Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating more than I should, worried.

I’m 6wks post op n 3 wks into mushy stage of food. I’m worried. They said only eat 1/4 cup=2oz but last night I was able to eat 8.7oz. I ate the entire Real Good pepperoni pizza that has the chicken breast as the crust. It’s a small personal size but after the surgery I wouldn’t think that I should be able to eat the entire pizza. Maybe 1/4 of it but not whole thing. I was able to eat it without any discomfort. I’ve stopped losing weight too. I haven’t lost anything in 2 wks. I’m starting my step aerobic routine n resistance bands for strength training tomorrow but I’m concerned more about the amount I can eat n wonder if I’m doing something wrong or if I’ve stretched my pouch out already.

This is a fake post right? Is this what you call a troll? LOL!

No not fake! Not sure what u mean by troll either. Is that meant to be offensive?!! My concerns r true n I thought this forum was for people that wanted to reach out for help, support n to learn from others who have same or similar concerns, questions or experiences.

I didn't mean to come across as offensive. I just thought it was a fake post because it said you ate pizza but are in the mushy stage of food and were told to eat 2oz but chose to eat 8.7oz. The reason I thought it was a troll post was because your profile is pretty much void of any stats etc. Sorry, I was confused. Good luck with your journey.

2 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

I didn't mean to come across as offensive. I just thought it was a fake post because it said you ate pizza but are in the mushy stage of food and were told to eat 2oz but chose to eat 8.7oz. The reason I thought it was a troll post was because your profile is pretty much void of any stats etc. Sorry, I was confused. Good luck with your journey.

My dietician told me all I would "be able to eat" would be 1/4 cup and at 3 months out I will only be able to eat 1/2 cup at most. That has not been my experience, and my dietician was surprised at my 5 week appointment that I was able to eat much more than that. I feel like so much of the literature focuses on "eat until you feel that fullness" but never addresses what to do if you eat your 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup and still feel hungry or don't feel any restriction/fullness/etc.

It's been stressful and a frustration. I'm annoyed that I don't have the restriction I thought I was going to have. I understand that some things are going to be more slider food than others, but it seems like I'm able to have much more than I was led to expect to be able to have at this stage, and that I'm feeling actual, legitimate hunger after eating only 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup (not just head hunger) which surprises me as well.

I know that surgery doesn't make hunger go away, but I thought it would make it so less food would curb hunger/be filling. Obviously I'm still eating less than I was before, but I've had a similar experience as OP and while trying to still eat closer to 1/2 cup it's really hard to do that when there's no feeling of restriction/fullness.

One thing that did help with the eating/fullness thing is being much more strict about my Water - something my dietician recommended at my last appointment. I have been much more careful about not drinking at all for at least 20 minutes before I eat and at least 30 minutes after I eat. That's helped me feel more full!

@Ed_NW ok cool. Thks for explaining. I know I should only eat 1/4 but I want more n I thought my new pouch wouldn’t be able to allow me to eat more than I’m supposed to. The REAL GOOD pizza brand is a pizza made from chicken breast no dough. The dough crust part of the pizza is actually a flattened chicken breast. It’s soft n can be cut w a fork. My dr said I could eat chicken as long as I could smash it w a fork n to chew until it’s applesauce consistency. Maybe this isn’t what they meant when they said cut or smash w a fork. Oops. LOL.

I’ve adhered to the 30/30 rule no fluids or food 30 minutes from each other. Maybe I’m waiting too late to eat n by them I’m starving.

Water...I can’t get all my fluids in anymore. I can drink 2 Premier Protein drinks n a Bai but it’s a struggle. I barely can get in the 64oz of Water. Maybe I can get in 32oz by the end of the night but that’s if I stay up longer. But when it comes to food I feel like I can eat way too much.

@AEdoesRNY AMEN!! U described what I’m feeling down to a T. Thks for letting me know I’m not alone.

