Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite restaurant meals post WLS?

I love eating out, and that’s going to continue to be something I enjoy to do after my surgery. I know it’s all about portion and making smart choices, but I would love to know anyone’s specific order when they go out to eat! I know a portion for us is 1/4 (or less!) of the amount served- has anyone found any specific meals that reheat well?

Not really...you can’t eat much, prepared food is full of hidden calories, sugars, and carbs and I don’t like reheated foods. I just don’t bother

Soups (not creamy), turkey burger (no bun), omelettes have been go-to items for me so far. I travel for work so can’t always eat home prepared foods. I’m 7 weeks post op and it’s definitely easier to eat at home still.

Other than Chinese take out, chicken & broccoli, I havn't eaten out. I've been to a diner with my wife and kids but my appetite is so off nothing looked appealing so I didn't order anything.

Soups. chicken that’s not breaded or fried. Still early for me. Mexican food has been okay.. Beans and meats.. no rice, obviously.

Tapas style restaurants are good- cause you can share dishes, so you feel less wasteful.

I've gone out for sushi (light or no rice) and usually let my husband finish off the roll I can't eat. We've split fajitas too. We went out for gyros and I just got the meat.

My BF and I have gone back to sharing meals when we go out. It's the only thing that makes sense... A full meal is high in calories for one person to eat, so he gets 3/4 of the portion while I get 1/4.

When we visit Seattle, I order a cup of clam chowder and he ends up finishing 1/2 of that as well.

We head off to vacation this week, so it will be our true test of how eating out will work post surgery.

I usually get a naked turkey/or vegetarian burger (burger wrapped in lettuce instead of bread) or just tea and coffee when everything is too crazy.

Ask for calorie info if it's not provided, that should help guide your decisions

I order appetizer sizes of things. Started doing that about 4 weeks post op when I could eat a larger variety of foods.

I usually indulge in a Soup while people are eating appetizers and bread and give myself time to digest some. It’s hard when food keeps coming. Then when my food comes I only take a bite if someone is looking because I’ve been pushing my food around. I notice I make more eye contact and talk more since I’m not stuffing my face. I usually have enough to take home for about 3–5 more meals. I order a lean meat and veggie.

I order appetizers as my main course a lot of the time. I order shrimp quite often as well, restaurants never give you very many. I tend to concentrate on eating whatever Protein I ordered and let the sides go uneaten. If they look particularly good I'll get them in a doggy bag.

I like sashimi (sushi without rice or seaweed). Cheesecake Factory has a good light menu. B. Good is another chain with light options. I like the vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs. It’s eggplant meatballs and zucchini zoodles instead of Pasta. A salad with no dressing and Protein like chicken on top is also easy.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:08 PM, NYJenn said:

Not really...you can’t eat much, prepared food is full of hidden calories, sugars, and carbs and I don’t like reheated foods. I just don’t bother

I hear you - two words, "bliss point"... However, I worked in restaurants for a long time and there are a few options. I think restaurants specializing in seafood...easily can accommodate " steaming" or broiling of most Proteins on their menu. Same with steakhouses. Mediterranean can also be a choice. Research. Call ahead. Go over the nutritional values. I just had surgery so I am not planning on going out to eat any time soon but in the past when eating out Bonefish Grill was my go to if I was able to select a place. Broiled shrimp. Steamed broccoli. Steamed asparagus. Lemon wedge.

I was eating out at restaurants, but then I hit a stall, so now that I'm eating at home again I'm starting to lose again. Even though I count everything I eat in MyFitnessPal, there's something about eating out that isn't conducive to losing weight. But when I do eat out I eat one beef taco or a half portion of salmon.

I discovered a 4-pc grilled nuggets kids' meal from Chick-fil-a with buffalo sauce for dipping and fruit instead of fries is a great lunch - just the right portion size, 145 calories if you get a calorie-free beverage. For a drive-through meal, you can hardly do better! I also like the Vietnamese chicken salad spring rolls from Pei Wei. They're super light and full of lean chicken and veggies.

At sit-down restaurants, I typically order a Protein and a steamed vegetable. For example, at Red Lobster, I get crab legs or a lobster tail and broccoli. At a steakhouse I'll get a 7-oz filet mignon and asparagus (and take half of the steak home). At a Japanese restaurant I like to get sashimi, or share a kids' bento box with my 3-year-old. If we're eating at a deli or something, I'll order a sandwich but just eat half. My husband and I shared a sandwich, I ate the fruit that came with it, and he ordered a cup of Soup on the side.

You can still enjoy eating out after surgery, you just have to be creative about your portions and sharing!