Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

I'm eating a lot as well. Last night I made chicken soft tacos, which has been a go-to for years. Super easy - I throw chicken breasts and a package of taco seasoning in a crock pot, then shred it up and put it in a bowl with veggies as a quick meal. I have 2 underweight kids and 1overweight kid so I put out all the 'fixins' out so that everyone can make their own, and low and behold I did end up eating a tortilla against my better judgement. I was expecting to eat 1/2 of the taco, and I basically demolished the whole thing. I'm concerned I'm going to start gaining again, so I'm really going to focus more on meal planning and tracking. I would DIE if I went through all of that just to gain it back. I'm 9 pounds from goal and STUCK.

My daughter has expressed an interest in losing some weight so that's helping me more than it's helping her. I've been getting up at 5:45 every day and making eggs, helping her develop meal plans and track her intake. She is extremely active so I'm thinking she will see results somewhat quickly if she sticks to plan.

I need more IDEAS for Snacks I can pack in her lunch and keep in the fridge. I've been using an old Weight Watchers snack trick that she loves; cut up apples with cinnamon, Truvia and nutmeg. Not low carb but a great substitute for a sweet snack and she LOVES them!

If you guys have any more ideas like that one, would you please share? Sherri I'm going to buy Pork rinds and hummus for myself, she won't eat that... but please let me know if you have other ideas. We've agreed on sliced bell peppers in lieu of the pork rinds for a "chip". And I guess I'll do sliced cucumbers with Maast-o-Khiar (basically taziki).

I need to keep healthy stuff on hand because not only can I EAT more, I'm also hungry like...ALL THE TIME. UUUGGGH

What is your Hair loss like? I typically look down on my shirt. Pick off one, maybe two, three hairs. Look down on my shirt. Pick off one hair. Repeat until bald

On 08/27/2019 at 10:29, Everythinganna said:

My daughter has expressed an interest in losing some weight so that's helping me more than it's helping her. I've been getting up at 5:45 every day and making eggs, helping her develop meal plans and track her intake. She is extremely active so I'm thinking she will see results somewhat quickly if she sticks to plan.

I need more IDEAS for Snacks I can pack in her lunch and keep in the fridge. I've been using an old Weight Watchers snack trick that she loves; cut up apples with cinnamon, Truvia and nutmeg. Not low carb but a great substitute for a sweet snack and she LOVES them!

If you guys have any more ideas like that one, would you please share? Sherri I'm going to buy Pork rinds and hummus for myself, she won't eat that... but please let me know if you have other ideas. We've agreed on sliced bell peppers in lieu of the Pork rinds for a "chip". And I guess I'll do sliced cucumbers with Maast-o-Khiar (basically taziki).

I need to keep healthy stuff on hand because not only can I EAT more, I'm also hungry like...ALL THE TIME. UUUGGGH

Okay so Anna, I’ve seen your recent pics and it’s possible that instead of having 9 pounds til goal, you’re already there.
Not saying you should quit, but just saying please don’t beat yourself up if that 9 pounds takes a while. You’ve lost so much excess fat and that coupled with the fact that you were just at 35% BMI on surgery day that it’s gonna be a struggle.

My college graduation weight was 132. I was 5’7”, in great shape and was upset because I’d gained 7 pounds from my all-time low from a year before.
Looking back I was pretty darned skinny and I felt fat. SMH.
My goal will be to end up somewhere in the 145-155 range. Of course I’d feel better about it if I live at the lower end of that range, but since I’m still in the upper 160’s now I honestly have no clue if that’s achievable and/or sustainable.
One thing for sure though is that ever getting back to 132 just isn’t realistic and I’d just be setting myself up for a lot of mental angst to even try.

Re Snacks for your daughter:
Mostly that depends on her personal tastes.
I’m completely a savory freak. One reason this program is working so well for me is that I love meat and dairy and cheese.
My snacks are p3 packs, beef Jerky, cheese sticks, a handful of olives and feta cheese, cottage cheese and pumpkin seeds, hummus and pork rinds with veggies, etc...

If I have something sweet it turns my hunger into overdrive and I start craving things I don’t need and it takes half the day to get it back under control.

Therefore I don’t even dare have things like flavored yogurt or Protein Shakes or fruit. Don’t even get me started on wine and other alcohol. Sadly those things also turn on my hunger.

On 08/27/2019 at 11:49, Everythinganna said:

What is your Hair loss like? I typically look down on my shirt. Pick off one, maybe two, three hairs. Look down on my shirt. Pick off one hair. Repeat until bald

Yeah.
I’m shedding worse than my cats.
Fingers crossed that means I’m still in losing mode.

10 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

If you guys have any more ideas like that one, would you please share? Sherri I'm going to buy Pork rinds and hummus for myself, she won't eat that... but please let me know if you have other ideas. We've agreed on sliced bell peppers in lieu of the Pork rinds for a "chip". And I guess I'll do sliced cucumbers with Maast-o-Khiar (basically taziki).

Here are some of my go-to Snacks that I bring to work: string cheese rolled inside a slice of ham, avocado toast pack (from Target), cheese cubes and almonds, and pimento and cheese dip (not low fat, but has protein) with tortillas (need to find a lower carb option but I do like chips and cheese). I am finding, like some of you, that I am not losing weight anymore. I am eating more and I am afraid all of my desires for sweets and salty snacks are coming back full swing. I am wondering how common this is. This is truly the end of the honeymoon phase. Are any of you still losing at a fast rate (and by that I mean 3 to 5 pounds per week)?

1 hour ago, Sheribear68 said:

Yeah.
I’m shedding worse than my cats.
Fingers crossed that means I’m still in losing mode.

