Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird Stuff That Delayed Your Surgery Approval

I remember they found a ton of ulcers when they did the endoscopy. It was a complete surprise to me. That set things back until they were treated.

Once I was cleared, I then learned my surgeon was going away the day after my surgery and he wanted to reschedule. I was very upset and cried on the phone. Several phone calls later, I was able to convince him I was fine with his partner doing the postop work (especially since both were actually going to be in the operating theater).

When in doubt; 😢, lol

Feel sorry for you guys in America I've been told I only need one dietitian appointment before seeing the surgeon and I only got insurance for this surgery. In Australia we have public Medicare but that doesn't cover WLS it covers most everything else I've never paid for a GP in my life.

24 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

Feel sorry for you guys in America I've been told I only need one dietitian appointment before seeing the surgeon and I only got insurance for this surgery. In Australia we have public Medicare but that doesn't cover WLS it covers most everything else I've never paid for a GP in my life.

Although I hate waiting for my surgery date I actually think the multiple appointments including nutrition and psychology have been a good thing. My pre-program has been extensive but I feel I am mentally prepared for giving up these foods. I worked with a psychologist and made changes on a personal and family level that I wish I had made years ago. So for me I know I would not be as successful had I went to one appointment and then had surgery. In fact my nutrition classes were the least helpful for me since I KNOW what is healthy, I just wasn’t doing it. Glad to know you have free medical care, that is a whole different discussion for a whole different forum!!!😄

Yeah we have access To Medicare if we meet certain criteria and willing to wait a few years on public list we could get free surgery but have to jump through hoops so it's easier for me to get private insurance to get surgery in 12 months

My other half broke his ankle and couldn’t drive during the time I had initially scheduled. Pushed me out about 6 weeks.

So not insurance related but one of those life laughed at my plan...

On 2/10/2019 at 8:43 AM, Mikeyy said:

I'm American and have a friend who went to India for the surgery (self-pay). He has insurance but didn't want to jump through all the hoops that were necessary before the could have surgery. He saw the doctor one week and had surgery the next.

First of all, I would never go to India for any type of major surgery. And I agree with 49Nash--the time involved in getting all the required approvals gave me lots of time to do research and fully understand what this surgery is about. It made me feel much more confident of my decision and much less anxious.

4 hours ago, Bkprincess21 said:

I've been delay twice already due to my thyroid issues

Princess, are you by any chance in Washington DC? There was a woman in my pre-op class who was having thyroid issues, and I'm wondering whether that was you.

13 hours ago, Bkprincess21 said:

No I live in NYC

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Who is doing your surgery?

1 hour ago, Bkprincess21 said:
1 hour ago, Postop said:
Who is doing your surgery?

I go to Methodist Hospital Dr. Gorecki

Brooklyn, I think. 🙂