Jump to content
ร—
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Howdy! I'm halfway finished with my dietician stuff and the further I get into the process (which has gone great so far - knock on wood), I still get this nagging feeling that something is going to happen to derail forward progress and result in a delay in getting approved (irrational, yes I know). My insurance company is great, their requirements are little to nothing, I have no weight loss requirements, only dietician visit stuff. I'm not worried about the administrative side, per se. Mainly I'm talking about health-related stuff that could crop up unexpectedly and cause a delay in this post-op process. Has anyone out there had something come up unexpectedly that messed up your post-op progress? :783_heart_decoration:

Edited by ๐Ÿ…บ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ด๐Ÿ…บ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only "extra" effort was because my primary doctor wouldn't clear me and I had to get three approvals from Primary Care doctor for general stuff, one from a Cardiologist as to heart, and one from my pulmonologist because I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP. That just surprised me that I need all three clearances, but other than that no delays due to health conditions or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GradyCat said:

My only "extra" effort was because my primary doctor wouldn't clear me and I had to get three approvals from Primary Care doctor for general stuff, one from a Cardiologist as to heart, and one from my pulmonologist because I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP. That just surprised me that I need all three clearances, but other than that no delays due to health conditions or anything.

Well that's definitely some extra annoying legwork! I'm glad your process was pretty painless. You seem to be doing great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It didnโ€™t delay me but I was Hpylori positive. My recheck was the date of my last appointment and it negative (luckily). Just waiting for my surgery date now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had a delay... yet.. but I have the same feeling. So far I've had to go to a lot of drs. 1. pulmonology (who then sent me for a sleep apnea test which came back negative) I was told I was cleared but I don't know if they have gotten clearance yet. 2. cardiology. I have high blood pressure. I then got sent for an echocardiogram and a stress test. Both came back normal. I was told I was cleared but I don't know if they have gotten the clearance letter yet. I go to my 3rd nutrition appointment on 2/11. I'm hoping I'm cleared then. I haven't been told to lose any weight. I have lost a few pounds but not much. I had to get a clearance from my primary dr. I was told that went over last week. I'm slightly obsessive and like to check boxes so not being able to get verification of things is driving me crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DelawareWoman said:

I haven't had a delay... yet.. but I have the same feeling. So far I've had to go to a lot of drs. 1. pulmonology (who then sent me for a sleep apnea test which came back negative) I was told I was cleared but I don't know if they have gotten clearance yet. 2. cardiology. I have high blood pressure. I then got sent for an echocardiogram and a stress test. Both came back normal. I was told I was cleared but I don't know if they have gotten the clearance letter yet. I go to my 3rd nutrition appointment on 2/11. I'm hoping I'm cleared then. I haven't been told to lose any weight. I have lost a few pounds but not much. I had to get a clearance from my primary dr. I was told that went over last week. I'm slightly obsessive and like to check boxes so not being able to get verification of things is driving me crazy.

Nice to know I'm not alone! I'm the same way with lists and planning. Must be some sort of control freak issue LOL So far I've managed to get a lot accomplished to settle my mind like my dietician visits. Normally they don't schedule them out ahead of time, but my girl went ahead and allowed it so now I know exactly when my stuff should be submitted to insurance. I intentionally set the last appt to May 1st in hopes of getting all the insurance crap done by mid-may and in the OR by end of May :P That helped plan my time off from work which also relieved stress for my boss. So...win win! Fingers crossed for your 2/11 approval :783_heart_decoration:

Edited by ๐Ÿ…บ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ด๐Ÿ…บ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 49Nash said:

It didnโ€™t delay me but I was Hpylori positive. My recheck was the date of my last appointment and it negative (luckily). Just waiting for my surgery date now

Awesome! Did they give you something to get rid of the H. Pylori?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky. They scheduled (or so I thought) all of my appointments at my consultation but each doctor then added to the appointments. I ended up with 2-3 a week for the entire month of January and into February. Now the only thing on my list is my nutrition and my pre-op on 2/20. Surgery is scheduled 3/12 and until I get insurance approval I'm going to be a hot mess. My insurance company said that they don't have any requirements but I'm right on the cusp of 40 bmi going into 39 and I only have high blood pressure. (no apnea, good cholestrol, no diabetes although I am prediabetic according to my primary).. fingers crossed. It's funny.. the only thing I have to have control over is my schedule and my money. .. anything else, I'm very go with the flow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iโ€™m new to this forum and I canโ€™t figure out how to reply to the question about Hpylori. But yes, you have to take 2 different antibiotics and reflux meds for 2 weeks and a probiotic for a month. They retest one month after you complete the antibiotics to make sure you are negative. I was worried it would still be positive (since I had no symptoms and only mild reflux when i tested positive). If so I would have had to repeat the whole thing and be retested in 6 more weeks. I also had to have cardiac clearance but I did that a long time ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 49Nash said:

