Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

silly question



Recommended Posts

my 20th wedding anniversary is coming up Oct 10. We are renting out a local bar and my favorite cover band will be playing (very excited) I will be 6/7 weeks post op by then and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to enjoy a small nice healthy dinner and 1 cocktail that evening. Of course I will ask my doctor, just wanted to get your input.

thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is different but I enjoy small dinners out a restaurants (well, shared dinners) at 5/6 weeks. I haven't had a cocktail yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask your team and seriously consider following their advice to the letter,

BUT

If you choose to do otherwise I highly suggest you try everything you want to have that day well in advance of the event so that there are no surprises and you don't ruin the big day by being sick (but even with this method there are no guarantees)

Congrats!

Edited by GreenTealael
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you will be able to I am 5 weeks out and have enjoyed a cocktail (vodka Water with mio) drink slow...slow and steady wins the race!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fluffy562 said:

my 20th wedding anniversary is coming up Oct 10. We are renting out a local bar and my favorite cover band will be playing (very excited) I will be 6/7 weeks post op by then and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to enjoy a small nice healthy dinner and 1 cocktail that evening. Of course I will ask my doctor, just wanted to get your input.

thanks.

I think 7 weeks post op is too soon for alcohol in my opinion. Obviously, if your doctor thinks it is OK, then go for it. However, we are still healing at that time and I feel like its just too soon. And, I want to warn you, that one cocktail could land you flat on your @$$ if you aren't careful. In fact, I just had a few sips of a drink this past weekend and felt drunk for almost 35 minutes. For me, its hard to find a happy medium, between feeling good and drunk. The first time I drank, it was at home, and I always recommend it that way. You just never know how alcohol will affect you. Still to this day, 8 months post op, I mix my own drinks at a bar. You want to go slow and easy. I never do a full shot of anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My doctor was crystal clear that drinking alcohol before 6 months post op can have very serious consequences (he would prefer 12 months). He said alcohol acts as an abrasive in the stomach and can wreak havoc on the skin around the staples. I wouldn't risk it. My anniversary is October 11th and I plan on going out, having something simple to eat (soup), but definitely NOT having any drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sleeved on August 14th. My doc told me I could have 1 drink on new years (after I asked).

If I do have anything to drink, i'll have a sip of something at midnight but I won't have the full drink. I think physically I'd be fine to do so, but I'd rather focus on continuing to lose than having drinks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sleeved on August 14 and at this point there is no way I could even get a small meal meal or any alcohol down. I'm still struggling to get in my daily Protein and liquids. I'm impressed that you're able to even share a small meal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a big part of it is my stomach is probably a lot longer than yours. We have the same circumference stomach post-op, but if mine is longer, then I can hold more.

Guys do have it easier.

But i still have restriction. Just finished a bowl of BariatricPal Vegetarian Chili. Added 1/2 ounce of black bean spaghetti and 1/4 cup of fat free cheese. I ate a lot, but the last quarter cup is being put in the fridge. And I probably should have stopped 2 bites ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just returned from my doctor visit. I addressed my anniversary with him. I am 21 days post op. I have one more week of soft foods then on my own. As for a drink at my anniversary, He said I could have one and to drink slow.

I'm also down 20 pounds as of today ( I'm Smiling)

I definitely know that after the next week, it's going to be a slow process food wise. I'm not a crazy person thats gonna go out and binge. i barely eat 3 bites now. As long as I get my 2 Protein Shakes in and eat a sensible meal, ( I really miss my veggies) the doctor said take it slow. I will figure it out. I'm also not a big drinker either, but I just wanted to be able to cheers with my peeps, but one thing I do know.... You can't keep me off the dance floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fluffy562 said:

I just returned from my doctor visit. I addressed my anniversary with him. I am 21 days post op. I have one more week of soft foods then on my own. As for a drink at my anniversary, He said I could have one and to drink slow.

I'm also down 20 pounds as of today ( I'm Smiling)

I definitely know that after the next week, it's going to be a slow process food wise. I'm not a crazy person thats gonna go out and binge. i barely eat 3 bites now. As long as I get my 2 Protein Shakes in and eat a sensible meal, ( I really miss my veggies) the doctor said take it slow. I will figure it out. I'm also not a big drinker either, but I just wanted to be able to cheers with my peeps, but one thing I do know.... You can't keep me off the dance floor.

