Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking for vets feedback. Bummed after 2mo checkup

I had my 2 month check up this week and have been a little bummbed about it so I would like to share and ask the opinions of some vets please.

Few stats:

I was sleeved on 8/2/18

SW: 293.7

CW: 256.9

Loss: 36.8

Meals:

I meal prep Breakfast and lunch

Breakfast is always a variation of the same thing: egg, a veggie (zucchini, spinach), a meat and cheese baked in a 4oz muffin tin (see photo).

Lunch is a meat in some kind of sauce ie chili or spaghetti with noodles. Photo is 3oz of baked chicken in cream of mushroom Soup with steamed zucchini (taste better than it looks lol).

dinner is usually leftovers or a fried egg.

My only deviation from the above is last week when I was wanting to snack and had 1oz of peanuts.

I track every bite and average between 800-900 cals per day.

Exercise:

I have done 3 days of zumba a week since week 3, except last week because of a cold.

I thought I was doing a good but Dr said I should have lost a little more weight, at least 40lbs by now. I'm reaching out because im concerned that I'm not losing enough, and that it will get worse from here. I have a very unhealthy relationship with food, and don't want to start doing stupid stuff like starving myself but at the same time want to correct any bad habits/eating now.

Does anyone see anywhere I can improve/change?

In your opinion, should I be worried this early on or does it all balance out down the road?

Anything I should know this early on that can keep me from freaking out ? 20181012_072628.jpeg 20181012_072844.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Did the doctor make any suggestions about what might help you? I had my surgery a few weeks after you and was told by my doctor to stay between 500-600 calories. Perhaps you are eating a bit too much. Your food sounds delicious, but I wonder if the cream Soup and Pasta might be a factor. From what I read in my instructions, pasta should be avoided. I would urge you to call your dietician if you haven't already to get his/her suggestions.

Your body is very protective of your life. It responds to quick weight-loss by slowing you down. Self preservation is the real deal and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these forums that won't attest to periods of slow weight loss or even the cessation of weight loss while still strictly recording calories and increasing exercise. These periods can last weeks to more than a month. You might even be able to notice that while you are doing your Zumba class or adding in more activity, you still might be having more quiet times or resting state activities in between your increased efforts. I can tell you from personal experience, even though I was doing my elliptical everyday I realized I was extra tired and going to bed an hour earlier than I ever used to. Getting good sleep is great, don't get me wrong, but your body can be really sneaky about slowing down starving to death which is what's happening in reality. Don't let your doctor rattle you about how fast you should be dropping weight. Focus instead on what you should be doing. Counting calories is a great way to teach yourself portion size and accountability. You won't have to do that forever, but its a great fall back plan if you are baffled about why you are experiencing slow or no weight loss. The world tells you that 2000 calories a day is okay and the "norm." You don't get that luxury anymore, maybe never. Your metabolism is in shambles, so is mine. You might only be burning 1600 calories a day even with exercise. Weight loss requires a caloric deficit so if you are eating 1000 calories give or take, then weight loss might only look like 1 lb gone in 6 days. That gives you a loss of 5 lbs a month. This sounds awful, but it really isn't! I'm not saying this stuff to upset you, or scare you, but rather to comfort and encourage you. You can and will succeed if you are patient with yourself and focus on the life long skill that you MUST learn from all this. It's a lovely balance of Portion Control, nutrition choices, activity and accountability. You got this! Cheers!

I not an expert or anything, but I really don't think you're eating too much. Did your doctor give you any Protein goal and Water goals? I was told to get at least 80g of protein per day, but I usually get 100g or more, and I get 90oz of water in per day too. What is your protein intake? It doesn't seem high, based on the food you listed. I also wouldn't be disappointed by 36 pounds in 2 months; I think that's great!

2 hours ago, Malcy said:

I thought I was doing a good but Dr said I should have lost a little more weight, at least 40lbs by now.

Hmm ... I think that is a very aggressive goal by your Dr.

You have to have a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 lb. So by your surgeon's goals you should have a 2,300 calorie deficit each day. Your BMR may not even be that high.

Did the doctor make any suggestions about what might help you? I had my surgery a few weeks after you and was told by my doctor to stay between 500-600 calories. Perhaps you are eating a bit too much. Your food sounds delicious, but I wonder if the cream Soup and Pasta might be a factor. From what I read in my instructions, pasta should be avoided. I would urge you to call your dietician if you haven't already to get his/her suggestions.
I have denied every urge to have any pasta. I have wanted some pizza and spaghetti so bad and haven't had a bite. I just got off soft foods a couple weeks ago. I put a call into my NUT and waiting for her to call back. I still wanted to ask in the forum to see what you guys think because I value your opinions.

