Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic hives after gastric sleeve

I had a gastric sleeve a little over 3 years ago. Had a pretty bad local allergic reaction to the steri strips used to cover incisions. Took a week of prednisone and got better. Shortly thereafter, I broke out in horrible itchy hives. Was tested for every allergy and disease possible and everything was negative. Had to go on biologics/ immunosuppressants and am still on them to this day. My theory is that I’m allergic to the metal staples they use to close the stomach pouch after the gastrectomy. Anyone else dealing with this or have an opinion on my theory?

I very much doubt that it is the staples.

I'm sorry you've been afflicted with chronic hives!

It's conceivable they are due to a hypersensitivity to the staples, though it is more likely merely a case of correlation rather than causation.

https://www.elynsgroup.com/article/titanium-staples-allergy-in-a-middle-aged-female-patient

Have any of the tests specifically been for metals?

If you're taking any Vitamins or prescription medications have you been tested to see if you have any sensitives to any of the ingredients in them? Even if they had not previously been problematic it's possible to develop issues over time. Pain medications in particular can cause hives.

Insects and parasites can as well, and they can be difficult to detect.

You can also develop food allergies with time. Following the surgery, you probably would have changed your diet quite dramatically.

There is a condition called Dermagrafia, where you can take a pointed object and write something on your arm and it raises welts. Once my mama got angry , I must have done something to displease her, she slapped, me, raised a c welt so bad and lasted so l9ng she got a visit from Child Protective Services. In her defense, although its pretty indefensible, she,had a raging menopause as did,her,mother, my grandmother. Finally the doctors were c able to to trade hormone replacements. and bring n her down in increments . And Praise,God, I was not,a Stormin: Norma and I did not subject my,own 3 to such shenanigans. And FYI it does itch like the,Fires of Hades, finally had to take antihistamines, better to be a little sleepy than to be miserable. And it broke the legacy of child abusing pretty well. I guess hrrboen,mother threatened to commit suicide If the children, especially my,mother went to school, going to throw b herself out a second floor window, now this was in the 20s, no medical help, they lived 6 or 7 miles out in the country, and no one cares to secure her some,help. The Good ole Days could be bad old Days, not bragging, just stating some facts.

I’m new here. Is there a way to respond to individual comments/replies?

I had food allergy testing, changed all my Vitamins to the best quality I could find, even stopped them altogether. For about six months, I wasn’t even taking any meds. Even went gluten free for awhile

I haven’t had metal allergy testing yet because it’s not covered by insurance and even if I test positive, I don’t think the staples can be removed.

Yesterday I made an appointment to see a new bariatric surgeon to see what his thoughts are.

Edited by Barbara V

I was highly allergic to the nausea patch behind the ear, I no longer can use them and broke out in hives and was extremely itchy around my arm area

On 2/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, Barbara V said:

I had a gastric sleeve a little over 3 years ago. Had a pretty bad local allergic reaction to the steri strips used to cover incisions. Took a week of prednisone and got better. Shortly thereafter, I broke out in horrible itchy hives. Was tested for every allergy and disease possible and everything was negative. Had to go on biologics/ immunosuppressants and am still on them to this day. My theory is that I’m allergic to the metal staples they use to close the stomach pouch after the gastrectomy. Anyone else dealing with this or have an opinion on my theory?

Hi Barbara,

I have just come across your post. I had a Gastric Sleeve almost two years ago. I had no complications and my diet, although smaller quantities, has not changed in any way. I have suffered from chronic hives since the surgery and never had them at any time in my life previously. I'm going through hell. Every morning I wake up with them all over my body...feet, hands, face, hair...everywhere. They are huge, raised, red lumps that itch like nothing on earth. My eyes are red and swollen. I take antihistamines which eventually take them down 2-3 hours later. I'm clueless as to what is causing this. I am in misery every day. There are cases like ours online but no studies or conclusions.

@Tiff71This was actually happening to me and I thought I was crazy!! Starting in early March, I would just be sitting down and feel my skin starting to swell. The final straw was going for a walk/jog and when I stopped, I had a major flare up on my thighs and arms!

I had a virtual appointment and was prescribed generic Zyrtec. I have been taking it for about 2 weeks now and have not had a flare up again. Have you changed anything recently (vitamins, food)? For me, I think it was a new sugar free drink or these new bariatric Vitamins that I tried. I stopped both until I can get to allergist for them to do some testing. But it is frustrating, especially when you can't figure out what the heck is going on.

I actually developed a sun allergy after getting the sleeve. Puffy eyes, itchy welts on neck and chest progressing to arms and legs and eventually feet if I continue to expose my skin.

The only answer I found was to keep covered outdoors. I even found a long sleeve swim top.

I've had chronic hives for 18 years, pre-surgery. My doctors were never able to find any particular cause. It took about 3 years to find an allergy medication that worked - before that I was absolutely miserable, for years...taking benadryl all the time and barely awake, but still itchy. Now they are mostly controlled.

All my sympathy! I hope you find a solution that at least allows you to live your life.

idk if your condition is related to surgery. but look up urticaria (chronic hives), i've never had WLS, but one day out of nowhere my senior year of high school, my skin started freaking out and i was diagnosed with urticaria. It flares, i was in remission or whatever for a couple years, then it got really bad last year.. right now its stopped but i'm scared its gonna come back. basically my dr treated with allergy medications. also the eczema/oatmeal cream from aveeno helped me a lot.

Edited by Ivyyy
typo

No allergy medicine on the planet helps my hives and itching. Prednisone helps but you can’t be on that forever. I’m on my fourth or fifth biological medicine (now taking Humira injections). I was on something called Cimzia last year that was working and then I had a brain aneurysm. Don’t know if the two are related. Next month it’ll be five years since my gastric sleeve and I’ve gained back all the weight I’ve lost plus some. Most of this is my fault but I’m sure prednisone doesn’t help either. I’m having to take it off/on until Humira kicks in.

Edited by Barbara V

On 2/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, Lena809 said:

I was highly allergic to the nausea patch behind the ear, I no longer can use them and broke out in hives and was extremely itchy around my arm area

On 5/13/2020 at 6:11 PM, Tiff71 said:

Hi Barbara,

I have just come across your post. I had a Gastric Sleeve almost two years ago. I had no complications and my diet, although smaller quantities, has not changed in any way. I have suffered from chronic hives since the surgery and never had them at any time in my life previously. I'm going through hell. Every morning I wake up with them all over my body...feet, hands, face, hair...everywhere. They are huge, raised, red lumps that itch like nothing on earth. My eyes are red and swollen. I take antihistamines which eventually take them down 2-3 hours later. I'm clueless as to what is causing this. I am in misery every day. There are cases like ours online but no studies or conclusions.

Try to find a really good dermatologist and see if they can start you on Xolair injections. They were a lifesaver for me for a couple of years. I had to switch to another injectable because they were causing me Migraines.