Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience so far with sleeve (6 weeks in)

Hi everyone! Here is my experience with the sleeve so far.

On the day of surgery I was 235lb. I am currently 204lb. I am happy with how much I lost. I feel better and more confident. People can tell I lost weight, and that makes me happy.

What I wish people told me: I am still starving. I have terrible cravings. Nothing satisfies me ever. I want pizza and fast food and Pasta and bread so bad. I just don’t do it because I now I have a horrible fear of food. I still have no idea how to eat. I just eat my Protein first. Protein hits your stomach like a brick and you still aren’t satisfied; you are just uncomfortable so you don’t eat more. I barely eat at all throughout the day because I just have no idea what to eat. I don’t want chicken all the time. That is so boring.

This experience is very difficult and it definitely is not easy. I am still hungry and crave food terribly. That does not go away.

Any other thoughts people have?

1 hour ago, jultrim18 said:

On the day of surgery I was 235lb. I am currently 204lb. I am happy with how much I lost. I feel better and more confident. People can tell I lost weight, and that makes me happy.

What I wish people told me: I am still starving. I have terrible cravings. Nothing satisfies me ever. I want pizza and fast food and Pasta and bread so bad. I just don’t do it because I now I have a horrible fear of food. I still have no idea how to eat. I just eat my Protein first. Protein hits your stomach like a brick and you still aren’t satisfied; you are just uncomfortable so you don’t eat more. I barely eat at all throughout the day because I just have no idea what to eat. I don’t want chicken all the time. That is so boring.

This experience is very difficult and it definitely is not easy. I am still hungry and crave food terribly. That does not go away.

Jultrim it is okay and normal to feel this way. I think I have read on this site a million times this same feeling. It is learning to eat all over again. I too struggle with food; always have, but now it is different. I am learning to eat protein first just like you. I try to have a bite of my old favorite foods and they are just not the same anymore; you know, just not comforting and fun like they used to be. I was to do things differently than I have in the bast and establish better eating habits. You are not alone! I feel your pain. We can do this!!

And I am having a rocky evening also, oh I know we will all victorious but the here and now is getting very wereing and tedious . Earlier I threw up cottage cheese for what I swear the LAST, time. I have a biggish container of Greek Yogurt, couldn't keep even a small amount down.Also having troubles with pureed meats and thin cream of whatever. I may have to resort,to soy or got towards vegan.Strained Soups not a problem as long as meat free. Swelling, intolerance or strictur e? I just don't know. After midnight, very dizzy, blood sugar bottoming down? Warmed up 1/2 cup of "Campbell's Yes" butternut squash Soup, Hopeful this will make a difference. FYI I am 26 days and a RnY bypass now. I wanted this surgery, I am still,grateful for the SURGERY, my body was not going to last much longer with an elevated weight. I could see the Death Angel loaning ahead.
I told one of the other Baipals I booked for the Losing Weight and feeling better Plan not the Puking and Nothing Stays down Plan.

@jultrim18 - I'm just a couple of days shy of you, sleeved 8/20. I understand what you're feeling and my weightloss is very similar to yours. I'll tell you this, I have "cheated" and tried a bite of the so called, no no's and have determined that small single bite is enough. I no longer crave those items as I used to. I'd much rather each a bunch of grapes (which these days equates to about 5-8 at most) than a bowl of Pasta. I did try pizza (1/2 slice) and it was not as good as it once was. I don't want that carby bloatedness that follows.

As for things you can eat... the options are endless for you now. Everything we eat for the first time is trial and error. Our new pouches will either say, "yeah, this isn't bad" or 'hell no, keep it away' - I love ground turkey and I recently found out that homemade chili with ground turkey my pouch will accept, but a turkey burger... not a chance. I can eat a regular burger no problem. I struggle nearly daily with just my Water consumption because I never know how my belly will react "today" to it. Some days it wants ICE COLD, others just cold and then others it wants room temperature. It will take months for us to discover all the wonderful things our belly wants or doesn't want. But isn't that the fun part of this? Learning to eat healthy and reaping the weight loss rewards with it?