I hope you enjoy your anniversary and dancing is the best exercise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

I think 7 weeks post op is too soon for alcohol in my opinion. Obviously, if your doctor thinks it is OK, then go for it. However, we are still healing at that time and I feel like its just too soon. And, I want to warn you, that one cocktail could land you flat on your @$$ if you aren't careful. In fact, I just had a few sips of a drink this past weekend and felt drunk for almost 35 minutes. For me, its hard to find a happy medium, between feeling good and drunk. The first time I drank, it was at home, and I always recommend it that way. You just never know how alcohol will affect you. Still to this day, 8 months post op, I mix my own drinks at a bar. You want to go slow and easy. I never do a full shot of anything.

I didn't recognize you with your adorable new avatar!

I'm curious, did you drink much before WLS? Have a high tolerance?

I was wondering because I had a super high tolerance prior to WLS, and from what I've drank so far, I might still have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/13/2018 at 19:45, sillykitty said:





I didn't recognize you with your adorable new avatar!




I'm curious, did you drink much before WLS? Have a high tolerance?




I was wondering because I had a super high tolerance prior to WLS, and from what I've drank so far, I might still have it.


Thank you!
I didn’t drink a lot before surgery. So my tolerance was lower. My experience thus far has been that the effects do not last long. It hits me fast and wears off within 30-45 mins unless I continue drinking. But one drink has me feeling sloppy, unless I make it very light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Shannon lee

      Has anyone reading this lied about your weight just to get the surgery done?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Lucy81

       I don't know what to do for my birthday being that I just had weight loss surgery I know that I have a lot to be grateful for
      · 1 reply
      1. iattcom

        What would you normally do?

        Instead of planning a meal, what about an activity that you enjoy.

        If the weather is nice, plan a picnic and explain that you are not eating and will not be providing a cake instead if you wanted you could have birdseed bags that people could use to feed the birds or the ducks in a pond at the park where the picnic would be held. Everyone could bring their own lunch if they wanted to attend and you would only have to make little birdseed bags.

        If nature walks are more your style, do something along those lines and just let everyone know that for your birthday you are planning an activity and not a party. There will be no cake and ice cream if that is what they are looking for, they can just stay home.

        You could ask your friends to join you in a day of caring and you could all volunteer together somewhere either serving at a soup kitchen, helping at a shelter or a children's center or even a senior center.

    • GreenTealael

      I managed to finally break my old school manual Italian espresso maker... Is this a sign? 
      · 2 replies
      1. abefroman329

        Of what?

      2. GreenTealael

        Of what indeed. I thought at first I should give up coffee, nonsense.h Then I thought I should go out for coffee with friends more. Then I thought I should go to Italy for coffee with friends and get a new maker...

    • Naughty Glitter Goddess

       Well, I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and feeling really great!  I'm down 27 lb and 2 sizes since surgery and I got the all clear to start weight lifting again now that my hernia is mostly healed.  So excited to fit back in my cute coats for winter!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • dorijae2018

      Hi i'm dorijae, and into my pre-op evals, still undecided as to sleeve or bypass, but thinking bypass.  Happy to see this support group.  Have read some of the blogs on surgery, etc.  
      · 2 replies
      1. 2shea

        Welome dorijae2018, there are lot of supportive people on the forums, if you have any questions many are only too happy to help

      2. Sosewsue61

        Welcome. We are pretty friendly most of the time. Use the spyglass search option at the top of the forum page to find specific topics. We all decide on the type of surgery based on our current personal health conditions, what we prefer our outcome to be, and research we do. Some prefer bypass because they have consistent GERD, or fear getting it, some want a little faster initial weight loss, or consider it the best standard in bariatrics. Others prefer the sleeve because they do not want malabsorption of vitamins - particularly iron, want their stomach to have the valve and vagus nerve stay intact, don't want a pouch that can stretch, and lose just a little slower over a longer time frame. The real outcomes for overall weight loss is not much different in either surgery at the 18 month mark. It is a very personal decision and don't let anyone make it for you. Read and read some more and ask your surgeon a lot of questions. Good luck.

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×