Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The mental struggle is real

Those who've watched enough My 600lb Life will recognise that there can often be a lot of denial associated with the reality of obesegenic living.

Whether it's mistakenly thinking surgery will make weightloss "easy" or just magically happen effortlessly, or denial about what quality and quantity of calories a person consumes (pre-op and post-op), the mental side of struggling with obesity is probably the most important part.

food for many of us who need WLS, is a drug of addiction. And it whispers into to your ear to justify all the behaviours that make you addicted to it.

All I can say is, if you don't tackle the mind-games of obesity, surgery will not help you!

(putting this here so I'm not shaming any one person in particular, and the advice is to myself as much as to anyone else).

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

So very true and a timely post. Unless we deal with the issues/challenges and/or habits that caused us to emotionally eat or overeat, any bariatric procedure will only be a temporary salve. The brain is a powerful thing and lately mine has been at me for the old things that I used to deal with stress and cravings. I have to constantly push myself not to fall into old habits and make sure new ones stick, can't say I am 100% successful.

Edited by 2shea

Very timely and well-thought post! Thanks for sharing this with us. It's 100% true!

I saw this yesterday and it kinda addresses a little of what you're talking about: How to Develop Healthy Habits for Life

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/8-ways-make-healthy-habit-stick/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MFP_Extra_HealthyHabitsforLife_20190222&os_ehash=55@sfmc:181675394

My loss slowed way down as I approached the 6 month mark and dealt with some life stress. In an attempt to get things going again I subscribed to a service called Noom which I am really liking. In addition to tracking food and steps etc, every day it gives you a series of cute little lessons on how to control your thinking around food, all based on psychology research. It’s built my motivation and is helping me dismantle my “fat brain”. Plus you get an occasional high five or message from an online coach. I’ve got the scale moving again these last 2 weeks (Phew!)
They have a two week free trial then a monthly fee. ~$30/month depending on how many months you buy. If you use this link, you can get a 20% discount if you subscribe. Full disclosure: I would get a discount too. https://friends.noom.com/YVlFVkE4TllUOmNm

I’ve been in a funk for a day in a half for a host of reasons but normally I can snap myself out of it fairly quickly. I had an “aha” moment last night. Normally when I’m like this my go to fix was a bag of m&ms and I don’t mean the snack size. It was empowering to realize I’m not letting past coping slip in.

So I am 6 months almost to the day. I went through a really bad depression episode. Mind you I have a truama therapist. A psychiatrist a super supportive family and a host of friends. The day of my suicide attempt I had a therapy appointment in the morning. Yet none of that was enough. I will say to anyone persuing this journey get your mental health in order. I had at the time 2.3 years of sobriety and a social worker.

Sent from my moto e5 play using BariatricPal mobile app

Among other things I live with are Major Depression, PTSD, etc. I completely sabotaged my diet from soon after 3rd month post-op. In hindsight, I was not at all psychologically ready for life with an RNY. I should have been denied. We didn't delve deep enough, and I regret things weren't addressed. Please be more aware and more aware from that, for others, before you get GBS. Slippery slope!

02/25/2019 03:06 PM, newmebithebypass said:

So I am 6 months almost to the day. I went through a really bad depression episode. Mind you I have a truama therapist. A psychiatrist a super supportive family and a host of friends. The day of my suicide attempt I had a therapy appointment in the morning. Yet none of that was enough. I will say to anyone persuing this journey get your mental health in order. I had at the time 2.3 years of sobriety and a social worker.

Sent from my moto e5 play using BariatricPal mobile app

03/03/2019 04:45 PM, Heidihoo said:

Among other things I live with are Major Depression, PTSD, etc. I completely sabotaged my diet from soon after 3rd month post-op. In hindsight, I was not at all psychologically ready for life with an RNY. I should have been denied. We didn't delve deep enough, and I regret things weren't addressed. Please be more aware and more aware from that, for others, before you get GBS. Slippery slope!

I would encourage you both to speak to your mental health professionals and ask them if they are aware of the malabsorption issues after RNY especially but the sleeve also. We just went through this same scenario with a family member and it got really bad. Luckily her Dr came across a study about this and switched her medicines to liquid and the ones that aren’t available in liquid she crushes and adds to applesauce. It has quite literally saved her life. And please, im not advising anyone to start crushing their pills because some time released meds CANNOT be crushed. I’m just not sure all drs are aware that this may be an issue and unfortunately sometimes we have to be our own advocate.

im hoping you get answers and relief quickly and thank you for being brave enough to talk about this very important issue!

I worry about the absorption since I went to Vitamin capsules. had a blood draw on sunday and have my 3month post op the 13th so interested to see what my levels are.

Ah Avery's Mom I sure do hope they are superior or at least at an adequate level. I had so many weekly blood draws the time my PICC line was in , I think they would have,nearly reached Columbus, and I still don't know what this mysterious Iron, level is, I think it's a secret. Am I a whole iron skillet low or more like a I quart warm-up? IDK truly don't know after all, it's only MY BODY but nobody tells me nothing. That's one thing I hate about testing, it's always We'll Tell Your Doctor, why not tell me it's MY BODY I'm trying to live in!

On 2/23/2019 at 7:43 AM, FluffyChix said:

Very timely and well-thought post! Thanks for sharing this with us. It's 100% true!

I saw this yesterday and it kinda addresses a little of what you're talking about: How to Develop Healthy Habits for Life

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/8-ways-make-healthy-habit-stick/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MFP_Extra_HealthyHabitsforLife_20190222&os_ehash=55@sfmc:181675394

Excellent article, Thank You!