Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taste bud changing thing was no joke

So before surgery i HATED anything grape flavored with a passion and fruit punch was my go to. So i bought a multi flavor pack of gatorade zero and figured id give hubby the grape now that im post op. Took one swig of thr fruit punch and spit it out...tried the grape and it was heaven!! So funny how you dont realize how much your taste buds change! Who elses taste buds changed?

6 minutes ago, sleevegirl88 said:

So before surgery i HATED anything grape flavored with a passion and fruit punch was my go to. So i bought a multi flavor pack of gatorade zero and figured id give hubby the grape now that im post op. Took one swig of thr fruit punch and spit it out...tried the grape and it was heaven!! So funny how you dont realize how much your taste buds change! Who elses taste buds changed?

They do change, lots of folks, myself included, notice that they can revert back to before. I think some of it has to do with the medication and the intubation.

Cottage cheese used to be my go-to as well as Greek Yogurt, even stirred sugar f4ee syrups etc in them to spice things up. Precious Hurled both out with great rapidity. Haven't tried them since, should maybe?

@Matt Z Maybe down the road i can try them again, although makes me wonder if i should try other foods i hated pre surgery (i.e cottage cheese) and see if i like them now

@Frustr8 hmmmm possibly..maybe try a bite or two and wait a few minuets and see?

I remember a few months after surgery using ketchup. It was like tasting hot sauce. Luckily the taste buds seem to adjust back over time.

5 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

I remember a few months after surgery using ketchup. It was like tasting hot sauce. Luckily the taste buds seem to adjust back over time.

i noticed that too i got sugar free ketchup and it tasted kinda spicy

No sugar, funny, NEVER thought of it except as a flavor enhancer.

2 hours ago, sleevegirl88 said:

I noticed right after surgery, things that were sweet were disgustingly sweet. I also couldn’t drink my beloved cup of coffee. That’s changed now. I’m better with tastes and can drink my coffee again!

2 hours ago, sleevegirl88 said:

@Matt Z Maybe down the road i can try them again, although makes me wonder if i should try other foods i hated pre surgery (i.e cottage cheese) and see if i like them now

@Frustr8 hmmmm possibly..maybe try a bite or two and wait a few minuets and see?

Now is certainly the time to try those foods you didn't like before! Get a taste for them now and more than likely you'll keep those changes down the road.

I had that experience with coffee. I couldn't drink it for a few weeks after surgery. I think it was associated with the swelling of my new stomach, because now that that's gone, I'm back to my morning cup!

I also couldn’t drink coffee, but right back to my morning 1 cup...also I loved mayo I hate it now, a matter of fact I’m not a fan of creamy things or anything dipping, I use to love dips and creams

1 hour ago, Lena809 said:

I also couldn’t drink coffee, but right back to my morning 1 cup...also I loved mayo I hate it now, a matter of fact I’m not a fan of creamy things or anything dipping, I use to love dips and creams

I have to agree. Funny how it feels like a disappointment when you don't like something you used to enjoy. I never drank a lot of coffee but i loved my morning half a cup. Now, i still pour it up, but it just doesn't taste all that great anymore. I also don't seem to crave sweets quite as much as before.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:10, Lena809 said:

How funny!!! I freakin love dips and creams..

I wonder if I’ll end up hating them too 😩

I would scoop more than dip and now I hate it all

Kraft French onion chip dip, the one that Tastes,like you stirred the beef onion Soup in. That was one of my guilty pleasures. And I would grab the white cheddar Cheezits if a small bag went galloping by .