Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Upstate NY

well here's to hoping that your appeal is approved! :w00t:

Got the wierdest letter from Excellus friday.... Said they received the appeal and have reversed their determination. They are open for any requests for authorization or claims..... Eh??? Does that mean I'm approved?? I called Dr D. office and they are checking.... today could be a good day!

got the callback already. ..... that IS the approval!! Think they could find a better way to word it??? Gheesh!

I go in Wednesday to get my date. Yippee!!

Gilta, and other Rochestarians, I just finished my last nutritional appointment today. My surgery will take place at Highland, but my surgeon is Dr. Thaddeus Trus, he is from Baltimore but recently moved here as part of the Bariatric team. I am hoping that I will be banded sometime in April. Please keep in touch as we are all kind of getting banded around the same time in the same area and we can be of great support to one another. I have Cigna, what insurances do you all have?

hnlaude--> CONGRATS!!!! I'm so happy for you! Let us know when your surgery date is!

Tangerine4 --> congrats on moving forward! I go to my seminar on 3/13 and I will be seeing Dr. DiBenadetto. He just moved here and took over for Dr. Galvin at RGH. My PCP had really great things to say about him...she also thinks I'm a perfect candidate for the Lap-Band system! I'm really excited! Let us know when you get your surgery date as well!

And the date is:-----> April 7th!! Barbie you will love Dr D!!

I have to go to a few other appts first... Need my pcp pre-op approval, ekg and chest scan, more blood work, meeting with Theresa (Dr D wife) for nutrition guidelines. They also asked I lose 5 more pounds. They require a 20 pound loss before surgery. No biggie! For 5 days b4 surgery I'm on liquids only (Atkins or slimfast)-That won't be fun but I'll do it!!

T and B keep me informed how you are doing!! I'll be off for 3 weeks after surgery.

--Heather.

I am going to be seeing the surgeon on March the 18th to schedule my surgery, but I don't understand how I can schedule the date when I haven't been officially approved by my insurance yet. Anyone else in Upstate have CIGNA? I did end up having sleep apnea so that should help my case seeing as I have no other comorbidities. That was something I was worried about.

Keep us posted on your surgery.

Congrats on your Approval hnladue!

Tangerine4- I don't have Cigna but was informed by office staff @ HH that part of the approval process for surgery involves scheduling a surgery date, meaning, once you have completed all of the phases of the program & finally see the doc. on March 18th they will set up your surgery date & submit all your paperwork to your insurance carrier. I am guessing that they get authorization or approval not only for the surgery, but for the day of surgery. I used to work as a medical biller for a number of years (not in the Bariatrics field), and this seemed to be a common practice for some procedures/tests, etc. That is my best guess!

Good luck to everyone!

My surgery is scheduled for March 31st - (insurance contingent), so I am def. excited! :thumbup:

Heather..you're going to be at RGH?

Heather..you're going to be at RGH?

Yup. RGH. Date has been moved to April 8th. So far I like them. When I went in for the upper GI, I had 3 nurses!! Better then Highland. My dad had 1 nurse to 21 patients.

I'm getting nervous hearing negative things about Highland and am very glad that I only have to stay over one night. When I had my son I was supposed to stay for 5 and demanded an early discharge after 3. I was hoping things had changed. Has anyone here actually had their lap band procedure done at Highland? or their fills?

i've seen people on here mention having it at Highland....we've always had great care at RGH. My parents have been in there a lot in the past (unfortunately), and the care was always always great. And the team for my mom's gastric bypass were all amazing!

I'm interested to talk to someone who's had the surgery done with Preferred Care for insurance...know anyone?

OMG:tt1: I LOOOOOOOVE Dr. DiBenedetto!!!! The seminar was great tonight...any questions were answered and he is just great. As soon as I saw him I started crying...because I instantly could see me about to go in for surgery and him standing next to me in his scrubs, smiling, and asking if I'm ready. I mean I literally could SEE it....he's seems like a great doctor and I'm even more excited now!

Ok, now for the upper GI...he said he completely puts you out (thankfully..i was nervous when he said everyone had to have it done), AND after the lap band surgery he keeps you in the hospital for 2 days as opposed to going home right away as I've read from so many people on here (i like that idea too). He brought up Preferred Care (my insurance) and first laughed and said "oh boy, good luck"...but then put us at ease and said that they just require more and that he WILL get us approved. They do require the 6 mo diet, however, he said that with all the other tests and having to lose 20 pounds it should take 4-5 months anyway...so i'll be right there with everyone else.

He told us all not to call his office for an appointment until Monday morning at least (they're overloaded) but when my mom talked to him he told her to call the office tomorrow. She had GB 3 years ago but since Dr. Galvin left she hasn't been back for a follow-up and he freaked. He's also really good friends with my PCP so yay for that too!

Sorry if i'm rambling but I just feel like the ball is FINALLY rolling and I just can't describe how excited i am! I'll keep everyone posted...

Does anyone else have any new info?

Barbie.... Isn't Dr D A hoot!! I love him!!

The upper GI was no big deal!! No soreness, nothing!! Was in and out before I even knew it and the nurses there were wonderful!! (also the anesth. was cute!)

Dr D made a special visit to my PCP so he could get to know her. She liked him.

I have an appt with Theresa (Dr D. wife!) next thurs for the nutrition info. Then wed after that more blood tests and EKG. monday after that see my PCP for surgery clearence and a week on liquids!! Can't come quick enough! He's told me 3 weeks off because I lift stuff ('puters).

Dr D really got the ball rolling. Seems like Dr Galvin just sat on things and didn't want to do my surgery.

Lose your 20 pounds!! Get going!! The more you lose the better. I have 5 to go! Let me know if you have any questions!!

Tangerine-How are ya??