Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Upstate NY

hnladue - thanks for asking, I'm doing pretty well, i'm just really nervous that the insurance won't come through; that's what I keep dreaming about. I go in on Monday up to the hospital for my ultrasound and then i go up to the 4th floor to meet with Dr. Trus to schedule my surgery. Which means nothing until I find out from my insurance. I'm just frustrated right now because there is nothing I can do now except wait. I'll have to ask if my doc requires an upper GI.

I have to go to 6 mos of nutrition (preferred care requirement:thumbdown:) and my first app. for that is april 15th. I can't go sooner because i'm required after taht first appointment to go to weekly group meetings :confused2: for i think 8 weeks...well those are only on wednesday evenings and I teach colorguard on those evenings...but only for 3 more weeeks....then I start!

My appointment with Dr D is May 28! That was the first available. however I'm waiting for a call to hear that they pushed it up sooner (maybe someone else's cancellation?)...keeping my fingers crossed...i'm so excited! lol

Tangerine...how did it go today meeting w/the surgeon and having the ultrasound??

Barbie

It went well relatively speaking, but the doctor mentioned that he felt that gastric bypass RNY would be a better option for me, and that left me feeling very confused. Now I am researching the heck out of that and trying to get feedback here also. I feel like I did when I was pregnant for my first son and did all the research and reading on lamaze and labor and then find out I need a c-section. UGHH. I don't know what to do. And the farther I delve into this even the lapband is starting to scare me now because of the unknown long term effects of having a foreign object wrapped around your stomach. I am only 5' 1" so these 225 lbs are a lot on my frame. I can't go on like this for much longer. Any feedback would be great.

I foreign object like the band can't be any different then a pacemaker, hip replacement, knee replacement, plate in your head!!!! At least the band is removeable when most of the others I mentioned are not.

Hi Gilta I had the lapband done January 4,08 at Rochester General hospital my doctor was Dr. Anthony Dibenedetto. He was absolutely wonderful. Same for his staff, everything went very smooth for me. So if all else you can always look into him. Good luck to you!!!

Hi Barbie1978 I just had the lapband done January4,08 at Rochester General Hospital. My Doctor also was Dr. DiBenedetto. He is absolutely wonderful and you will love himand his staff. I was 221lbs and I now weigh 180lbs and I have only had one fill and that was 2/27/08. My band has 2.5cc in it. Good Luck to you keep us posted,you will be very ahppy with him.

Traci,

How was your surgery?? I got to met w.Theresa (Dr.D. Wife) yesterday for the nutrition part. She said they place a catheder in?? WTF!!! NNNooooooooo!!! How was your stay in the hosptial? Also Theresa said that there is no gas issue afterwards because the 'drain' the gas out. Is this true? Did you have any gas pains?

Thanks for the help!

--Heather.

Tang--> are you pre-diabetic? I know my PCP told me that she was absolutely behind the Lap-band, but that she would recommend gastric bypass if my sugar levels were too high...research it but feel free to ask me any questions...my mom had gastric bypass a few years ago and she's doing AMAZING! So tiny now...and just so much healthier! I feel your pain though...i'm technically 5' 1.75" and about 25 pounds more than you....so i totally understand...What insurance do you have? And how was that first fill? How exactly did he do it and did it hurt?

Heather--> not suprised by the catheder....but i'm going to request that they put it in when i'm OUT...i dont' need to be awake for that, thank you very much! lol See if they'll do that for you too....he did tell us at the seminar that he loved to fill us with air to check to make sure he has no leaks (or rather that WE have no leaks) and then gets it all out so that's good i guess?

Here is Traci's reqsponce to my question. She put it in a totally different thread for some reason, so I'm coping here so the rest of you can read it.

"HI hnladue I am responding to the couple of questions you had for me. The first was yes I had a catheder but they did it while I was sleeping.It did not hurt when they took it out which was a few hours later because I was up out of bed around 5:30-6:00 that night. I did not have any gas or gas pains. The pain really was minimal it is very hard to explain, my stomach did feel very weird and sick feeling. It felt like it was attacking itself. at times I would think i was hungry but not really and other times i'd think i wanted something to drink but i didnt want thst either. The first week was hard i will be completely honest with you but after that i felt very good and was up and around. If i had to do it all over agin i'd do it in a heartbeat. Dr. DiBenedetto is great and has a wonderful bedside manner. Good luck to you keep me posted!!!!!!!!!! you will be glad you chose this for yourself."

Had my first appt w/Dr D at RGH on March 19th. Has anyone had the Lap band approval through Preferred Care? I can't figure out why they are the only ones that require the nutritional counseling. I have started toward the mandatory 20lb loss that Dr D requires. Now on to the sleep clinic and the psyc eval. Has anyone done the psyc eval yet? What are they looking for? Looking for others to talk to about this process. Thanks.:)

Hey Amy...i am just starting as well but I also have Preferred Care. Have you started the Beyond Diets Program yet?? My appointment w/ Dr D is on May 28th (but i'm hoping to get in sooner)...how was your meeting wtih him? How long was it? It's nice to have someone on here who also has Preferred Care!

The nutritional is no big deal, neither is the psyc eval. They are just looking to see how you are mentally. If you can handle the upcoming changes, if you are bulemic or such, other addictions.... just be honest. BCBS requires all those too. Also a 5% weight loss, so get going on that!!! I bet Preferred Care requires it too.

We all strong girls and I'll stand by any of you that need help!!!

Tang-any decision yet???

Traci-thanks again for answering my questions!! Helps to know what's ahead.

I go tomorrow for pre-surgery testing. Blood test, ekg, chest xray.

2 weeks to go and I'm excited!

Well, I've actually been afraid to post my decision becuase I think I'm going to go the RNY route. No offense to anyone on this site, but I just think it is the best way for me. My husband even said that he knows me so well and just knowing that it is reversible is sounding more like I am "trying it out" not making a lifetime committment and he is right. Everyone has their own reasons for their surgery and i hope no one boots me off here yet, I still haven't set anything in stone and still think that we all struggle with our food issues and that you all offer a lot even to someone who isn't having any surgery. Just the insights and support here are so genuine.

Thanks.