Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The link between high protein diets and cancer

I asked the question because I am mindful when I look at research results of who the investigators are, that way I can be aware of any possible bias.

I think I am going to back out or stay out of the OP's threads from now on, responding only keeps pushing the scare tactic posts back to the top of the recent activity lists. Can't say I won't not respond all the time but I will do my best not to.

As far as I am aware the following things can all cause cancer :-

Too much protein

Too much fat

Too much sugar

Too much sun

Too much stress

Too much alcohol

Sex

Genetics

Breathing

Being alive

17 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I will continue to post nutrition articles that are of concern to bariatric patients. We are adults. Those who appreciate them can read them. Those who don't....can either continue to whine and cry about them....or act like adults and simply ignore them.

I've been thanked privately and encouraged to continue posting. I'm happy to do that for those who find it of use.

And you get your muffin points for repeatedly posting the same obscure articles and opinions. And I do not see anyone on here liking or thanking you. You offer nothing of value here.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2011/06/10/0008-5472.CAN-10-3973.full-text.pdf (The journal article is titled "A Low Carbohydrate, High Protein Diet Slows Tumor Growth and Prevents Cancer Initiation")

I prefer to get my information from reputable sources. Like the American Association for Cancer Research. Where they have, you know, real researchers whose sole job is cancer research.

Edited by MMME

On 10/21/2018 at 5:13 PM, 2shea said:

I asked the question because I am mindful when I look at research results of who the investigators are, that way I can be aware of any possible bias.

I think I am going to back out or stay out of the OP's threads from now on, responding only keeps pushing the scare tactic posts back to the top of the recent activity lists. Can't say I won't not respond all the time but I will do my best not to.

In the spirit of "fair and balanced" representation:

A few studies and a YouTube of an energy scientist that beautifully explain insulin and disease!

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13668-018-0235-0?fbclid=IwAR1rRxNQx04PB9JES0sGzzbSbe4YrJo3PB7sbQYOQqIlPrS0MyRTwtVU-n4

A very small study that demonstrates the need for further studies: Dr. Eugene Fine MD

https://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(12)00186-4/fulltext

And I could go on...but why beat the dead horse...

Benjamin Bikman Interviewed on BioHack

19 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

A few studies and a YouTube of an energy scientist that beautifully explain insulin and disease!

Be careful though to consider that Protein also releases insulin. ;)

I wonder why the insulin index seems to get so little attention within the whole insulin debate?

I guess I'll stick with IF. Seems to be the simplest method and also seems to have anti-inflammatory benefits.

3 minutes ago, summerset said:

Be careful though to consider that Protein also releases insulin. ;)

I wonder why the insulin index seems to get so little attention within the whole insulin debate?

I guess I'll stick with IF. Seems to be the simplest method and also seems to have anti-inflammatory benefits.

So glad you bring this up!

Because this gentleman Ben Bikman, PhD, who is an expert in the field of energy movement (biochemistry) explains it so DANG well!

The study linking Protein consumption to insulinogenic activity was done in GLUCOSE burners--not in the framework of low carb/ketogenic dieting. He explains it VERY well in the YouTube of why in a low carb diet the protein is no longer associated with a silent insulin spike. It's at about the 31minute mark in the interview. It has to do with the insulin/glucagon ratio. It has a 20% increase in a high carb fed state. When you feed that same insulin/glucagon ratio to subjects in a low carb state, the insulin remained in a steady line and did not spike (32:38) in the interview.

Don't believe me. I'm just a schmoe who's been studying this for 18 years. LOL! Believe this dude and I can hook you up with COUNTLESS professionals (MDs, PhDs, RDs, biochemists etc) who have access to true LABORATORY knowledge...lol

But you are STILL missing the point. In a thoughtfully constructed low carb or Keto diet, Protein consumption IS NEVER HIGH! It is only PROTEIN SUFFICIENT and that varies on your individual LBM, level of activity, age, gender and several other factors. And that number changes as you lose weight or if any of those variables change!

