Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell people at work?

I tell people that I had hiatal hernia surgery - which is true, I had it with the sleeve. The restricted eating is the same for that surgery as WLS. If people ask about my weight lost specifically, I tell them I eat less and am doing Keto and exercise which I didn't do at all before I started this journey. All of these responses are accurate! I am not comfortable telling everyone at work because the gossip factory is just too active here and I don't want people judging/talking about me. My lunch buddy and my boss know and that is it.

I have long had digestive issues so I basically said I was finally fixing those which is true. The only person who knows about WLS is my husband who is really the only one that matters

I just tell people I eat the right food, stay away from the bad, control my portions and exercise. All true statements. My medical history is no ones business.

I’ve only told my husband, my best friend, and people who have had it. I have terrible chronic back pain, which is part of why I am having it, so I’ve told work I’m having a procedure and I’ve mentioned to a few people that after, I will be on a medically supervised diet. I don’t want to tell people and it’s none of their business. :)

I only told a few close coworkers who seem to genuinely care. Every one else will have to figure it out. My concern was the judgment and opinions. I didn’t need anyone criticizing and try to talk me out of something I’ve spent 4 months of doctors appointments and insurance approval to do!

On 09/30/2018 at 22:39, Spellbound said:

I am totally stuck in this place right now.

Same here - I’m not comfortable at all talking about WLS and only my boss knows, in fact he first put the idea in my head years ago when he mentioned he thought about it.

I like the hiatal hernia bit since it’s true. I was thinking about an ulcer cover up with a special diet after. I drink Protein Shakes all the time at work so that will be normal post op.

Just outed myself at a newer job. 😮

Had surgey 5 months ago and hadn't told anyone at my new job yet. I don't know them and don't want to spend my life talking about it. Already got sh#t for saying this but, I am more than just a WLS patient.

THEN . . . . someone I work with is having surgery in 2 weeks and is so scared she is thinking about canceling. Poor thing is terrified and alone . . . .. Really felt like it was my duty to tell her I had it too and she will be alright.

Guess I have another surgery buddy. Not sure how others at work will react. I don't care that it is personal, just don't want it to define me too much, especially to a bunch of strangers.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:07 PM, Sleeved36 said:

Just outed myself at a newer job. 😮

Had surgey 5 months ago and hadn't told anyone at my new job yet. I don't know them and don't want to spend my life talking about it. Already got sh#t for saying this but, I am more than just a WLS patient.

THEN . . . . someone I work with is having surgery in 2 weeks and is so scared she is thinking about canceling. Poor thing is terrified and alone . . . .. Really felt like it was my duty to tell her I had it too and she will be alright.

Guess I have another surgery buddy. Not sure how others at work will react. I don't care that it is personal, just don't want it to define me too much, especially to a bunch of strangers.

That's awesome that you had the opportunity to do that, though.

I actually go back tomorrow after 2 weeks off. I had my surgery September 24th. I told them that I was having surgery, and that it was personal :) that's all. Honestly, I dont think it is their business and legally they cant pry. I got my fmla and short term disability also without having to tell HR any specifics either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

I actually go back tomorrow after 2 weeks off. I had my surgery September 24th. I told them that I was having surgery, and that it was personal default_smile.png&key=c7f7f3b9d6cf127cae811ee1f47ab94bd104c6b640ca298b4b4f1076c40ef73e that's all. Honestly, I dont think it is their business and legally they cant pry. I got my fmla and short term disability also without having to tell HR any specifics either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

Same here. I haven't said a word.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, Russ D said:

That's awesome that you had the opportunity to do that, though.

We will see . . . .. . I may eventually regret it.

I wasn't planning on telling everyone yet or maybe at all. I lost 50 lbs in 5 months before starting the job. Now that my weight loss has slowed some, it would have been really easy to never tell anyone.