Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only few days in.....

Well I wanted quick healing and to get on with life. Oh I was going to exercise, eat a proper bariatric diet, NoBody told me I would have a PICC LINE in my upper left arm, be fed 14 out of 24 hours 7 days a week TPN and no scheduled termination. Maybe the end of January, maybe into February? March will be my Six month Surgiversity, surely not THAT LONG? Mind you I will retain it as long as Drs Needleman and Noria say so, but this was not the "paint by number masterpiece" I was planning all along. I wanted to go to Kings Island and Cedar Point in 2019, maybe the Ohio Statehouse, do I show up with my backpack , battery pump and bag of feeding Fluid. I'll be right there with the people on oxygen and tubes in their moses, and when they finally remove it, will I have a permanent scar on my upper left arm? Not really That Vain but people might think I had skin cancer or they removed a small tattoo on there. But it is what it is, and although the Good Times aren't Rolling maybe they are Still Ahead?

September 5th, 2018 at 7 Am EDT. I believe I started having stricture symptoms at 2 weeks, I was either ignored or poo-pooed, Oh you're just swollen, give yourself a chance to heal, you have had major surgery, You can trust us, we have your best interests at ❤, we know more about recoveries than YOU do et cetera et cetera. Finally at a full month out, largely to shut me up, they scheduled a upper endoscopy with Dr Noria, my surgeon's partner who LOVES doing endoscopies, yep she Really Does! And who was right? ME ME ME! Those nurses might have had the fancee shamancee degrees but I have lived in this body a Long Time, I Knew something was not adding up right. She started me on ulcer medicine, told me to stay on this full liquid diet until SHE told me I could move on , normally she and her partner Dr Needleman progress bypass patients to Stage 3, puree and some finely chopped if they can handle it at 2 weeks out. a Well since my pouch , I call her Precious Pouch for many reasons , had stenosed, that with the ulcers made me an atypical patient. Stenosis means the normal opening that had been made between my pouch and small intestine had swelled and narrowed until only liquids could pass through. And that at a slow rate of speed, I had and still have 2 ulcerations within the pouch and multiple ulcerstions on the back wall of the jejunem, the portion of the small intestine the pouch drains into. Was scoped October 12th,26th, November 9th, 28th. At that point I was hospitalized. because nothing in there was showing any signs of healing. The end of October she asked if I smoked, nope never, neither does my son, so I cannot be in the presence of an active smoker or one with smoke on their clothes. I have on a jelly wristband that states Secondhand Smoke Kills" because in my case it could!
On the morning of the 29th, after a discussion. that I was Protein deficient from my limited diet, could not ingest the 90-120 grams. of protein needed for tissue repair, could still measure my food intake in Tablespoons instead of Ounces, I would need to go on Total Parenteral Nutrition or commonly TPN and a PICC LINE would be installed in my upper left arm that afternoon so I could receive sufficent protein and also for Life Sustainment. I was pretty malnourished at that point although I had been trying my level best. And much as I hate to admit it I did start to feel more like the Former Frustr8 within a day or 2. Still stayed for a week before my dismissal, had to regulate me , I was been fed 12,on , 12 off in the hospital, those were electric pumps, at home my pump is battery- powered so 14 on, 10 off, didn't like it much at first, I can be a prideful red-headed person, like to think I can do everything for myself, hard to accept help. I now know before the 1960s, I would possibly had a nasogastric tube or slowly starved to death, unless my ulcers perforated or my 73 year old tomorrow ❤ stopped beating. Your own mortality is a fearsome thing to contemplate.
So whatever must be, must be. And not much use to cry, it turns your 👀 red, your nose runs and not many people give a Good Gol--durn in the first place. Maybe when I get to Heaven God will let me sit on His Lap, I ache to cuddle someone and be told Everything Will Be Okay💦😪💦

T Y Bebeak!

@Frustr8 I believe the very best place for your stories are on your own threads and not everyone else's. That way other people's questions/concerns/issues/problems aren't overshadowed.

You can make a post and update it with the latest information and more people will be aware of your story much better that way.

Please consider this ❤

Edited by GreenTealael

T Y Green Tealael, you just may be right.

Well if you try to eat real foods your body will stop you real quick. So hang in there it gets better.

I had bypass and for the first week or more I was SO hungry I literally couldn’t sleep at night, absolutely miserable and even cried. I’m now on soft foods and still have hunger, but nothing like that first week. Praying solid foods feel me up, otherwise my surgery was in vain. The main reason I had surgery was because of the constant hunger I suffered from.

35 minutes ago, Bebeak said:

Well@nursenays, I am right there with you. I am going through the exact thing, and I've been wondering if my surgery was a mistake, since it's not helping with my hunger issues. When did you have your surgery?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

December 3 and my first post op visit I told my nutritionist the surgery was not performed correctly my hunger is so out of control. I’ve read many people say that once they’ve transitioned to solids they feel the restriction. I can chug my fluids with no issue also. I am able to eat regular foods in one week and am anxious to see! Pain and Constipation have been rough as well. Best of luck to you 👍🏼😁

I had mine on the 20th and it was 4 days in when it hit and now mentally I crave so much but I personally know it's not reflux because I had reflux before surgery so I know my reflux issues. So many people talked about not having hunger after surgery but mine woke me up in the middle of the night and was like "Hey you, what are you doing? Eat something!"

Day 4 my body woke up and did the same thing ! Scared me to death ! But I was only drinking broth and Water to that point and it was like, eat something real ! Once I started drinking the shakes and getting some Protein in my body that extreme hunger went away .