Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass tomorrow and scared

Im having bypass tomorrow and im getting super nervous. I cant believe the time has finally come. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

You got this. So normal being scared. Trust your team and yourself. A year from now, you won't recognize your new life and will question why you waited so long and why on earth you were fearful. Embrace the suck. It's gonna suck for a few days. But then the healing and losing begin!

Yeah, don't take a load of crap the hospital. I took, disposable slippers, a toothbrush, Biotene spray, and my phone. I didn't even take underroos. Went commando and used their gowns. Wore the same thing home that wore to the hospital. Make sure to have stretchy pants and loose top. Bring a pillow and leave it in the car for going home after surgery.

The End. :)

6 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

The End. :)

LOL!

1 hour ago, Ed_NW said:

LOL!

She's so hilarious @FluffyChix tehehehehe

I am just a little over two weeks so my advice....take all the drugs they give you, pack light but I did put underwear and my own pants on before I went for my first walk and it felt great to have pants on and not an open cape or whatever ... walk and then walk more. Sip sip sip. And make sure you have liquid Tylenol for at home. I found that helped me a lot after. I didn’t take narcotics when I got home but did take Tylenol for a week off and on as needed. I also took my pillow with me to my room and found it helpful when getting up. Don’t be like me and leave your phone charger in your room when you leave though 🙃

Be strong. Think of the future. Think of a better life. Healthy happy life.

Did someone say Cape +++ enters Superman :)

Exactly what Fluffy said! The only thing I can add is ask for an abdominal binder while in the hospital if they don't offer one. It keeps everything nice and supported while getting out of bed and walking. I used mine for about a week or so and then didn't feel I needed it after that.

I was really scared, too. I mean, this is a big surgery and it's ELECTIVE - not like an appendectomy that you don't have a choice about. You are opening a whole new chapter of your life - one that will change you forever in a very good way. Hang in there! Walk through that door to a new life waiting for you!

The volunteers at my hospital make little firm pillows for helping with coughing and moving - like getting out of bed. See if they have something like that - firmer than a regular bed pillow. My little pillow was my best friend for about 10 days! Also - wear your compression stockings at home if you have varicose veins. I ended up with superficial thrombophlebitis in my varicose veins which is very painful. It would have helped for me to wear my stockings more.