Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Upstate NY

barbie,

I started in July 2007 and was in surgery Feb. 5, 2008. Many people in the program I'm in have the surgery within a few months - it depends upon their initial medical status. They have a fast track program for people with few medical problems. That may take only 6 weeks.

Hope this helps,

Molly A.

Molly, you just made my day! I've kind of heard something like this, but to know that it doesn't ALWAYS take over a year makes me feel much better. I more than qualify with my weight and BMI, but I have no other health problems except that my joints are starting to hurt from all the excess weight....

How are you feeling since you're out of surgery for a few weeks now? And did your doctor give you a band that was unfilled just after surgery or did he/she fill it slightly during the surgery?

I hope to be much less than a year when I am done. I went to the information meeting in December and hope to have my surgery before July 1. I was slow in making my appointment for the first nutrution meeting so I did not make the January cut off. I lost a month there. I have my nutrition meeting Feb 28(next week!), then 2nd March 25th, the final on April 22nd. They told me they then refer me to the MD within 2-3 weeks after that last appointment. They said that within 2 weeks of meeting the MD I will have my surgery date.

I also think it depends on your insurance. Mine did not require the 6 months with the nutrition, just the 6 year confirmation of weight loss attempts.

good luck

Gilta, are you just in upstate NY or are you in Rochester? And what insurance do you haev (if you don't mind my asking) because I know that not all of them require the 6 month WLP....

Also, should I look into the first nutrition meeting before I go to the seminar or after? And can you go to those meetings before your insurance approves the surgery?

Barbie

I have BCBS.

Why don't you email me directly and we can chat. gilta22@aol.com

Gilta

I have BCBS also and they did require a YR of phy. assisted weight loss effort. So maybe it's the plan that your employer picks that determines what your requirements are??

i've heard that BCBS is really tough on people trying to get any bariactric surgery...they really want a lot of testing and proof...glad you're both approved! Gilta, i will e-mail you...sometime i'm a little slow on that but I definately will! Thanks!

Molly, you just made my day! I've kind of heard something like this, but to know that it doesn't ALWAYS take over a year makes me feel much better. I more than qualify with my weight and BMI, but I have no other health problems except that my joints are starting to hurt from all the excess weight....

How are you feeling since you're out of surgery for a few weeks now? And did your doctor give you a band that was unfilled just after surgery or did he/she fill it slightly during the surgery?

I'm feeling fine - a few ups and downs - but I'm still glad I did it. The "downs" involve gas pain and diarrhea. That will eventually resolve, Thank God. The incisions are healed, I'm up and around and eating soft foods. I saw my doctor today, he's pleased with my progress. I won't have a fill until 6 weeks after my surgery which is a few more weeks.

I went to the Bariatric Program at Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital and Healthcare in Cooperstown. Drs. Heneghan and Weiss do the surgery there. The hospital is starting a research study of lung function Pre- and Post-lap band for patients. The Hospital is looking for volunteers. I'm going to do a new post regarding that for people who have problems with their insurance companines.

Where are you going for your surgery? Don't get discouraged; as they say at Bassett all the time - its a marathon, not a spint.

Have a good day,

Molly A.

The progam I attended is asking for volunteers for a study of lung function pre- and post lap banding. The study subjects will be paid. This may be a way for individuals that do not have insurance to have the procedure. I don't know if they will cover the cost of surgery - I doubt that but if interested; you should check.

The hospital is Mary Imogene Bassett HealthCare in Cooperstown, NY. They are associated with Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Ask for the Bariatric Surgery Department.

I am happy with my experience at Bassett. This may be an option for those who have had problems with insurance coverage - just a thought.

I will be at Rochester General Hospital...with Dr. DiBenadetto. He just took over for Dr. Galvin as head of Bariactric Surgery. My seminar is on 3/13 and I just can't wait! My mom wants to go with me to the seminar..she had CB a few years ago and her life is just completely different...

I was told from the MD office, that since I have more than 4 years of documented weightloss attempts I would be approved. I have been very involved with my MD and she has had records in my chart.

Maybe that is why they approved it so quickly.

Gilta

heard anything about when your surgery date is?

I went to the nutritional meeting yesterday. I have 2 more to go to and then should be released to meet with the MD and get my surgery date. They told me with the schedule I am on, it should be end of May/early June.

Why don't you email me directly gilta22@aol.com and we can keep in touch that way.

I just received a letter from BSBC saying they received my appeal and are reviewing it (mind you they were faxed the forms 3 weeks ago) and they will have an answer in 30 days..... WTF.... they sure know how to drag their feet!! Must be they will give the final approval because denials happen a lot quicker!!