1 hour ago, MargoCL said:

@jultrim18 - I'm just a couple of days shy of you, sleeved 8/20. I understand what you're feeling and my weightloss is very similar to yours. I'll tell you this, I have "cheated" and tried a bite of the so called, no no's and have determined that small single bite is enough. I no longer crave those items as I used to. I'd much rather each a bunch of grapes (which these days equates to about 5-8 at most) than a bowl of Pasta. I did try pizza (1/2 slice) and it was not as good as it once was. I don't want that carby bloatedness that follows.

As for things you can eat... the options are endless for you now. Everything we eat for the first time is trial and error. Our new pouches will either say, "yeah, this isn't bad" or 'hell no, keep it away' - I love ground turkey and I recently found out that homemade chili with ground turkey my pouch will accept, but a turkey burger... not a chance. I can eat a regular burger no problem. I struggle nearly daily with just my Water consumption because I never know how my belly will react "today" to it. Some days it wants ICE COLD, others just cold and then others it wants room temperature. It will take months for us to discover all the wonderful things our belly wants or doesn't want. But isn't that the fun part of this? Learning to eat healthy and reaping the weight loss rewards with it?

This is such great thread, and I just wanted to say the last lines of this post about discovery and learning really is resonating with me, I am in prepping stages and reading about what everyone is experiencing, and I just think this is what it is about so thank you!

I allow myself to eat things that are bad for me sometimes, not everyday, but occasionally. I want this to be a life change, and it's not realistic for me to think that I'll never have another bite of bread again, because I will. If I deprive myself totally, I know that I'll eventually binge on those types of foods that I've been depriving myself of. It seems to work for me. If I REALLY want something, I let myself have a little bit of it. That way, the craving goes away.

Jultrim,

I had my sleeve surgery the same day you did. I completely agree with your description of your experience.

This weekend, it had been a while since I ate and was getting close to lunch time. I was ravenous. Craving all kinds of bad stuff. But, I stuck to the "protein first" rule, and after about 3 bites of chicken my stomach was stuffed full and couldn't physically take anymore.. but my head hunger was still there and angry. It's like the opposite of how I used to eat. I'd get a craving, eat the craving, the head hunger would go away and I'd be satisfied but I wouldn't really feel "full" until later, if at all. It's so frustrating to not feel that psychological comfort/satisfaction from food anymore. I know that's sort of the point of all this, and I'm happy with the result! I'm just frustrated with the means to the end right now.

I have been enjoying the Real Good pizza (it has a chicken breast based crust). One serving has 25 grams of protein. It's very tasty. It's also a bit pricey, but it does last for two meals.

weight.png

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's tough learning this new process. I learned a lot from the posts here about foods to eat and researching recipes online. As time goes on things will get easier. You shouldn't fear foods, just avoid what you know your not supposed to eat. If your worried how you will react to foods just try them in small amounts. Good luck to you!!!

Thanks everyone for helping me build my expectations about my journey. You sharingnis greatly appreciated.

Have you tried eating fish? It has a less dense consistency and may go down more easily.

I'm 5 days post op. I'm feeling so terrific, even thought about going back work. My kids were angry about that. I don't feel hunger yet, just desire to have food! Years ago a nutritionist said that if you crave something, the craving is satisfied after 2 bites, then you are just eating it. Wish I had listened to that advice years ago, I might not be at this place in life. Good advice I'm going to try to follow now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was literally starving the morning after surgery, I was under the impression that I wouldn’t feel hunger pains anymore and that is not correct. The desire to eat bad foods will never go away, you will have to fight daily to avoid them. I am 13 months out and have started to gain weight back due to poor eating habits. Start making the changes now, the sleeve is only a tool to lose weight. We are ultimately responsible for what goes into our mouths, the sleeve cannot do that for us.

I think what a lot of us forget is hunger pains and hunger are not the same. One is fueled directly by hunger the other is likely thirst. When I feel hunger pains, I start to drink Water and within 5 - 10 minutes my hunger has disappeared. If I can drink 20 oz of water within 3 hours of getting up - I am less hungry throughout the day. Add 40 oz and I'm barely hungry.

I also keep a canister of mixed nuts near my office desk, if I feel like the water hasn't satisfied my hunger I take 4 - 6 nuts and eat them slowly. My hunger immediately goes away until I'm ready for my next actual meal. At home I substitute a spoonful of Peanut Butter or cottage cheese (whichever is in stock).

Yep, i want food, but body is not screaming for it!