Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four days post surgery, question on stomach gurgling

The surgery went well. It took only a half hour, I am told. No complications. Since December, I have lost 13.4 lbs and nearly 6 lbs this week. The nursing staff at my hospital was incredible, other than having to wait a long time at certain times of day. I was in for two nights because I had to learn how to give myself blood thinner injections due to increased risk of blood clots. Thank God, only for two weeks.

I will say though, that the side effects of the opioids they had me on were decidedly unpleasant. I am on no pain meds other than Tylenol at the present and have very little pain from the surgery. It is mostly my grumpy knees complaining all the time. Also getting used to having my stomach clench when I swallow something and get a gurgle each time. It is weird. And eating such small amounts. Now when I look at portion sizes for other people, my eyes bug out. I also cannot drink and eat at the same time, so I frequently use a timer to make sure I follow the rules. They are very serious about making sure you retain the proper nutrients and not have Water wash them away.
I see my surgeon for a follow up on Friday the 18th, and while he may clear me to return to work the following week, I am not mentally ready. I am going to take another full week to recuperate. I need this.
So, a quick question. Is it normal to feel your stomach clench at times when you swallow liquids or food? This happens often to me, and sometimes it feels like a cramp. I just wait and make sure everything is OK and I continue to ingest food or water slowly. Will this continue to occur all the time or does my new stomach eventually get used to things?

Hi Elizabeth, congrats on your surgery! Everything about your story sounds normal to me, from the stomach gurgles to needing more time off. Don’t feel guilty about the latter—we all heal at our own pace and work can wait! You are in the thick of getting to know your new stomach and it will become second nature to you soon. It will become less sore and inflamed and you will lesen what upsets it and how to calm it. Just be patient and hang in there!

My sleeved friend said her son poked fun at how her tummy sounds like a toilet flushing at times, She told him " Daily I am flushing my fat away" and smiled. LOL , got to 💖 her positive attitude!

Hi I to had gastric bypass on December 10th. Am doing well. I had a Hyatil hernia repaired at same time. My tummy gurgles often. My grandkids get a kick out of it. Kinda weird though. I have lost about 30 pounds but my tiny tummy doesn’t like a lot of things. Remember everyone is different. I am supposed to have an upper g.i. In the near future to check a little swallowing type issue. It is a big deal. I love my new life with my tiny tummy. There are foods at first glance make me say oh please can i have it. Then i do a self check think about it. Nope i am not really hungry nor do I truly want it. Ok I will pass on it. Congratulations on your new life. Welcome to the loser bench.

I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/11/18 and YES I feel clenching and get gurgling when I eat and drink. I'm assuming I'm eating too fast and getting too much air in.

I was sleeved March 2018 and my stomach still gurgles LOUDLY. It will scare my little lap dog when it really gets going. LOL You sound like you are dong terrific.