Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder Removal Question?

So I’m 6-days post gastric bypass and wanted to know if everyone that has gotten the gastric bypass have had to get gallbladder removed yes or no.

1 hour ago, SummerEssence said:

So I’m 6-days post gastric bypass and wanted to know if everyone that has gotten the gastric bypass have had to get gallbladder removed yes or no.

Some do, some done. This is 100% a case by case thing. For me, I had gallstones before bypass, so I didn't need to take any of the gallstone medication. My stones were not severe enough to warrant removal of my gallbladder. So far, just shy of 6 months out, no issues with my gallbladder. So, if things keep working out this way, I won't have to have it removed.

But there are folks that do have to have it removed during surgery and some folks have to have it removed after surgery.

No gallstones or gallbladder surgery for me post-gastric bypass. (I had WLS 18 months ago.)

I had the sleeve and 2 months after I had to have my gall bladder removed because I had gallstone pancreatitis. It depends on the person.

And Summer Essence, how is YOUR gall bladder doing?

I am having gastric in 3 weeks and my ultrasound showed I had A LOT of gallstones. They won't remove it during surgery because where they put the instruments isn't ideal for removing the gallblader without doing open surgery. They are going to prescribe me gallstone medicine to try to prevent more from forming after surgery. I don't have any issues with my gallbladder hurting me now. I am scared that since I already have a lot in there, that it may get worse, but the docs have assured me that the medicine will stop new ones from forming so I shouldn't worry.

Mine was removed at the same time as my bypass surgery

I had a cholecystectomy in May, 22 months after my RNY, mistakenly to cure my abdominal pain which was actually due to a marginal ulcer. So a totally unnecessary surgery. I had 1 small stone that was soft & would have passed.

BTW, nobody told me about the uncontrollable, explosive diarrhea I would have after my GB surgery. I would have to go home and change my clothes in the middle of work. I still carry a spare pair of underwear in my purse. Very embarrassing when they fall out of my purse when I remove my wallet!

I have been taking prebiotics with an antifungal agent as well as Probiotics for the past year, so no, they did not help after my GB surgery in 5/18. Post-op diarrhea just happens to some folks. Mine stopped after a month. I have an unlucky friend who STILL has it almost 3 yrs after her RNY.