Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I appreciate the above two responses! I will need to add more Water to my diet. I try hard to drink at least 64 oz but have been afraid of stretching my stomach. I will also need to add more Protein, need to figure out how though :) Saw some recent post on it so I will start researching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I find increasing Fluid intake very helpful. Also, try measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself. When the scale isn't moving, I measure myself and those numbers are definitely moving. Our bodies keep having to catch up with what we are doing so we hit "stalls" or plateaus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DO NOT WEIGH EVERY DAY! Once a week is sufficient. Water WATER WATER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey @LoveFood ! Was just thinking about you and hoping you’re doing ok. From a fellow slow loser club member I can totally relate to your frustration. My 3 top tips (that I wish I could follow myself 😂)
1) STOP weighing. Period! If it’s bringing frustration and stress it can have an adverse effect on your progress.
2) take your measurements. Even during a week when the scale showed nothing I had lost an inch in my neck alone
3) Follow the plan your Dr/team set up for you to the T. If you aren’t measuring your food, start. In my case I wasn’t getting as much Protein as I thought when I started weighing and measuring.
And then just stay the course. It’s rough when I read these “I lost 30 lbs in one month”. I’m happy for them but it makes me feel like I’VE done something wrong. Each of us lose at different rates based on beginning weight, sex, age and harmones. It WILL happen and statistics are in our favor that those who lose slow and steady are more likely to keep it off. (Maybe I made that last one up but I’m sticking with it!!)
Hang in there!! I’m walking right there next to you and WE WILL get there 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DanaC84 said:

Hey @LoveFood ! Was just thinking about you and hoping you’re doing ok. From a fellow slow loser club member I can totally relate to your frustration. My 3 top tips (that I wish I could follow myself 😂)
1) STOP weighing. Period! If it’s bringing frustration and stress it can have an adverse effect on your progress.
2) take your measurements. Even during a week when the scale showed nothing I had lost an inch in my neck alone
3) Follow the plan your Dr/team set up for you to the T. If you aren’t measuring your food, start. In my case I wasn’t getting as much Protein as I thought when I started weighing and measuring.
And then just stay the course. It’s rough when I read these “I lost 30 lbs in one month”. I’m happy for them but it makes me feel like I’VE done something wrong. Each of us lose at different rates based on beginning weight, sex, age and harmones. It WILL happen and statistics are in our favor that those who lose slow and steady are more likely to keep it off. (Maybe I made that last one up but I’m sticking with it!!)
Hang in there!! I’m walking right there next to you and WE WILL get there 👍🏻

Thank you!! I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To LoveFood. I am with you on the sloooow weight loss, but mine finally kicked in about 7 weeks out. I even made an appointment with my surgeon thinking something HAD to be wrong! I lost lots the first two weeks and then nothing. Even gained 3 lbs. I was depressed and frustrated deluxe. And it really made it worse to read here about someone losing 50 lbs the first month!
But, remember this too is a process and there are SO MANY contributing factors to the weight loss.
You’ve been given some excellent ideas here to help. But one thing I want to add: follow your drs protocol. One thing I know from reading this forum is that there is a HUGE difference in what drs day to do. Stick with your dr. For example mine believes that drinking Protein Shakes or Protein Drinks should be a daily occurrence almost for life. Quick easy way to make sure your Protein is up! And there are plenty on the market that are low in calories and low in sugar! Now I absolutely barf up the shakes, but I drink the clear protein Water. Sometimes two a day.
Just keep on keepin’ on! You’ll be delighted before long. AND remember you are not alone on this journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I appreciate the above two responses! I will need to add more Water to my diet. I try hard to drink at least 64 oz but have been afraid of stretching my stomach. I will also need to add more Protein, need to figure out how though [emoji4] Saw some recent post on it so I will start researching.
I was worried about this as well. After much research you can't stretch your stomach easily. As far as water goes it goes straight through as the pyloric valve is always open for fluids to go through.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How many calories are you getting daily? I am almost 5 weeks out I drink 2 4 oz Protein Shakes a day and eat very little the other 3 times I eat. I’m able to eat about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons at each of my 3 food meals I am in the soft stage. I just went in to see my doctor and nutritionist. My nutritionist said I needed to up my calories I am to low . She wants me at 450 a day. My program doesn’t count Protein shakes as part of our Fluid intake for the day. I’m drinking about 62oz of Water a day. Are you exercising because you didn’t mention that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, unfortunately it's pretty common. Your body's still healing. It's not sure what do do right now. It'll start moving again soon, really it will. I got so frustrated and worried that I'd made a mistake in having the surgery, but it started moving again and keeps moving, slowly but surely, about a pound a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/14/2019 at 21:21, sisternewt@yahoo.com said:

To LoveFood. I am with you on the sloooow weight loss, but mine finally kicked in about 7 weeks out. I even made an appointment with my surgeon thinking something HAD to be wrong! I lost lots the first two weeks and then nothing. Even gained 3 lbs. I was depressed and frustrated deluxe. And it really made it worse to read here about someone losing 50 lbs the first month!

But, remember this too is a process and there are SO MANY contributing factors to the weight loss.

You’ve been given some excellent ideas here to help. But one thing I want to add: follow your drs protocol. One thing I know from reading this forum is that there is a HUGE difference in what drs day to do. Stick with your dr. For example mine believes that drinking Protein Shakes or Protein Drinks should be a daily occurrence almost for life. Quick easy way to make sure your Protein is up! And there are plenty on the market that are low in calories and low in sugar! Now I absolutely barf up the shakes, but I drink the clear Protein Water. Sometimes two a day.

Just keep on keepin’ on! You’ll be delighted before long. AND remember you are not alone on this journey!
Thank you for this! I am just about at the 7 week mark and for the first time I’ve seen the scale drop for the last two days!
And I am TOTALLY on board with sticking to OUR drs plan .
What brand of protein Water are you drinking? I used to love the Premiere fruit punch but after my liquid stages, not so much 🥴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Loving this thread and the responses!

Okay so this is kinda getting personal, but I’m gonna share here because I’m thinking there are others here with me that might have this issue.

As part of this procedure, my insurance company set me up with a therapist that I have phone calls with for 45 mins every other week.
I’ve been with her now since November and she is a 32 year bypass veteran.

When I hit my “stall” in week 3 and the scale didn’t move for almost 2 weeks, she didn’t tell me I was being silly in worrying, and didn’t make me feel selfish for complaining that I’d lost almost 2 pounds daily and then stopped cold. She also didn’t berate me for not believing in the science behind the procedure.

What she did instead was to empathize with my feelings that I was going to be the only person who “failed” bariatric surgery while follwing all instructions to a tee.
She understood what kind of psychological damage my body has done to me by never wanting to lose weight easily and by giving me breast cancer at the age of 40. She understood my feelings of distrust during years of infertility and repeated miscarriages in my 20’s and how when I finally did have that second baby, that my body rewarded me with gestational diabetes and 80 pounds that I carried around ( lots of yo-yo dieting in the intervening 22 years) to this day. 

Her response was “ you’re afraid of being judged negatively because your body has repeatedly shown itself to be untrustworthy and because it ‘betrays’ you all of the time. Who in your position wouldn’t have these fears, my dear?”

Well that was pretty profound because after thinking hard about it, the hard truth is I really can’t trust my body to “ do the right thing” so when a mini stall happens, or I don’t lose what I think I should those feelings of “ omg, here we go yet again” creep back like some kind of PTSD.

None of us should ever need to apologize for those feelings because they are REAL and we’ve all been scarred at one point or another or else we wouldn’t be here.

I will continue to have optimism and follow instructions to the best of my ability, but I will also continue to keep looking over my shoulder and keep an eye out for future betrayals like a jilted lover does with the one who keeps cheating on her over and over and over again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/15/2019 at 21:55, Sheribear68 said:

Loving this thread and the responses!

Okay so this is kinda getting personal, but I’m gonna share here because I’m thinking there are others here with me that might have this issue.

As part of this procedure, my insurance company set me up with a therapist that I have phone calls with for 45 mins every other week.
I’ve been with her now since November and she is a 32 year bypass veteran.

When I hit my “stall” in week 3 and the scale didn’t move for almost 2 weeks, she didn’t tell me I was being silly in worrying, and didn’t make me feel selfish for complaining that I’d lost almost 2 pounds daily and then stopped cold. She also didn’t berate me for not believing in the science behind the procedure.

