Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thighs and Arms



Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Kris77 said:

What is the name of the surgeon you used?

Dr. Rukmini Rednam and Dr. Scott Reis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the healing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, Stella S said:

How is the healing?

The incisions are great. Still have soreness and swelling but that’s going to take time. Thanks for asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw- arms look great!

how long was your down time? I work with kids - dr said if I had an office job I could go back to work in 2 weeks (I do not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jean- I’m having both surgeries at the same time also. How helpless were you in the beginning and how long did it take to be self-sufficient? (I live alone with my 8 y/o daughter.)

Do you have before/after pictures of your thighs? How’s your scar? I am so excited for the surgery but a little nervous for the first couple of days afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sandee29 said:

Jean- I’m having both surgeries at the same time also. How helpless were you in the beginning and how long did it take to be self-sufficient? (I live alone with my 8 y/o daughter.)

Do you have before/after pictures of your thighs? How’s your scar? I am so excited for the surgery but a little nervous for the first couple of days afterwards.

Sandee, congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I don’t have pics yet but I will say I carried my weight in my butt and thighs mostly so my legs had allot going on. They were horrible! I started in a women’s size 34/36 pants and I comfortably wear a misses size 14 pants (even in jeans) and a medium in tight fit leggings (Academy BCGs). I hope that gives you an idea. Additionally, according to my surgeon, I am still considered early in my recovery and I still have swelling in my legs.

I was shocked at how helpless I was. I am very independent and just “knew” I would be able to do everything....NOT! First of all you will have 4 drains and you will need someone to strip those for you. Mine came out in a week. I had to have help standing for about 4 or 5 days. I have a recliner with a handle and could not raise or lower my legs for a couple of weeks. You cannot reach or pull or push up to help stand. Build up your core muscles because you will need them. I had to have help lifting my legs for about a week to get in and out of bed. I had to have help cleaning myself after using the bathroom. Again you cannot reach. I mean physically cannot. That was probably about 5 days or so. I couldn’t wash or brush my own hair for two weeks. Showering is a production, because after you shower, there may be a solution that has to be put on your incisions as well as any open blisters that you may get have to be doctored and dressed. You won’t be able to do all of that.

Obviously I needed help dressing. I went home with the legs and arms wrapped and they will have to be kept wrapped except while in the shower. At my one week visit, I was put in an upper body compression garment that I could not get in and off by myself for over a week. I also needed help getting the compressions on and off my legs. Remember you can’t reach or pull.

The biggest shock was the limitations of my arms and how swollen my hands got. I couldn’t even hold a fork. Not that I could reach my mouth anyway. I could not feed myself for about 4 days. But I got inventive. You need a spoon and or fork with a long handle, like a wooden spoon. I also used an ice tea spoon as I became more able to grip. By about the 5th day I could use chopsticks for some things. The most frustrating thing was not being able to drink without help. I couldn’t reach to get my Water and I couldn’t even hold it. So my suggestion is get a long straw. Like one of those yard drink straws. Then you can sit you drink container (with a lid) in your lap or beside you with your straw right there. Drinking water is important.

Keeping a T.V. tray beside me helped. Keeping my arms propped on pillows was essential. Meal prep as much as you can for at least a weeks worth of meals. Do a walk through of your daily routine and notice how much you reach. For everything you have to reach for, move that stuff to waste level. That will help allot. Things you wouldn’t think of , for instance my Vitamins are kept in a basket on top of my frig. Every two weeks I fill my daily pill box that stays on my counter. When it came time to refill my pill box, I couldn’t reach up and get the heavy basket from the frig. Things like that need to be thought about.

I know this seems like allot, but the more you are prepared, the easier it will be. It will go by faster than you realize. By two weeks I was back working from home and getting around great. Days 1-5 are the worst I think.

You’ve got this! When is your surgery? I am having a 360 lower body lift in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jean,

Thank you for being so honest- now I’m more nervous than I was., Did anyone give you a heads up of the first couple of days? My surgery date is 4/5. My next surgery -probably in the Fall/early winter will be the LBL-

Dr. gave me a consult/price on that also. I made sure I was comfortable with dr to do both surgeries. He did my TT 19 yrs ago (when I lost a lot of weight prior to my gastric sleeve and daughter.)

