Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve and fibromyalgia

Hello all. I am new to the forum and am in the beginning stages of the surgery process. I have chosen the sleeve and have seen the required psychologist. I will still need to see the nutritionist.

I'd like to know if there are any fibromyalgia sufferers who have had the sleeve surgery? I am worried about how living with this condition may negatively impact my success. Any thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your health condition. Are you on medication for it? How does it impact your life now? Are you able to exercise?

I too live with Fibromyalgia, and also RA and Lupus. I am 2 weeks post-op. I had the sleeve surgery and I am so happy I did! I too was very nervous and I have to say I’ve ready lost 20lbs and I can feel the difference! I’m so happy , I wake up with a lot less pain after only 2 weeks and 20lbs. I am pleasantly surprised at how good I feel and how much better my chronic pain is. I know this will not be a cure , but without a doubt only good positive things can come from carrying around 100lbs less of me 😊. I wish you all the best on your journey.

I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am 2 weeks post op with my new sleeve. Since the start of my journey (I weighed in yesterday) I have lost a total of 45 lbs. and can definitely feel a different. My pain levels are not as high and I have reduced the use of anti inflammatorys and muscle relaxers. You are going to feel soooo much better. I wish you well on your journey. Keep us posted!

Sorry to hear about your health condition. Are you on medication for it? How does it impact your life now? Are you able to exercise?
Hello. Thanks for your response. Yes, I take multiple medications. I work a full time job, for which I have to commute. I do walk about a mile and a half a day but I'm going to try to start swimming. I'd say the biggest impact is not having the energy to do meal prep, getting food together to take to work, etc. That's my biggest fear. Will I be able to grab something I'm able to eat from a convenience store or something if I didnt prepare food for the day? How else will my pain and fatigue affect me post-surgery?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am also a fibromyalgia and lupus patient I am having the sleeve February 5th. I have numerous meds to take. How do you all deal with getting all of it in. The gabapentin and cymbals are large capsules. I appreciate any feedback or ideas

@Binglebug1977 ... I’m really not at the food prep stage yet. I don’t return to work till next week, and thought a lunch 🍴 cooler can keep my (baby foods with powder protein) in them as well as sealed containers of the Protein broths and Soups that I purchased from this site. As well as Protein Shakes. It’s a learn as you go process that’s for sure. And don’t forget to take your bottled Water 💦 with you everywhere you go! 😉 Good luck! 🍀

I had my sleeve surgery on 12/20/18 and I had many concerns with my fibromyalgia as well. For the first 2 weeks or so, I felt great. I take tramadol for pain daily and was able to cut my dose in half. I was walking daily and everything seemed to be okay. I was worried about getting exercise in because everyone said it was key to success so I went to the gym a few times. Mind you I did not work out prior to surgery because it always put me in a flare up. Well even though I exercised for sometimes only 15 minutes I hit a wall and have had a major flare up that has lasted for weeks. I am back on the full dose of my Tramadol and no longer feel "great". My pre surgery weight was 204.4. After pre-op diet I was 194.2 and am now 6 weeks out and am 180.4. Everyone is different so don't compare yourself to others. I have never found anything that relieves my pain in over 25 years so I had no expectations going in to this. Taking pills was never really a problem for me after surgery. While I couldn't eat much, the pills went down fine. As far as recovery I think I did just as well as anyone else. I still have problems getting in the amount of Protein, calories and Water so I think that is why I stay so low energy all the time but who knows it could be the fibromyalgia. This is not meant to be a negative post just a summary of my experience. Positive attitude is everything when you are healing from a surgery. You will do great and it just takes a little coordination to get your meal prep in.