My oncologist, a world-renown hematologist/biochemist who is one of the most well-documented researchers on hormone positive breast cancer, was on board with my low carb and IF approach during chemo/radiation/surgeries and now. :) I eat the same protein I always ate that is adequate only for my needs. It's about 60-74g of protein per day. Closer to 60g of protein per day as of right now. That's about 2 eggs, a pouch of tuna mixed with some 2% cottage cheese, and 3oz of grilled chicken per day.

LOL. Nowhere would that constitute a "protein glut" or "gobs of protein" or be anything out of the ordinary in any form of diet! About 2-3oz of protein cooked per meal! That's it. Boom, you're done! LOL.

image.thumb.png.47db1856376a7d93025111de905df2f4.png

Biohacking? Not really my kind of beef since I managed to jump off the self-optimization wagon. Anyway...

I think you're missing my point that a lot people associate insulin release only with carbohydrate intake and this is simply not true and I'm not sure why you're answer seems to be so over the top because this is all I wanted to say. If you want to live a keto-life and enjoy that and there is even research to back you up, that's absolutely fine

However, in the end what this guy has to say is just another opinion, based on his research. Other researchers have other things to say, based on their research and we're all back to square one again.

Edited by summerset

23 minutes ago, summerset said:

Biohacking? Not really my kind of beef since I managed to jump off the self-optimization wagon. Anyway...

I think you're missing my point that a lot people associate insulin release only with carbohydrate intake and this is simply not true and I'm not sure why you're answer seems to be so over the top because this is all I wanted to say. If you want to live a keto-life and enjoy that and there is even research to back you up, that's absolutely fine

However, in the end what this guy has to say is just another opinion, based on his research. Other researchers have other things to say, based on their research and we're all back to square one again.

Hahahaha! Trust you and our Creek to use strawman arguments and personal insults to argue a point rather than debate the substantive portion of this debate. :) And no, this guy's opinion is based on his expertise in his field to evaluate the nature of the studies upon which "conclusions" are being conjectured or alleged. The studies are based on published works by other scientists. :) And yes, we are back to square one...I will resist sharing the advice my grandmother gave me growing up.

Boiler Plate Disclaimer: BTW! NOT that I am pushing my woe or trying to recruit! Just offering anecdotal commentary!!! I fully support your individual woe regardless of what it is...as long as it's something you can sustain for a lifetime! And even if it isn't, as long as you can do it to get you to the finish, then have an excellent exit strategy to a lifelong plan, yeeehaw!!! CUDOS!!! I'll be your cheerleader and your huckleberry!

Sincerely,

Fluffy Chix Cook

:229_hatching_chick: 🦄 :565_rainbow: 🤓

Edited by FluffyChix

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Hahahaha! Trust you and our Creek to use strawman arguments and personal insults to argue a point rather than debate the substantive portion of this debate.

Good heavens, stop the paranoia please... *plonk*

1 minute ago, summerset said:

Good heavens, stop the paranoia please... *plonk*

Not paranoia, again, empirical data via experience with you both. :) Gotta get back to work now.

What few people realize here...is that there is a difference between mouse biochemistry and human biochemistry. Particularly, in the way we deal with IGF-1. Mouse studies are pointless.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673798/

These findings demonstrate that, unlike in rodents, long-term severe CR (caloric restriction) does not reduce serum IGF-1 concentration and IGF-1 : IGFBP-3 ratio in humans. In addition, our data provide evidence that Protein intake is a key determinant of circulating IGF-1 levels in humans, and suggest that reduced protein intake may become an important component of anticancer and anti-aging dietary interventions.

MMME's study above...while from a reputable source...was done on mice.

Edited by Creekimp13

Ok it’s time to end this thread. Leave us with this thought. I’m glad so many of us are passionate about our beliefs. Fools dispise wisdom and instruction.   Take what you need from this thread and ask for wisdom to understand what is relevant to you and what isn’t. Go Eagles. :)