Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I finally had my surgery on January 9th! Everything went very well, no complications...no nausea, no real pain other than the expected gas discomfort. Spent one night in the hospital and home the next day. Within a couple days time I started feeling anxious about what I just did to my body 😞 and could not stop thinking about food! I got to thinking that I'm never going to be able to eat my favorite meals again which caused me to get all worked up. I then started fearing that I'm going to be a failure at this 😢 I did 3 days of Clear Liquids post op and I am now on full liquids for 10 to 14 days. Please tell me these feelings are normal 😩

I'm 1 week post-op, so I totally understand where you're coming from. Instead of thinking of your surgery in a negative light, think of it positively—this surgery is a tool that will improve your quality of life! You can do this! I'm trying to think of this time as a reset with my relationship with food.

The time will pass and you'll be back to eating food. Also, some of the foods that you think you can't eat anymore, you will be able to! You may have to eat them in smaller portions or modify them to work better with your sleeve, but it's not the end of your favorite foods! This part of the journey is tough, but so are you—you'll get through this.

Thank you for your reply!...makes a lot of sense. I think I'm having these feelings due to being on liquids only...miserable...I so want something a little more solid in my belly 😁

You're welcome! Are you allowed to have sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles? I was allowed both while on Clear Liquids and they helped.

Yes! Liquids are just not satisfying :(

For me, the Jello made me full after a few bites—I can't finish a fourth of a jello cup. They help me feel like I'm eating food, instead of just constantly sip-sip-sipping.

kygirl - absolutely love your graphic icon! Hang in there - it WILL get better! Your feelings are totally understandable and normal.

Give your new tummy/stomach grace as it needs to heal from the trauma and all liquids is soothing and key internally. You are in the most daunting phases, no doubt. It was in those times I'd review my bullet list reasons for having surgery. And, when your eating phase does progress - cottage cheese never tasted better! ;]

Another hope and promise, at least for me, was to purchase two excellent, quality food bariatric cookbooks by Sarah Kent. I hated all the artificial tasting liquids from too sweet, bland or chalky. It gave a glimpse into favorite dishes edited for the new sleeve tummy. I have used her cookbooks through-out all phases which made things bearable. I am currently in week 5 of soft foods which I and my husband (fit and lean) are enjoying together. I am only able to eat ¼ cup at each meal, but again understanding the healing process of this vital organ while encouraging it to slowly regain its' function to digest + absorb solid foods for caloric health and well being.

kygirl, I have found that this surgery is not for the faint hearted. It requires much grace toward your body and a determined kind of patience. Ergo, be good to yourself and pace accordingly. Tomorrow and the future will indeed take care of itself. You can do this! It will get better...

8 minutes ago, Sophie7713 said:

kygirl - absolutely love your graphic icon! Hang in there - it WILL get better! Your feelings are totally understandable and normal.

Give your new tummy/stomach grace as it needs to heal from the trauma and all liquids is soothing and key internally. You are in the most daunting phases, no doubt. It was in those times I'd review my bullet list reasons for having surgery. And, when your eating phase does progress - cottage cheese never tasted better! ;]

Another hope and promise, at least for me, was to purchase two excellent, quality food bariatric cookbooks by Sarah Kent. I hated all the artificial tasting liquids from too sweet, bland or chalky. It gave a glimpse into favorite dishes edited for the new sleeve tummy. I have used her cookbooks through-out all phases which made things bearable. I am currently in week 5 of soft foods which I and my husband (fit and lean) are enjoying together. I am only able to eat ¼ cup at each meal, but again understanding the healing process of this vital organ while encouraging it to slowly regain its' function to digest + absorb solid foods for caloric health and well being.

kygirl, I have found that this surgery is not for the faint hearted. It requires much grace toward your body and a determined kind of patience. Ergo, be good to yourself and pace accordingly. Tomorrow and the future will indeed take care of itself. You can do this! It will get better...

Great suggestion on the cookbooks! Just bought both—can't wait for them to get here, gotta love Amazon Prime one-day shipping!

Edited by anonbaribabe
typo

COOL! Baribabe - you will LOVE these cookbooks!!! Well written, informative and nicely photographed. Not to mention, great recipes! My favorites thus far are the moist whole herbed roasted chicken; zoodles with turkey meatballs; baked fried chicken thighs (leftovers very versatile); seafood Cioppino and roasted root vegetables to name a few! After you've experimented, do let me know your favorites?! Here's to all us shrinking babes... "Hey good lookin' - whatca got cookin' - how bout cookin' something up for me!" Hank Williams, 1951 Fun! ;]

7 hours ago, anonbaribabe said:

You're welcome! Are you allowed to have sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles? I was allowed both while on Clear Liquids and they helped.

7 hours ago, anonbaribabe said:

Where do u get sugar free popsicle from

Yes, those are normal feelings. I was sleeved 5 weeks ago and on Day #1 post-op, with all the nausea, I was wondering if I had made a huge mistake. Then I was kicking myself thinking "If I only had more willpower, I could lose weight on my own without having surgery" - so yes, emotions and hormones kick in. If it helps any, I have been in no pain and no problems, no Constipation, no problems getting down liquids since discharged from the hospital and things get a little better each day. I lost 15 pounds and 15 inches in the first 3 weeks, but have stalled for two weeks, but it's just my body adjusting to the new me, so I'm trying not to worry.

COOL! Baribabe - you will LOVE these cookbooks!!! Well written, informative and nicely photographed. Not to mention, great recipes! My favorites thus far are the moist whole herbed roasted chicken; zoodles with turkey meatballs; baked fried chicken thighs (leftovers very versatile); seafood Cioppino and roasted root vegetables to name a few! After you've experimented, do let me know your favorites?! Here's to all us shrinking babes... "Hey good lookin' - whatca got cookin' - how bout cookin' something up for me!" Hank Williams, 1951 Fun! ;]

Can't wait to get them! I don't usually buy cookbooks, but I can tell that these will be more than worth it. I was actually surprised at how cheap they are! So excited to use them 🙂

7 minutes ago, Bari_KS said:

Yep, I get mine at Walmart but I'm feeling a little cheated because mine didn't have tropical flavors! Just cherry, orange, and grape.