do this! I feel like she has a problem with the fact that i'm a vegetarian.

How do you guys eat after surgery? I hate this protein, protein, protein mentality.

Protein is really important. I am sure that as a vegetarian it is still possible to get that much protein.

I’m still on the purée stage, but I consider it a victory if I can get in 45-60 grams a day.
And most days I fall short because I can’t yet get in more than 300-400 calories per day

I am also a vegetarian, and even though I'm at the stage where I can eat most regular foods, I am lucky to get 30 or 40 grams of Protein per day because I can eat so very little despite the fact that many foods I can eat have plenty of protein. Most foods that I eat have anywhere from 7 to 24 grams of protein per 100g of food. Even so, I am struggling greatly to get what I need. My protein goal is supposed to be 90 grams of protein per day. I have a nutritionist appointment coming up in the middle of March, and I plan to speak to her about that because I don't know what to do.

Sent from my SM-J330F using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Simples said:

She said i'll have to eat 100 grams of Protein after surgery and this sounds like A LOT! No way i'll be able to do this! I feel like she has a problem with the fact that i'm a vegetarian.

How do you guys eat after surgery? I hate this Protein, protein, protein mentality.

I'm vegetarian too. The number I was told was at least 65g of protein - which still seems like a lot. This last week I have been able to get over 100g consistently by pumping up my morning shake (I continue to do a Protein Shake for Breakfast because I am not a breakfast person, and have been doing this for years). I use Fairlife milk which has more protein instead of regular skim, a scoop of my Protein Powder, and add a scoop of GENEPRO flavourless powder as well. That shake is really filling, and has a tonne of protein. It sets me up for the rest of the day. Anything I can, I add the Genepro to - Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, my bariatricpal chili and curry. The scoops are very small and it dissovles easily if you stir slowly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6OSDYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

My nutritionist also said that it gets easier the further out you get and you don't need these massive amounts of protein forever. You will be able to tweak your macros as you get to maintenance to what works for you.

91m96z+r8hL._SX522_.jpg

812GNbaYl9L._SX522_.jpg

So bottom line, it's our responsibility to our future health to take in the Protein that is going to repair our bodies and build new cells and maintain life. Those Proteins need to be easily digestible and bioavailable. They need to be complete. So whatever sources they're from: plant of animal, that's the bottom line. If you don't like it--then I highly encourage you to NOT have the surgery. Cuz it's a lifelong commitment that you make to get your daily protein in!!!!

This isn't a position of "those damn meat eaters" all they talk about is protein! It's not a political conspiracy to keep the man down. It's your nutritionists opinion that you need 100g of protein/day. So you follow it, or don't. They will be running tests on you and those tests are gonna tell the truth of your status.

Albumin and pre-albumin test for how much protein you are getting and have available. The lower the number the greater the association with death from all causes. Critically ill and malnourished people will have low values on these tests. And once you deplete your protein, it's very difficult to replace it--cuz it's much easier to replace it with fat. So you break down protein, you slow your metabolism, and once you DO start eating more calories (and you will--just wait and see), then you will be back crying cuz you've gained your weight back and you "just don't understand why"!?!

So if you want all to be well with your life, I'd recommend you meet your protein goals. Most of us have a goal of 60-80g of protein per day, cuz we're just average peeps of average musculature. I try to get at least 60g/day.

Edited by FluffyChix

10 hours ago, Simples said:

How do you guys eat after surgery? I hate this Protein, protein, protein mentality.

Me, too. As if there wasn't any other nutrient out there...

If you can get a different nutritionist that caters to your needs and wishes. It's important to feel comfortable with the diet you're eating and that means more than "losing and maintaining this weight on the diet".

There are several veg-threads on this board. You might want to check them out as well.

I was ready to hear that i had to have around 60gr and that was fine with me, it's just that 100gr seems impossible fod me as a vegetarian, really. It's not that i'm not commited. It's that it doesn't sound realistic at all. Most vegetarians i know eat around 30 or 40, even the ones who've undergone the surgery.

Edited by Simples

2 hours ago, summerset said:

100 g sounds a bit much anyway if you're getting VSG or RNY/MGB. What WLS procedure are you going to get?

My surgeon's said that i qualify for both procedures and i can choose the one i preffer. I'm leaning towards the VSG and i've shared this information with my nutritionist. She said there's not much diference when it comes to absorbing nutrients between the two kinds of procedures. This sounded strange to me....

Edited by Simples

According to my nutritionist the calculation is around .8grams of Protein per 1kg of weight. As you lose weight your protein requirements will be less. This is why initially most people have to use Protein Shakes but as they lose weight they are no longer required .

When I last saw my nutritionist I weighed around 60kg and she calculated I was getting around 60g of protein per day so I no longer needed shakes.

Not getting enough protein is very risky. Your body will try to get it where it can. You don’t want your body to start breaking down all it’s muscles , particularly the heart

11 hours ago, elcee said:

According to my nutritionist the calculation is around .8grams of Protein per 1kg of weight.

Usually the normal body weight is used for that calculation. However, there are very different opinions on how much Protein is needed.

16 hours ago, elcee said:

According to my nutritionist the calculation is around .8grams of Protein per 1kg of weight. As you lose weight your Protein requirements will be less. This is why initially most people have to use Protein Shakes but as they lose weight they are no longer required .

When I last saw my nutritionist I weighed around 60kg and she calculated I was getting around 60g of protein per day so I no longer needed shakes.

Not getting enough protein is very risky. Your body will try to get it where it can. You don’t want your body to start breaking down all it’s muscles , particularly the heart

By that calculation i should be getting 48 grama when i reach my target weight. That is very doable.

4 hours ago, summerset said:

Usually the normal body weight is used for that calculation. However, there are very different opinions on how much Protein is needed.

My normal body weight ia around 60 kilos so 48 grama of Protein, which seems ok.