Your body is very protective of your life. It responds to quick weight-loss by slowing you down. Self preservation is the real deal and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these forums that won't attest to periods of slow weight loss or even the cessation of weight loss while still strictly recording calories and increasing exercise. These periods can last weeks to more than a month. You might even be able to notice that while you are doing your Zumba class or adding in more activity, you still might be having more quiet times or resting state activities in between your increased efforts. I can tell you from personal experience, even though I was doing my elliptical everyday I realized I was extra tired and going to bed an hour earlier than I ever used to. Getting good sleep is great, don't get me wrong, but your body can be really sneaky about slowing down starving to death which is what's happening in reality. Don't let your doctor rattle you about how fast you should be dropping weight. Focus instead on what you should be doing. Counting calories is a great way to teach yourself portion size and accountability. You won't have to do that forever, but its a great fall back plan if you are baffled about why you are experiencing slow or no weight loss. The world tells you that 2000 calories a day is okay and the "norm." You don't get that luxury anymore, maybe never. Your metabolism is in shambles, so is mine. You might only be burning 1600 calories a day even with exercise. Weight loss requires a caloric deficit so if you are eating 1000 calories give or take, then weight loss might only look like 1 lb gone in 6 days. That gives you a loss of 5 lbs a month. This sounds awful, but it really isn't! I'm not saying this stuff to upset you, or scare you, but rather to comfort and encourage you. You can and will succeed if you are patient with yourself and focus on the life long skill that you MUST learn from all this. It's a lovely balance of Portion Control, nutrition choices, activity and accountability. You got this! Cheers!
Solid advice! Thank you very much. My appointment was on Tuesday and it's been bothering me every since but your comments really put it on perspective and give me a different perspective. I tried to add an extra day of Zumba this week after I had my appointment and felt like I was going to pass out. I have really been struggling with learn I'm not how to eat and work this pouch so learning how to even eat has definitely been a learning curve in this last month. I guess you're right I need to focus more on that part than the scale so much

I not an expert or anything, but I really don't think you're eating too much. Did your doctor give you any Protein goal and Water goals? I was told to get at least 80g of protein per day, but I usually get 100g or more, and I get 90oz of water in per day too. What is your protein intake? It doesn't seem high, based on the food you listed. I also wouldn't be disappointed by 36 pounds in 2 months; I think that's great!
I know you all are not experts but I really value the collective knowledge and information I have learned from you all. He told me that I still have the water and protein goals, but he wants me to cut back on the shakes because of the liquid calories. I thought the 35lbs was good until my appointment. He didn't say it was bad, but the chronic dieter in me automatically wanted to jump back into the bad habits.

I certainly sympathize with you and your struggles. When I had my first dietician appointment post op I was told that I hadn't lost enough and needed to cut back to between 300 and 400 calories. It was quite depressing. However, my bariatician said I was doing fine, as did my surgeon this week. They both told me to expect to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. To me that doesn't seem fast enough and that I lost at a quicker pace before the surgery. My surgeon told me that I can do 500 to 600 calories per day and to make sure I get at least 50 g of Protein. That is what I aim for right now until I am told otherwise. It isn't easy because I get cravings all the time. sugar free Jello helps, as do almonds.

Be happy and proud with what you have accomplished. WLS is hard work and you are doing it!

Hmm ... I think that is a very aggressive goal by your Dr.
You have to have a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 lb. So by your surgeon's goals you should have a 2,300 calorie deficit each day. Your BMR may not even be that high.
What is a BMR? And how do I know what mine is? And do I want a big one or a small one?

I certainly sympathize with you and your struggles. When I had my first dietician appointment post op I was told that I hadn't lost enough and needed to cut back to between 300 and 400 calories. It was quite depressing. However, my bariatician said I was doing fine, as did my surgeon this week. They both told me to expect to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. To me that doesn't seem fast enough and that I lost at a quicker pace before the surgery. My surgeon told me that I can do 500 to 600 calories per day and to make sure I get at least 50 g of Protein. That is what I aim for right now until I am told otherwise. It isn't easy because I get cravings all the time. sugar free Jello helps, as do almonds.
Be happy and proud with what you have accomplished. WLS is hard work and you are doing it!
So you know my pain from experience. It was kind of a let down. Maybe I should try to cut a few calories. I guess I could have a little less food. My calorie count is not exact because I have been making my food but I'll see where i can tighten up. I know it will go down because I'm going to cut the shakes

Wow, I think your loss is amazing. I'm almost 2 months out and I've lost 27.1 since surgery (45.8 from my highest weight) and I'm thrilled with that. My doc didn't give me a specific weight loss goal for 2 months but I'm supposed to hit 55-70 grams Protein and 60 oz. liquids per day (I do most days). I have been averaging about 1000 calories per day and I have not had a Protein Shake since 2 weeks post-op, I get my protein from food.

It's not a race. It's a marathon. So what if you lose 3.2lbs less than their expectations this month, as long as all the weight you have lost stays lost forever.

If you are honestly following your plan, relax and let it work.

but

DRINK MORE Water, everyone should...

Update** just spoke with my NUT and feel much better after the conversation. She told me the weightloss is amazing. She also said my diet is fine and that she doesn't think it's necessary for me to cut my afternoon Protein Shake. She says my surgeon gets concerned that people drink excess calories but that's not the case in my situation. She told me to stay the course that she thinks I'm doing well .

Wow, I think your loss is amazing. I'm almost 2 months out and I've lost 27.1 since surgery (45.8 from my highest weight) and I'm thrilled with that. My doc didn't give me a specific weight loss goal for 2 months but I'm supposed to hit 55-70 grams Protein and 60 oz. liquids per day (I do most days). I have been averaging about 1000 calories per day and I have not had a Protein Shake since 2 weeks post-op, I get my protein from food.< br>
Thank you. It sounds like you're doing great also. I didn't have a goal before my appointment which is why I thought I was doing really well. According to my NUT I am doing just fine. She simply said "surgeons are not dietitians ". He told me to try and get my calories from food rather than shakes like your Dr said so maybe I'll try and cut back. Otherwise I'll stay the course.