Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EGS to Gastric sleeve

No nausea and vomiting. Just very fatigued but as I am following a low carb 800 calorie diet under dr supervision, the tiredness may be because of lack of calories! I am on 1.8 mg, due to go to 2.4 in 3 days time. This may be the dose I stay on. It definitely takes the edge off hunger and makes you quite disinterested in food. No sweet cravings at all. Could happily eat just 1 healthy meal a day at this point. And plenty of coffee of course.

Update.
Have now finished 3 weeks on sax and have lost 8.4kg since 1st jan (two weeks on Keto pre sax). I have just gone up to 2.4mg and hope to stay at this dose potentially but we will see. Sticking to about 800 cal, low carb high Protein. Appetite is greatly reduced. I definitely fell tired and lacking energy but hope that will reduce once I am on my ongoing dose. Very happy overall and hoping that this keeps working. I have lost as much in a month on this that I did initially over 2 months with my esg. Mel x

Now 9.6 kg lost. The sideffects of

I will try that again lol. Down 9.6kg. The side effects of sax have been a little rough but sticking to 800 cal has been achievable. I’m happy to feel average for a few months if it means the weight continues to come off. The plan is to increase to 1200 cal a day low carb and have maintenance dose of sax for up to 2 years once I am at an acceptable and sustainable weight.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, Melesg said:

I will try that again lol. Down 9.6kg. The side effects of sax have been a little rough but sticking to 800 cal has been achievable. I’m happy to feel average for a few months if it means the weight continues to come off. The plan is to increase to 1200 cal a day low carb and have maintenance dose of sax for up to 2 years once I am at an acceptable and sustainable weight.

Well done on the weight loss. That's a good long term plan.

Quick update. Now at 11kg down and am lower than my lowest esg weight. Side effects of saxenda have past but feeling some hunger for the first time in 2 months. Able to exercise regularly now so it’s time to keep losing. 8kg to go until I reach the goal my dr has suggested . Glad to have found this option. 😊

Hi all, still on the saxenda. Now have lost 14.5kg. Am seeing surgeon in 2 days just for future advice on weight loss surgery options after esg as I no longer need it now. Didn’t want to cancel appt as it has taken a long time to get one and I want a plan incase I regain. Will let you know his opinion.

Well done for perservering, you've done really well. Looking forward to your next post.

Dr v has a video about new surgical procedures and that was one he’s said to avoid the egs, you should watch it.

Had my consult with the bariatric surgeon. He said that sleeve or bypass are both possible after esg. Sleeve would depend on the anatomy of the stomach and could only be done if the stomach had dilated or stretched a lot since esg. He did also add that if the esg did not work for me then a sleeve may also not be as effective. The only way to see what would be best is to do a gastroscope and decide after this. He did say that as this is considered revision surgery, a leak from a sleeve or bypass would be higher risk and that his preference is most likely a bypass but would wait until after a scope to further discuss this with me and decide.
As for now, I have lost 15kg in 2019. Hoping not to need surgery but glad to have a plan to move forward if I do.
Mel xx

Thanks for update.

Good to know you have a back up should you need it. 15 kilos in less than four months is wonderful, you must be feeling absolutely wonderful and healthy with that weight off.

Thank you, I am. Saxenda plus topamax has really changed my appetite so weight loss has been much easier. I hope it stays this way!

Hi, (sorry for my english)..6 years ago I had the sleeve , I lost 20 kgs. (I wasn't very overweight, but I wanted to be thin). I kept my weight for 3-4 years, until I had to stop making excersice ( I ran marathons,ironmans, play tennis, etc), because an injury on my neck. So the last year I regain half of the weight I lost at the begining of my sleeve. To make it short I went to the doctor, he said I didn't need to lose weight but if I really wanted he would make my stomach as small as the first time (it is called "la remanga"). "the sleeve again".. It was a total disaster, whatever I eat I vomit it, even the Water I drank I couldn't keep it in my stomach. So the doctor had to make me an emergency bypass in January (6 days after "la remanga"). So I had 2 operations. I lost 10 kgs. I am very thin again, but it was really scary and its been difficult in many ways. Between the sleeve and the bypass, I would choose the sleeve by far (for many reasons). Hopefully my experience can help you in some way.

So I have finally hit my goal!! Total of 28kg lost over 2 years with the combination of esg and saxenda. Definitely needed the saxenda as I feel the appetite suppression is key for me. I am now beginning maintenance and will stay on saxenda for months at least, at a reducing dose. Wish me luck. Mel

I'm glad to see this post. I had a wonderful VSG Dec, 2013. I lost ~ 90 pounds, from 272-180; down to a size 10, feeling great, hot and sexy. Self-confident. Alas, in the past 2 years, I fell off the Protein wagon and gained 25 pounds. I'm so mad at myself. The carb cravings...grr!

I wanted a re-do VSG, but am told there may be leaks, etc. So the doctor--my friend and colleague--mentioned the ESG...but I don't want that.

Fortunately, with the help of an anorexic I just started (in small, half-doses), I've been a good girl this weekend. It's a start. I just need help to break my grazing, and grabbing carbs.

So I think I will not do the ESG. But I'm glad to see the pros and cons of some who've had it. I guess that, no matter what procedure we have, the battle is somewhat inherent to potentially regain.

Oh...as an aside...I will say that CAULIFLOWER RICE has been helpful. I love regular rice, but I'm able to psych out my brain when I eat cauliflower rice. (I add/chop up sweet mini peppers, onions and scallions to it, with blackening seasoning.) I hardly realize it's not real rice.