Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being sick after RNY?

How did your tummy and body respond to antibiotics after surgery? I have had a horrible cold that I am afraid has now turned into something worse. So later today I will be going to my primary and I will more than likely need antibiotics. Any suggestions of what has worked and what hasn't?

I have an UTI, was prescribed Azo, Keflex and Ditropan Azo turned my urine orange-red but did I benefit anyone besides the,Pharmacy? IDK no worse but better, IDK.

1 hour ago, AshMarie794 said:

How did your tummy and body respond to antibiotics after surgery? I have had a horrible cold that I am afraid has now turned into something worse. So later today I will be going to my primary and I will more than likely need antibiotics. Any suggestions of what has worked and what hasn't?

Haven't had any issues with any medications post op (other than not taking NSAIDS)

I think my biggest thing is how effective they will be... And more of a woman concern is with taking antibiotics normally if you don't also eat some yogurt or do a Probiotics you can also get a yeast infection. Don't want a compound issues just to get rid of a cough and get my voice back.

46 minutes ago, AshMarie794 said:

I think my biggest thing is how effective they will be... And more of a woman concern is with taking antibiotics normally if you don't also eat some yogurt or do a Probiotics you can also get a yeast infection. Don't want a compound issues just to get rid of a cough and get my voice back.

I'm a VSGer but

Totally invest in pre/probiotics early on. I chose gummies - they were just easier. I think it did help a lot when I look back to when I was on Antibiotics- no yeast infections no crazy digestive issues creaping up (Sometimes i ate plain Greek yogurt too, lots of beans- food for the microbes)

Edited by GreenTealael

7 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I'm a VSGer but

Totally invest in pre/probiotics early on. I chose gummies - they were just easier. I think it did help a lot when I look back to when I was on Antibiotics- no yeast infections no crazy digestive issues creaping up (Sometimes i ate plain Greek yogurt too, lots of beans- food for the microbes)

See I can do the yogurt and just make some smoothies and eat Beans all day everyday. But CANNOT do pro-prebiotic. They reek havoc in my belly. Before and after surgery I tried them but my surgeon said NO.

16 minutes ago, AshMarie794 said:

See I can do the yogurt and just make some smoothies and eat Beans all day everyday. But CANNOT do pro-prebiotic. They reek havoc in my belly. Before and after surgery I tried them but my surgeon said NO.

You may not need to if you are getting enough of the other foods and fiber...

Just had Keflex for an UTI, didn't notice anything significant, no loose stools, some antibiotics give me a rash but I skited through This Time!

55 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Just had Keflex for an UTI, didn't notice anything significant, no loose stools, some antibiotics give me a rash but I skited through This Time!

I ended up on a steroid and two different antibiotics. I didn't notice any difference other than my arms and hands were tingly. Doc said it was from the steroid.

Then a couple weeks later went on another two antibiotic's for a severe UTI. I didn't have any issue with those.