Iโ€™m new to this forum and I canโ€™t figure out how to reply to the question about Hpylori. But yes, you have to take 2 different antibiotics and reflux meds for 2 weeks and a probiotic for a month. They retest one month after you complete the antibiotics to make sure you are negative. I was worried it would still be positive (since I had no symptoms and only mild reflux when i tested positive). If so I would have had to repeat the whole thing and be retested in 6 more weeks. I also had to have cardiac clearance but I did that a long time ago

No worries. Things are slightly different depending on if you're using the BP phone app, phone browser or on a computer. I think in the app, you can't quote a person in a thread to reply to...which is weird. I never use it anymore because of that.

Good to know they can clear that up. Do you have any idea what the cause is?

Edited by ๐Ÿ…บ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ…ด๐Ÿ…บ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was lucky. They scheduled (or so I thought) all of my appointments at my consultation but each doctor then added to the appointments. I ended up with 2-3 a week for the entire month of January and into February. Now the only thing on my list is my nutrition and my pre-op on 2/20. Surgery is scheduled 3/12 and until I get insurance approval I'm going to be a hot mess. My insurance company said that they don't have any requirements but I'm right on the cusp of 40 bmi going into 39 and I only have high blood pressure. (no apnea, good cholestrol, no diabetes although I am prediabetic according to my primary).. fingers crossed. It's funny.. the only thing I have to have control over is my schedule and my money. .. anything else, I'm very go with the flow.
My doctor office said they will not put people on the calendar until insurance approval. I get mine may 6th

Sent from my SM-J727V using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iโ€™m scheduled 3/12. and I have one more nutrition to do 2/11 then Iโ€™m done. Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DelawareWoman said:

Iโ€™m scheduled 3/12. and I have one more nutrition to do 2/11 then Iโ€™m done. Fingers crossed.

image.png.c3deeca077b3c30f71e5d70b6ebc3f27.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbond1825 said:

My doctor office said they will not put people on the calendar until insurance approval. I get mine may 6th

Bummer :( I guess every office is different depending on where you are and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bummer [emoji20] I guess every office is different depending on where you are and stuff.
True [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-J727V using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ProudGrammy

      home from GA. grand-daughter HS grad - she was the best! are you surprised?!! good to be home and back to you guys - missed you all!! - kathy
      ยท 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • christa_reid

      Hi Iย  am new here and I am going to have the gastric sleeve next month. I have to pay out of pocket so it is going quite quickly. The longer I wait the more bad stories I hear. I weigh 315 and 61 years old so I have a lot to lose. Any advice is welcome
      ยท 1 reply
      1. ProudGrammy

        welcome - hope all went well w/ WLS, and you are feeling good. bad stories stick out in the mind - many many good stuff too - remember those. This is a marathon, not a sprint - i know you'll great!! good luck- kathy

    • ProudGrammy

      Georgia on my mind - off to grand-daughters high school graduation - she's smart and cute as a button, just like her grammy,โ˜บ๏ธ
      kathy
      ยท 2 replies
      1. SusieQ2019

        Congratulations to her Proud Granny, and wishing her a bright and successful future.

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Congrats to your granddaughter! Have a wonderful trip!

    • *Meaghan*

      Went to my initial consult with the Bariatric surgeon/ program I chose. Came home with a folder full of information &ย helpful organization of all the testing that needs to be completed while I complete the required nutritional counseling. She also let me know my insurance typically takes 6 weeks to reply with authorization when submitted, so that puts my potential surgery date near the new year if all stays on trackย ย I felt comfortable with her, in our discussions she agrees that I am a good candidate for the Gastric Bypass. I appreciated the 'introduction' class that was given after the consult with the surgeon where I was given this binder of every referral (from her, not my pcp referrals), & contact information for all the testing needed to make my contacts/calls tomorrow morning even easierย I start my nutrition classes on June 5th, so that's when the clock will start toward insurance approval & getting the tool to help me reach my goals
      ยท 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Torie Faye

      I had my Bypass Surgery on 04/25/2019 I'd weighted before surgery 308 and now 285. I get depressed because I thought it would be more. I follow all instructions from Dr.. Green walk every day work out and eating solid foodsย 
      ยท 1 reply
      1. ProudGrammy

        welcome welcome - 23 lbs pre/post op is great. you are doing fine. keep up the good work. kathy

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Keto and Bariatric Surgery

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. Little known facts about losing weight after bariatric surgery

      Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    3. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ร—