Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 week post-op weight loss meltdown

I'm just over 4 weeks out. I lost 20 pounds in the first 4 weeks, BUT almost 15 was the first week after surgery. Then I had a stall/recovery period at week 2 and didn't lose for 10+ days. Now I'm losing at a rate of 2.2 pounds per week. I'm so sad and angry. Why isn't it falling off like everyone says?

I'm eating 300 to 400 calories per day and aiming for 60g of Protein per day (per my doctor's plan- at 3 months I get upped to 500 calories per day and should be near 80g of protein and possibly more calories depending on workouts).

I can't believe it. 2.2 pounds per week?? That's what normal people lose, but I'M NOT NORMAL. I just had 75% of my stomach cut out and I'm restricted to starvation levels of calories. How am I only losing 2.2 pounds per week??

I had surgery at 265, and I'm only 5'5", so I have a lot to lose. Even now I have 95 pounds to go to get to a normal BMI and healthy weight.

I just started really working out this week (20-30 mins daily of walking or biking and 2 specific arm exercises using light weights and lots of reps) so I know it's not muscle.

I'm so sad about this. Please tell me I'm not the only one who isn't experiencing magical weight loss of 5+ pounds per week. I'd be so happy with like 3.5 pounds per week, but I can't even get to that. I feel like this didn't work and I've changed my whole life for nothing.

If I'm only at 2.2 pounds per week now, what happens in 6 months when the honeymoon phase is over?! I'll never lose weight again!

Also, I'm still hungry!!

1 hour ago, KT1981 said:

I'm just over 4 weeks out. I lost 20 pounds in the first 4 weeks, BUT almost 15 was the first week after surgery. Then I had a stall/recovery period at week 2 and didn't lose for 10+ days. Now I'm losing at a rate of 2.2 pounds per week. I'm so sad and angry. Why isn't it falling off like everyone says?

I'm eating 300 to 400 calories per day and aiming for 60g of Protein per day (per my doctor's plan- at 3 months I get upped to 500 calories per day and should be near 80g of Protein and possibly more calories depending on workouts).

I can't believe it. 2.2 pounds per week?? That's what normal people lose, but I'M NOT NORMAL. I just had 75% of my stomach cut out and I'm restricted to starvation levels of calories. How am I only losing 2.2 pounds per week??

I had surgery at 265, and I'm only 5'5", so I have a lot to lose. Even now I have 95 pounds to go to get to a normal BMI and healthy weight.

I just started really working out this week (20-30 mins daily of walking or biking and 2 specific arm exercises using light weights and lots of reps) so I know it's not muscle.

I'm so sad about this. Please tell me I'm not the only one who isn't experiencing magical weight loss of 5+ pounds per week. I'd be so happy with like 3.5 pounds per week, but I can't even get to that. I feel like this didn't work and I've changed my whole life for nothing.

If I'm only at 2.2 pounds per week now, what happens in 6 months when the honeymoon phase is over?! I'll never lose weight again!

Also, I'm still hungry!!

I'm going to have to swing back to this, but for now, use the search and look up "Stalls", they are normal and common and frustrating. But they don't last. Also, you might need to actually start increasing your caloric intake, but I'm confused how you are getting 60g of protein and with less than 400 calories. Protein is approx 4 calories per gram, so 60 calories would be 240 in itself. Working out will cause Fluid retention and a stall. I'll come back to this when I can, but relax, nothing is wrong, you seem to be doing what you need to be and you are following your doctors instructions which is great. You didn't mention your Water intake, your body needs water to remove fat, current medical research is showing that non-WLS humans need between 90-110 oz of water a day, I shoot for 128 oz a day myself. Increased water intake does make a major difference!

2 hours ago, KT1981 said:

I'm eating 300 to 400 calories per day and aiming for 60g of Protein per day (per my doctor's plan- at 3 months I get upped to 500 calories per day and should be near 80g of Protein and possibly more calories depending on workouts).

Also, I'm still hungry!!

First month out. It's ok to have a freak out moment. Take a deep breath....

Keep working your plan and give this time. Here is a link about stalls. Your not alone.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/

2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

I'm going to have to swing back to this, but for now, use the search and look up "Stalls", they are normal and common and frustrating. But they don't last. Also, you might need to actually start increasing your caloric intake, but I'm confused how you are getting 60g of Protein and with less than 400 calories. Protein is approx 4 calories per gram, so 60 calories would be 240 in itself. Working out will cause Fluid retention and a stall. I'll come back to this when I can, but relax, nothing is wrong, you seem to be doing what you need to be and you are following your doctors instructions which is great. You didn't mention your Water intake, your body needs Water to remove fat, current medical research is showing that non-WLS humans need between 90-110 oz of water a day, I shoot for 128 oz a day myself. Increased water intake does make a major difference!

The protein/caloric intake is something I'm confused about, too. I'm supposed to be advancing my diet, but the only way to meet my protein goal is to do 2 Premier Protein shakes a day, which basically uses all of my calories for the day, so I can't really advance.

Even more confusing is that I'm supposed to be working up to 80g of protein per day, but am not going to be increasing my calories for another 2 months, and even then, I'll only get 500 calories (or possibly a few more depending on my workouts).

I have a follow up in about 10 days so I'll ask for clarification on all that. I am having trouble even getting to 64 oz of water, so I will keep working on that.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it! I will keep at the water intake!

1 hour ago, skinnylife said:

First month out. It's ok to have a freak out moment. Take a deep breath....

Keep working your plan and give this time. Here is a link about stalls. Your not alone.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/

Thank you for the validation! After some pity/freak out time, I'm feeling better but still scared things will come to a grinding halt altogether. I will check out the link!

Here's a food log of mine from 3.21.18. I was 4 weeks + 1 day Post Op. It "is" possible to get 60g of Protein in for around 450ish cals/day. I did it quit often in the early days. But it takes some real strategy. :)

Part 1 (click to enlarge)

image.png.f8eacaf09735d57dd80b4e4668b51415.png

Part 2 (click to enlarge)

image.thumb.png.17e1353a22b63c7c489552faabe0dadb.png

I’m about the same stage as you. I’m required to get 60g Protein a day but the dietician hasn’t said anything about a calorie limit. I track manually on a piece of paper where I record calories and protein, so she can see how much cal there is, but she hasn’t said anything. Some days are low calorie but some can be up to 800.

Keep up the work and the results will follow. I am about 2 weeks behind you and am just catching up with my weight loss from week of surgery as i gained 14 during surgery. On my one week post op date, i broke even, meaning i was back to surgery date weight. Since then its been falling at 2.5 pounds a day( Friday and Today- though it has been doing this 2.5 daily for about 5 days total), but i am gathering that is just my weight playing catch up and not every loss since surgery was pure surgery liquid weight. I figure this will level off by Tuesday or Wednesday next week and then it will fall into a normal weight loss.. Not quite sure since i am a newbie!

a majority of people experience their first stall about three weeks after surgery (search for "the three week stall" (it even has a name!)). The first month or so is also when you'll typically see your biggest losses, after that, your 2.2 lbs a week thing is pretty common. Just stick to your plan and the weight will come off. After the first month, I lost about 10-12 lbs a month for awhile (and once I was about six or seven months out, it came off even slower). But I've lost over 200 lbs in total, so it does work as long as you stick to your program.

Hi, some of us will lose slower than others. This is still ok. It all adds up in the end. You have the next year and a half to work on actively getting to a goal , then going further or maintaining. Try to be patient and kind to yourself.

Edited by GreenTealael