Agreed! My German Shepherd is blowing her coat. She doesn't mind at all of course, but in addition to picking up her fur, I'm picking hair out of my shower, sink, everywhere. I don't have any bald Patches, but my hair is super dry and thinner by the day. I just ordered the Boldify Shampoo, conditioner, and serum from Amazon. I hope it helps!

Edited by Gottajustdoit

9 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

It was terrible and sudden in June at the 4 month mark. I try to go 2 days sometime s 3 between washes and I am super gentle. I spray an oil on it and use a wide tooth comb. I don't dry it hard with a towel, I comb it form the ends up to not snag a knot. The shower drain had a clump every time and I still pulled off a lot from the comb each day. Now it is not a huge clump in the drain but still a lot in the comb. I also will see one hair hanging and when I touch it more come out with it. I noticed I have terrible roots and it is baby hairs that are almost an inch long so even thought I am losing a lot there is hope that some is growing back already.

12 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

I lost at least half my hair during months 4 and 5. Loss has stopped, but regrowth has not started yet. Fortunately, I had a pretty thick head of hair to start with. I am happy there is no more dark wad in the shower drain, and I know the regrowth will happen when it happens. Still take my Biotin to assist any doubtful follicles.

Hey everyone, I posted recently, but am always keeping track of the conversation and topics. So I kinda hit a stall and was discouraged, and on top off that I found out I had gallstones. Didn't even make it the scheduled MD appointmentto discuss treatment. I ended up in ER this weekend and had to have gallbladder surgically removed. Has anyone else had the gallbladder removed, and if so how was it afterwards? Could that have caused my 3 week stall prior? I am still tracking food and exercise, and based on that I should be losing weight. I try not to focus on that to much, but it is hard. Well I did just have a NSV, I was able to wear XLG scrubs..[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

If I have something sweet it turns my hunger into overdrive and I start craving things I don’t need and it takes half the day to get it back under control. 

Uuugghh. I think this is what I did to her with those cinnamon apples! She was doing so good and then I walked in her room this morning and found this bag almost completely eaten. I asked her and she told me she just got it yesterday. There are 1500 cal in this bag so I’m estimating she ate 1200 cal of candy yesterday. She got really really angry with me and accused me of lying to her about a Multivitamin that I bought ( she accuse me of slipping her a diet pill, which I would NEVER do). I just don’t want her to go through what I did my entire adult life. It is such a sensitive topic.... teenagers!!

F961D3F5-0C25-4960-B063-006A37CA9450.jpeg

Edited by Everythinganna

11 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Agreed! My German Shepherd is blowing her coat. She doesn't mind at all of course, but in addition to picking up her fur, I'm picking hair out of my shower, sink, everywhere. I don't have any bald Patches, but my hair is super dry and thinner by the day. I just ordered the Boldify Shampoo, conditioner, and serum from Amazon. I hope it helps!

Let us know if that helps. My friend with Crohn’s disease has lost a LOT more hair than me so far And she went to the dermatologist. They gave her a prescription Shampoo. Right now I am just covering the areas with colored powder or Spray if I could get it to stop falling out that would be much better

Darned if you DO, darned if you DON'T- every adolescent should come with a barometer in the middle of their forehead so YOU know how to address THEM!

8 hours ago, sjemle said:

Hey everyone, I posted recently, but am always keeping track of the conversation and topics. So I kinda hit a stall and was discouraged, and on top off that I found out I had gallstones. Didn't even make it the scheduled MD appointmentto discuss treatment. I ended up in ER this weekend and had to have gallbladder surgically removed. Has anyone else had the gallbladder removed, and if so how was it afterwards? Could that have caused my 3 week stall prior? I am still tracking food and exercise, and based on that I should be losing weight. I try not to focus on that to much, but it is hard. Well I did just have a NSV, I was able to wear XLG scrubs..

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I don’t know when you had your weight-loss surgery but I’m going to assume February? You sound like the rest of us. It sounds like we are all in a stall or weight loss had slowed dramatically.

I had my gallbladder out via emergency surgery just like you did but I had it done two years ago prior to weight-loss surgery. I lost 7 pounds during this because they had me hospitalized for over a week. I had some kind of complications and I was NPO for seven days. Nothing but ice chips and IVs. I came out the hospital feeling pretty slim! Everyone reacts differently. Most of my friends who had the surgery were in and out in a day. I situation was different. It actually made me gain weight afterwards because I have been experiencing a lot of nausea prior to the gallbladder removal.

6 minutes ago, Everythinganna said:

Uuugghh. I think this is what I did to her with those cinnamon apples! She was doing so good and then I walked in her room this morning and found this bag almost completely eaten. I asked her and she told me she just got it yesterday. There are 1500 cal in this bag so I’m estimating she ate 1200 cal of candy yesterday. She got really really angry with me and accused me of lying to her about a multivitamin that I bought ( she accuse me of slipping her a diet pill, which I would NEVER do). I just don’t want her to go through what I did my entire adult life. It is such a sensitive topic.... teenagers!!

F961D3F5-0C25-4960-B063-006A37CA9450.jpeg

To me, the danger of this situation and her weight is the hiding of foods. When I was growing up, my step-father forbade us to have any sweets in the house. This, along with a lot of childhood trauma, set up a pattern of craving and hiding sweets. The high that the sweets would give me was amazing. My sister, who I shared a room with, actually started to hide sweets in a shoe box under her bed. She ended up with the opposite problem to me... very underweight. (She's definitely different genetically to me though... totally different build etc).

I am very aware of this with my daughter - who has autism and is 10 - and so I am really trying to not freak out about her eating sweets. I am not forbidding it, I let her choose when she has some (within reason). I am teaching her to stop eating when she is full. So far so good... she is on the bigger side of her weight, but I put that down to puberty, autism and genetics. I don't know the solution for you, but I would caution you about making things off limits. It led to a lot of bingeing for me.