Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroid Sleevers?

I did a search on past topics but did not find what I am looking for, so I decided to start this post looking for fellow patients who have hypothyroidism. I had surgery 2 months ago, primarily to alleviate my T2 diabetic symptoms. So far, I'm off all my diabetic meds and am cautiously optimistic my symptoms will continually improve in that regard.

My concern is I have not lost as much weight as I would have liked by this point. I know we are all different, and I did start at a lower BMI due to my T2 comorbidity. In 2 months, I have lost almost 24 lbs, which, believe me, I'm thrilled about. I'm continuing to lose at a rate of 1.5-2 lbs per week.

For anyone else with hypothyroidism, did you find yourself losing weight quickly or slower than others? Losing weight has always been a struggle for me since the onset of my thyroid issue, and I do plan to address this with my surgeon at my next appointment (this Thursday).

Yes, I also have hypothyroidism but hadn't considered how it's going to affect my weight loss post-sleeve. Good question! My surgery was 12/11 and I've lost 19 pounds.

Well congratulations Grady Cat, that's a great start, I would guess with hypothyroid you would lose at a slower rate, but we are all built a little different, you might prove me wrong. Mine has slowed down because of my TPN. but I still lost 3 pounds this last month, I will be back down to where I was the end of November, the difference I am no longer deficient in Protein or very malnourished, regained 12 pounds in the hospital, but they are leaving again the healthy way! And I am still a work in progress, my final outcome lies way ahead! Some people drop the weight and go into maintainable at one year, I will probably take 18 months, but March 2020 I am going to set the world back on its heels, and this will happen before I turn 75. Good Frustr8 Days ahead, oh it will be a struggle but I AM THE WOMAN FOR THE JOB!

I have hashimotos and the weight dropped off at the beginning. We are all different so don’t beat yourself up for not losing at the same rate as anyone else... A loss is a loss, so well done ! 😀

Congratulations on the weight loss, my decision to have the sleeve stemmed from my hypothyroidism. I was sleeved on 12/21/18 have only lost 22 pounds. Not as much as I would've liked but then again I was at a BMI of 33. I'm not beating myself up over it. I don't want to have too much saggy skin due to the rapid weight lose. My doctor said the surgery should improve my thyroid. Going from not being able to lose weight to losing 22 pounds is more than I could ask for.

Hello, I have hypothyroid post partial thyroidectomy. I primarily got this surgery to shock my body because it is very hard to loose weight when you have a low thyroid in my opinion. I did find the beginning to be slow and you are still swollen keep in mind. I lost between 2-10 lb per week for the first 6 months. It flew off the next 1.5 years and I hit many many stalls for 2-6 weeks long during that time. Stick to your program and you will see results catch up.

I did a search on past topics but did not find what I am looking for, so I decided to start this post looking for fellow patients who have hypothyroidism. I had surgery 2 months ago, primarily to alleviate my T2 diabetic symptoms. So far, I'm off all my diabetic meds and am cautiously optimistic my symptoms will continually improve in that regard.
My concern is I have not lost as much weight as I would have liked by this point. I know we are all different, and I did start at a lower BMI due to my T2 comorbidity. In 2 months, I have lost almost 24 lbs, which, believe me, I'm thrilled about. I'm continuing to lose at a rate of 1.5-2 lbs per week.
For anyone else with hypothyroidism, did you find yourself losing weight quickly or slower than others? Losing weight has always been a struggle for me since the onset of my thyroid issue, and I do plan to address this with my surgeon at my next appointment (this Thursday).
I dont have a thyroid at all anymore, so im hypo. Its wht made me go for the gs. I couldn't budge it. My bmi was 35. 10/24/18 sw 219
Current weight 180
Goal is 150.
I only had about 70 to lose at the start, maybe thts y its going slower. But its coming off n no skin sagging...just want to keep on

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app