Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

caffeine withdrawl sucks

cut out caffeine so i can be caffeine free by surgery as requested by my doctor...boy do these headaches suck been trying to take tylenol as i have to cut out nsaids and feel like they arent working great getting in 80-100 oz of Water a day...any suggestions on what else may help me with these Migraines? ??

@kathy060464 Thanks!! Trying my best :D

This has a small amount of caffeine if you want to ween yourself off slowly. Excedrin.jpg.68f88d78655495f6f75a04feec2999eb.jpg

@Ed_NW thanks! i used that before hand to switch from coffee and now just trying to kick out but stuff worked great tho

18 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

This has a small amount of caffeine if you want to ween yourself off slowly. Excedrin.jpg.68f88d78655495f6f75a04feec2999eb.jpg

This is exactly what you DON'T want to use. Caffeine AND NSAIDs.... that's a double no no. One of the pre-op checks I had, I was asked if I used NSAIDs in the last month or so... I hadn't, but they said if there was usage, that the surgery *might* get postponed due to the NSAID usage. Don't take anything you know is prohibited after surgery, so close to your surgery without discussing with your surgical team.

Edited by Matt Z

22 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

This is exactly what you DON'T want to use.

I was considering the fact that she just went to her Dr. to talk about WLS surgery just a few weeks ago. I have 2 more months before I can even schedule a surgery date and I started this journey about 6 months ago. At the WLS class I attended back in June, they said to quit caffeine, NSAIDs, etc. at least 45 days before your surgery date. If your surgery date is coming up within the next 2 months, I apologize for the suggestion. My bad 😐

Its alright @Ed_NW i appreciate it. and i havent taken them in the last month or so.. been weening down slowly.. went from coffee with cream to black coffee and then from 2cups a day to 1 cup and then meds with caffeine and now in the last month or so been cutting those out.. i appreciate you trying to help tho

@Matt Z thanks for the help! i havent taken them in a while but ty again matt always glad to see you catching stuff for other people, youre always a big help

I cut out caffeine, also, but did it gradually and eventually switched to Decaf. I also cut out sugar, soda, and processed foods. Hard? Yup, but soooooo worth it! 1) You won't be dealing with withdrawal after surgery. Recovery is hard enough without dealing with withdrawal on top of it. 2) Without caffeine (and sugar) , my moods and energy have been so much more stable, I am just level throughout the day now - no need for a morning "wake-me-up" or a 3 pm "pick-me-up." 3) After surgery, I lost my taste for coffee completely! I am drinking herbal teas in the morning and evening now, and really enjoying the different flavors. This is actually good, as the acid in coffee is not all that great for reflux or for healing. My doctor prescribes acid reducers for 6 months to prevent ulcers. I already had a Barrett's lesion removed prior to surgery, so drinking coffee (even decaf) post op just didn't make sense and I am so glad to be off it. Perhaps the desire will come back later, but for now, it's gone.

I am a complete advocate for getting rid of addictions (caffeine, sugar, soda, processed foods) BEFORE surgery so you can jump right into your healthy new lifestyle without compromise. Hang in there! You are making a great decision that will help you down the road!

cut out caffeine so i can be caffeine free by surgery as requested by my doctor...boy do these headaches suck been trying to take tylenol as i have to cut out nsaids and feel like they arent working great getting in 80-100 oz of Water a day...any suggestions on what else may help me with these Migraines? ??
I take Dimenhydrinate with my Acetaminophen that helps with the nausea....sometimes a children's dose is helpful so I don't get too drowsy. The caffeine in Excedrin works like an anti-inflammatory because it is a diuretic.
Cold pack on your head and neck while in a dark quiet room if possible. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I was able to quit coffee; it was painful. 😖🤣

Now I'm tapering off from tea. Tea doesn't hit me the way coffee does, but caffeine is caffeine I suppose.