@Ed_NW ok cool. Thks for explaining. I know I should only eat 1/4 but I want more n I thought my new pouch wouldn’t be able to allow me to eat more than I’m supposed to. The REAL GOOD pizza brand is a pizza made from chicken breast no dough. The dough crust part of the pizza is actually a flattened chicken breast. It’s soft n can be cut w a fork. My dr said I could eat chicken as long as I could smash it w a fork n to chew until it’s applesauce consistency. Maybe this isn’t what they meant when they said cut or smash w a fork. Oops. LOL.
I'm still pre-op and that pizza sounds pretty good right now.LOL.. I'm still in the process of doing a lot of reading and trying to figure out which surgery is best for me. You're way ahead of me.

Ed

On 09/15/2018 at 14:53, Ed_NW said:

I'm still pre-op and that pizza sounds pretty good right now.LOL.. I'm still in the process of doing a lot of reading and trying to figure out which surgery is best for me. You're way ahead of me.

Ed

I tried the Quest pizza (at target) and it’s really good!

Hi there

you’ll find many many threads on this site from people saying “I am just a few weeks post surgery, I think I can eat anything, maybe he didn’t really DO the operation” and that sort of thing. You are WAY not alone.

The first few weeks are hard. Like you, my surgeon said I wouldn’t be able to eat a host of stuff that I could eat. You have to CHOSE not to at this point in your journey. And you really should chose not to. The most important thing is you treat your new pouch as real delicate, and start to develop real careful habits - those habits will stick! The pizza thing - shop bought, and I am guessing but maybe with quite a bit of additives, hidden sugar in the sauce - now in your journey is a great time to do a “whole new you thing”. Like what about you buy a rotisserie chicken, shred it, and freeze 2oz portions wrapped in foil. Then you just haul one out, warm it, add a bit of chipotle or applesauce, mash - all clean food, probably 1/2 the calories and a really good easy start in changing to healthy eating habits!

Seriously, I can’t eat more now than I could at 6 -8 weeks out, so the weight does peel off! But now is your critical time to change your habits. I have watched others in my journey and seen that the ones who made THIS change seem to have success. To decide any pizza is a once-a-month treat from now on. That losing weight and being a person who eats healthy, are your only life greats for the next few months... THEN you are guaranteed success!

Edited by Biddy zz

@Biddy zz thks. Those r great suggestions. I just need to get it together n regroup. I need to do more meal planning. Yes that “Real Good pizza co.” is a once n awhile thing but it’s basically no carbs which is why so many people r eating it especially those on Keto diets but yes I’m sure plenty of additives. Definitely no clean eating.

I started out measuring everything to make sure I was not eating crazy amounts. The first month I could eat about 4tablespoons at a time before I thought I would explode. It’s now 3 months post surgery I started at 316 and I’m at 244 currently.

However I kinda freaked out this evening because I had a lean cuisine meal steak bits in a sauce with broccoli then a applesauce cup. All in one meal that was 7.5 oz plus 4 oz. this is not my normal by any means I’m surprised I could eat all that.

It just shows me that I need to always be on guard with the what and how much I’m eating. As a general rule since my surgery I do not eat breads, flour, rice, Pasta, potatoes and avoid surgery items. No carbonated drinks.

Its a struggle believe me but we we can do it.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, AEdoesRnY said:

My dietician told me all I would "be able to eat" would be 1/4 cup and at 3 months out I will only be able to eat 1/2 cup at most. That has not been my experience, and my dietician was surprised at my 5 week appointment that I was able to eat much more than that. I feel like so much of the literature focuses on "eat until you feel that fullness" but never addresses what to do if you eat your 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup and still feel hungry or don't feel any restriction/fullness/etc.

It's been stressful and a frustration. I'm annoyed that I don't have the restriction I thought I was going to have. I understand that some things are going to be more slider food than others, but it seems like I'm able to have much more than I was led to expect to be able to have at this stage, and that I'm feeling actual, legitimate hunger after eating only 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup (not just head hunger) which surprises me as well.

I know that surgery doesn't make hunger go away, but I thought it would make it so less food would curb hunger/be filling. Obviously I'm still eating less than I was before, but I've had a similar experience as OP and while trying to still eat closer to 1/2 cup it's really hard to do that when there's no feeling of restriction/fullness.

You have lost 38 lbs in one month! I think you are doing fine.