I have UC (ulcerated colitis) and I’m finally in remission due to my eating plan and herbal supplements. I am so scared b/c PS said I have to be off all supplements 2 weeks before surgery and I’m scared to go into a flare. I’m meeting with my Gi on Wednedsay to see my options and live on pepto or Imodium if it comes to that and I was also going to inquire about being on it after surgery to not have to go to the bathroom. You mentioned the limitations and the pain with the arms - did you have any pain or limitations w/thighs? or did the arms totally override the thighs? I have a high pain tolerance - was walking a mile the day after my TT ( but that was 19 yrs ago)

Thanks again for the info and your honesty!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sandee29 said:

Hi Jean,

Thank you for being so honest- now I’m more nervous than I was., Did anyone give you a heads up of the first couple of days? My surgery date is 4/5. My next surgery -probably in the Fall/early winter will be the LBL-

Dr. gave me a consult/price on that also. I made sure I was comfortable with dr to do both surgeries. He did my TT 19 yrs ago (when I lost a lot of weight prior to my gastric sleeve and daughter.)

I have UC (ulcerated colitis) and I’m finally in remission due to my eating plan and herbal supplements. I am so scared b/c PS said I have to be off all supplements 2 weeks before surgery and I’m scared to go into a flare. I’m meeting with my Gi on Wednedsay to see my options and live on pepto or Imodium if it comes to that and I was also going to inquire about being on it after surgery to not have to go to the bathroom. You mentioned the limitations and the pain with the arms - did you have any pain or limitations w/thighs? or did the arms totally override the thighs? I have a high pain tolerance - was walking a mile the day after my TT ( but that was 19 yrs ago)

Thanks again for the info and your honesty!!

The things I specifically mentioned, that aren’t really pleasant to talk about, I don’t recall hearing about in the detail I shared. That’s why it caught me by surprise. Perhaps the thought was that it was understood to have these limitations, but I think we move through life so fast we take all that we do for granted and don’t realize all of the details. When you mentioned it was just you and your precious daughter I felt it would be helpful to prepare as much as possible.

I wouldn’t say the pain in my arms was worse. I too have a high pain tolerance. When I say you can’t do something, it’s not about the pain. You literally can’t because your arms will be swollen and tight. And to get optimal results, they don’t want you stretching your arms.

You can do this girl! I will be brutally honest with you. Don’t hesitate to ask me anything at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2019 at 7:51 PM, Jean E. said:

I wouldn’t say the pain in my arms was worse. I too have a high pain tolerance. When I say you can’t do something, it’s not about the pain. You literally can’t because your arms will be swollen and tight. And to get optimal results, they don’t want you stretching your arms.

You can do this girl! I will be brutally honest with you. Don’t hesitate to ask me anything at all.

Not to be a creep, but I totally showed your before and after photos to my plastic surgeon as to what my expectations are after my arm lift in November. lol. Looked so amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Not to be a creep, but I totally showed your before and after photos to my plastic surgeon as to what my expectations are after my arm lift in November. lol. Looked so amazing.

Great! I hope you get what you want. They are even smaller now. Scars look great! Good luck with your surgery. Is it scheduled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jean E. said:

Great! I hope you get what you want. They are even smaller now. Scars look great! Good luck with your surgery. Is it scheduled?

Yes! November 19th Tummy Tuck and arm lift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I am still loosing a little. In the 180’s now. I had my DS 20 months ago. I will be having a 360 body lift, breast lift, and possible implants
A63BA227-FC28-480C-AB25-BE162C57CB47.thumb.jpeg.fee5e8142847dad52ce5aa060c56d5d5.jpeg
Wow! Looks fantastic!! Congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your arms look absolutely amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • GreenTealael

      At my Primary Physician appt, the Doc said you know you lost a whole person. When you started seeing me you were 265lbs now you're 148lbs.
      She's right... I lost the fun me 😂 Joking Joking Joking. It's amazing who keeps track when you don't like insurance and browsers feeds
      · 2 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        I think you're fun! You must have been a firecracker before!

      2. GreenTealael

        I don't even drink anymore 😂

    • Krestel

      First head cold since the surgery....at least I know that my body is back to "normal". /sigh
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Dietitian scheduled 11/18
      Mental Evaluation scheduled 11/18
      OMG we moving forward
      All things working toward my Dec 9th surgery date!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

      Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×