I had my sleeve surgery on 12/20/18 and I had many concerns with my fibromyalgia as well. For the first 2 weeks or so, I felt great. I take tramadol for pain daily and was able to cut my dose in half. I was walking daily and everything seemed to be okay. I was worried about getting exercise in because everyone said it was key to success so I went to the gym a few times. Mind you I did not work out prior to surgery because it always put me in a flare up. Well even though I exercised for sometimes only 15 minutes I hit a wall and have had a major flare up that has lasted for weeks. I am back on the full dose of my Tramadol and no longer feel "great". My pre surgery weight was 204.4. After pre-op diet I was 194.2 and am now 6 weeks out and am 180.4. Everyone is different so don't compare yourself to others. I have never found anything that relieves my pain in over 25 years so I had no expectations going in to this. Taking pills was never really a problem for me after surgery. While I couldn't eat much, the pills went down fine. As far as recovery I think I did just as well as anyone else. I still have problems getting in the amount of Protein, calories and Water so I think that is why I stay so low energy all the time but who knows it could be the fibromyalgia. This is not meant to be a negative post just a summary of my experience. Positive attitude is everything when you are healing from a surgery. You will do great and it just takes a little coordination to get your meal prep in.

Thank you so much for your response. Even if it helps a little, I will consider it a success. 1just don't want to derail it because of the fibro

I have Fibro and I'm 2 weeks post op. The night of the surgery I had the worst flare up of my life, I think because of the trauma to my body. My experience was awful. I was in so much pain for the 1st few days. I haven't had a flare up since though.

4 hours ago, Louise is gonna Lose said:

Wow, you had surgery at 204lbs? That seems really low! I'm the same qith you when it comes to pills, I haven't had any problems. As far as the Protein, I drink the Premier Protein shakes (pre-made). They're actually good and they have 30grams each. Plus it adds to my liquids count, which is always difficult to get enough in daily.

19 hours ago, LoveFood said:

Wow, you had surgery at 204lbs? That seems really low! I'm the same qith you when it comes to pills, I haven't had any problems. As far as the Protein, I drink the Premier Protein shakes (pre-made). They're actually good and they have 30grams each. Plus it adds to my liquids count, which is always difficult to get enough in daily.

Yes it was a relatively low weight to start with but I am an extremely petite individual, not just in height. My bone structure is small and both my primary doctor and the surgeon felt it was a good option for me. My thighs are the biggest part on me and it was getting hard just to walk and the pain in my legs was keeping me up at night. Not to mention a whole lot of other ailments that many people at much higher weights experience. The doctors and I all knew that I would never lose the weight on my own. I was gaining in excess of 10 lbs a year and had gained 50 pounds from 2015 until 2018. So I decided to try to mitigate the weight gain. I can't tolerate the Protein Shakes, they make me sick and then I get too full and can't get in any regular food which the doctor would prefer I eat.

I have Fibro and I am 5 weeks out. I still have issues with pain and flare ups. I was on Gabapentin before and after surgery and then last week my Doctor switched me to Lyrica. Because these are capsules, I am having to open them up and mix them in with Water to take. I can't wait till I am able to just swallow the capsules. I am not sure if the Lyrica is working for me yet but I am experiencing fuzzy headed and fatigue with these pills along with dry mouth. I am hoping as time passes these symptoms will lower as well. I am also on Tramadol x2 pills every 6 hours or as needed as I have pain in my right shoulder for which I will be having surgery Feb 12th to repair. So with all that I have going on, I can't say that the surgery has helped me with Fibro yet.

I have Fibro and I am 5 weeks out. I still have issues with pain and flare ups. I was on Gabapentin before and after surgery and then last week my Doctor switched me to Lyrica. Because these are capsules, I am having to open them up and mix them in with Water to take. I can't wait till I am able to just swallow the capsules. I am not sure if the Lyrica is working for me yet but I am experiencing fuzzy headed and fatigue with these pills along with dry mouth. I am hoping as time passes these symptoms will lower as well. I am also on Tramadol x2 pills every 6 hours or as needed as I have pain in my right shoulder for which I will be having surgery Feb 12th to repair. So with all that I have going on, I can't say that the surgery has helped me with Fibro yet.
What about your weight loss? And does your pain and fatigue make it difficult to do everything you need to do with the drinking and food prep and excercise?