What she did instead was to empathize with my feelings that I was going to be the only person who “failed” bariatric surgery while follwing all instructions to a tee.
She understood what kind of psychological damage my body has done to me by never wanting to lose weight easily and by giving me breast cancer at the age of 40. She understood my feelings of distrust during years of infertility and repeated miscarriages in my 20’s and how when I finally did have that second baby, that my body rewarded me with gestational diabetes and 80 pounds that I carried around ( lots of yo-yo dieting in the intervening 22 years) to this day. 

Her response was “ you’re afraid of being judged negatively because your body has repeatedly shown itself to be untrustworthy and because it ‘betrays’ you all of the time. Who in your position wouldn’t have these fears, my dear?”

Well that was pretty profound because after thinking hard about it, the hard truth is I really can’t trust my body to “ do the right thing” so when a mini stall happens, or I don’t lose what I think I should those feelings of “ omg, here we go yet again” creep back like some kind of PTSD.

None of us should ever need to apologize for those feelings because they are REAL and we’ve all been scarred at one point or another or else we wouldn’t be here.

I will continue to have optimism and follow instructions to the best of my ability, but I will also continue to keep looking over my shoulder and keep an eye out for future betrayals like a jilted lover does with the one who keeps cheating on her over and over and over again
Thank you for this Sheri! I read too much on here that feels almost like fat shaming. That somehow what we’re experiencing is OUR fault and it just sounds too much like “eat this or do this and the weight will come off”. When all we’re looking for is a safe place to vent our frustration in our CURRENT position. It doesn’t mean I think I’m going to stay here forever. It’s just scary as all get out sometimes. I finally had to start thinking of it like childbirth and realize that the further some people are out from the surgery the less they remember the actual fear of the unknown and pain of the birth. They’re just happy with that baby!
I like your therapist!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's crazy that not enough Water can make such a big difference but it does. I'm seeing a very clear correlation between not getting the minimum water and stalling. When I go to bed I take stock of how much water I actually drank. If I didn't drink 64 oz I know the next morning I will likely not see any drop in weight. Sometimes it actually goes up a lb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes Dana. You truly hit the nail on the head by saying we need a safe place to post our thoughts and fears.
Yes, I realize that my body will eventually get on board and continue to do what the science behind these surgeries will “force” it to do, but any stoppage in progress is absolutely scary as hell.
Knowing that many of us feel this same way and being able to empathize and relate to those feelings is so very empowering.
For starters, we know that WE ARE NOT ALONE. Just that in and of itself helps so much.

And CaribeRidge..... you are absolutely right on Water.
There have been many days that I’ve drank over 80 ounces and not lost a single ounce, but I’ve never experienced a loss while drinking under 64.
Water is definitely key and makes the whole process run better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Healthy_life2

      it took me a long time to grow my hair back after all the surgery hair loss. Hairdresser screwed up my Hair, Now It’s way too short and I just want to cry. It will grow back. But damn. I'm in a pitty party.
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Uniballer420

      Just had my first doctor's appointment about the surgery. I  qualify and am just starting 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • WeGettingThere

      Hey ya'll. SO. I got down to 199 for the weigh in but gained it all back right after. I have to do another month of weight management. They switched out the nutritionists at the last second and she said she doesn't pass anyone unless they have 5 veggies a week. I'm starting metformin and Farxiga today. Doc found a little bit of blood in my urine but wasn't too concerned. I'm trying not to freak myself out either. Depression is a little more intense than usual. I'm all over the damn place. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jen M

      3/19 - It wasn't a bad day I stayed up quite a bit much of the day. Have to focus on walking more before it gets too hot to walk outside at all.   Pain was less, but insomnia has kicked in the last two nights
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • JessLess

      I hit Onderland today! I feel great!
      · 4 replies
      1. GreenTealael

        💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

        💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

        🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

        💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

        💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

        👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜

        🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇

        💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

        🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

        🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

        🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

        💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

        ❤❤❤❤❤CONGRATULATIONS❤❤❤❤❤

        💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

        🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

        🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

        🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

        💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

        🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇🎇

        👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜👜

        💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

        💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

        🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

        💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

        💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎💎

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Congratulations! That's onederful!

      3. JessLess

        @Orchids&Dragons, thanks! 💚

      4. Dr-Patient

        Congratulations. I remember that day for me: May 13, 2014. I thought it'd never happen (especially after a 7-day stall at 200.2!!), but it was a "Hallelujah" day! Now...stay on program so you can stay in Onederland. After five years, especially...when ghrelin returns. So stay on track.

        CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Onederland is a GREAT place to be.

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×