Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had vsg on January 9th...did 3 days of Clear Liquids post op and on full liquids until January 24th...I AM HUNGRY :'( I'm so sick of liquids...Does anyone have any suggestions or words of encouragement?

Yup... been there, done that. It will likely pass and is likely not real hunger, but rather a habit of eating for a variety of reasons... boredom, excitement, frustration, the fact that the clock says noon, etc. I was scared when I felt hungry, but it went away. Now at 3 months post-op it comes and goes. Most days don't have much or any hunger, and the days I do, I make sure to meet my Protein goals and then enjoy some veggies.

Sip, sip, sip through it and don't overthink it! Good luck!

It gets better. I got tired of drinking, so I did a lot of sugar-free popsicles for my liquids and I was allowed to eat sugar-free Jello and sugar-free pudding during my liquid phase. Just 5 more days until you get on soft foods, you can do this! 😊

Broths, sugar free popsicles, and Jell-O made it bearable for me personally. I still struggle with wondering if I am truly hungry, or am I just still in the habit of wanting to eat just to eat. It does get better - stay strong, you can get through this!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have no choice but to tough it out I know.

I woke up 4 days after surgery absolutely famished! The Protein Shakes really helped, versus the broth i was doing. I also made shakes with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and. Half a frozen banana. That density really helped! I still have those days, am just one month out ..

You know what I would like today- know I can't have it - Martin Luther King Weekend- no public transportation in my beknightened locale- collard or mustard greens in pot liquor, a little ham either real or Turkey to flavor it. Been on liquids and purees too long, my mind is "writing checks" my body and especially Precious Pouch refuse to cash. I'm still not quite as bad as my Brittle Diabetic friend Ellis. Told me one day " As soon as my sugar levels stabilise I'm gonna get a giant sundae with hot Fudge, whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry!" All I could think to retort was " And won't THAT do you a world of Good!" Blood sugar of 500-600 and THIS TIME you might not live through it!
Someday I Shall have my greens , a piece of corn bread 2 inches square, and I'll Keep it all down. You got to have a dream, if you don't got a dream, how ya gonna have a dream come true? That's Bloody Mary's song from South Pacific, in case anyone wants to know. I have so much music in my head that sometimes it bursts forth!🎼🎶

7 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

You know what I would like today- know I can't have it - Martin Luther King Weekend- no public transportation in my beknightened locale- collard or mustard greens in pot liquor, a little ham either real or Turkey to flavor it. Been on liquids and purees too long, my mind is "writing checks" my body and especially Precious Pouch refuse to cash. I'm still not quite as bad as my Brittle Diabetic friend Ellis. Told me one day " As soon as my sugar levels stabilise I'm gonna get a giant sundae with hot Fudge, whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry!" All I could think to retort was " And won't THAT do you a world of Good!" Blood sugar of 500-600 and THIS TIME you might not live through it!
Someday I Shall have my greens , a piece of corn bread 2 inches square, and I'll Keep it all down. You got to have a dream, if you don't got a dream, how ya gonna have a dream come true? That's Bloody Mary's song from South Pacific, in case anyone wants to know. I have so much music in my head that sometimes it bursts forth!🎼🎶

You are too funny! Always a great sense of humor in your replies :) I have to ask what is "pot liquor?"

The liquid part of the dish contents that it was cooked in. My Grampy would put it on his corn bread, to soften it up , one of his oddities but he lived into his 90s and that's pretty good. So maybe he knew something after all. And I inherited from him something I think is cool. He and I both can smell rain, I can tell you usually even how far away it is by the strength of the odor. Rather like the ozone smell from lightening but it's not quite the same. We had about 6 inches of snow overnight in my area of Ohio, my nose has finished its twitch now as it became clearer and cold outside. Yeah I smell that too but not the same intensity. If you don't have it , it is difficult to explain.
And I am almost a GRIT, girl raised in the South , due to the influence. of Kentuckuans, Virginians and one token West Virginian that married into my Mama's family. To this day, neither my late husband or any of my kids liked greens, will confess I don't like turnip ones, shoot I don't even like turnips themselves, especially since one evil church sister brought creamed turnips to the potluck dinner right among the scalloped potatoes that I do love. What a nasty shock that was, wanted to rescind the nice table Grace I had said! One of my BFF was a Preachers Kid, Told me after 3 praying over leftovers they are considered Sanctified and you don't have to pray over them anymore. Hey she might just have a point! Scalloped potaoes I would maybe stretch out that long but most leftovers after 2 warmings pffft, into the garbage when nobody's looking!🍛

Had my surgery on 1/10 and started full liquids on the 18th. The last couple of days I have also felt hungry. I’m a little concerned because I’m eating my 2 ounces of food and it doesn’t make me feel full. I’ve decided I’m not getting enough Water - so focusing on that. It’s tough but I’m powering through this. Can’t wait until the 30th when I can have mashed potatoes. Really hoping they make me feel full. I feel your pain.

I had surgery 12/20 and no one told me I would feel ravenous ! U get very hungry on liquids and purées because once the inflammation goes down the liquids go right through! U don’t feel the restriction of the sleeve until U start eating real food , fish , steamed vegetables and fruit . That said I still do one shake a day because I can’t eat enough to get all my Protein in . You will feel the restriction at a month plus .. no worries

On 1/21/2019 at 12:22 AM, Mindyd2006 said:

Had my surgery on 1/10 and started full liquids on the 18th. The last couple of days I have also felt hungry. I’m a little concerned because I’m eating my 2 ounces of food and it doesn’t make me feel full. I’ve decided I’m not getting enough Water - so focusing on that. It’s tough but I’m powering through this. Can’t wait until the 30th when I can have mashed potatoes. Really hoping they make me feel full. I feel your pain.

I'm eating 4 oz of pureed foods right now and I DON'T feel full on that! I was freaking out about it until I read other's comments regarding not feeling restriction until you get to solid foods. As far as water...I used to love it before surgery, drank lots of it everyday, but now I don't like the taste! How does that happen?!

On 1/21/2019 at 6:12 AM, Lolo 2020 said:

I had surgery 12/20 and no one told me I would feel ravenous ! U get very hungry on liquids and purées because once the inflammation goes down the liquids go right through! U don’t feel the restriction of the sleeve until U start eating real food , fish , steamed vegetables and fruit . That said I still do one shake a day because I can’t eat enough to get all my Protein in . You will feel the restriction at a month plus .. no worries

Thank you so much for your reply! That is a relief because I was thinking something didn't go right with my surgery :o

I'm now, unbelievably, 11 weeks post op! where did the time go? I'm a slow learner and a very slow loser! ha ha

But, I can confidently say that solid foods make such a difference! I was experiencing everything you have all said during the earlier days of post op. Now, as long as I have the right combination on my dinky little weeny plate, then by the time I've eaten the Protein bit I'm really too full to eat much more. So, I am having some of the veg/salad on the plate as well just so that I don't get completely bored with plain protein.

Still learning, and still very much in the 'OMG, I'm going to fail at this and do it all wrong'... I'm freaking out every damn time I eat something that isn't 'good'! I've become obsessed and guilt ridden because of my slow loss.

But, I keep having to remind myself that the scale is going down, I did have a band before revision to sleeve and I am freaking old! ha ha

It's a marathon not a sprint for me ... x

Edited by Alpaca55