Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ups and downs...

Hi-Starting week 8. For the most part, very happy. Down about 30 pounds, hoping for 50 by 3 month check in. I keep having little gains and then loses. Is this normal? I am also notice if I indulge in even a few nuts, the scale goes up. Not fun and something I need to cut out. Any thoughts?

Ups and downs are totally normal.

30 lbs in 2 moths is fantastic. Please don't hold yourself up to unrealistic expectations about weight loss.

Oh no .... just realized this is the guys room ... apologies!

Thanks. It is just frustrating, but I would not have been able to lose this weight without it.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:58 AM, TomC said:

Hi-Starting week 8. For the most part, very happy. Down about 30 pounds, hoping for 50 by 3 month check in. I keep having little gains and then loses. Is this normal? I am also notice if I indulge in even a few nuts, the scale goes up. Not fun and something I need to cut out. Any thoughts?

Fluctuations are going to happen. Are you tracking fat % as well?

A good way to minimize fluctuations is to weigh yourself at the same time, after doing the same things every time, you are looking for a level of consistency to reduce potential environmental causes for the weight variations.

For me, I wake up, get my coffee, hit the rest room, then weigh in after doing my morning stretches. I measure daily, so M-F is pretty consistent overall. The weekends have some swing to them typically, but the M-F numbers are pretty consistent.

Thanks. I have a scale that has fat % and it is going down a little, but to be honest, I have not been so focused on that. I will pay more attention to this. I do notice that I can run more and my strength is coming back in the gym, so that is encouraging. I will try to get into the m-Fri weigh in. You are probably right that better monitoring can help figure out what differences may have caused the increase in weight.

I'm a few days behind you and have started noticing the fluctuations as well. I am also getting in more calories as of late so I know that has a lot to do with it. I am still losing but it had slowed down quite a bit for a few weeks. I just got one of those fancy measure everything scales so just started paying attention to fat% but it's nice to have it and be able to compare it to past days. I way myself every morning and track everything I consume.

3 hours ago, TomC said:

Thanks. I have a scale that has fat % and it is going down a little, but to be honest, I have not been so focused on that. I will pay more attention to this. I do notice that I can run more and my strength is coming back in the gym, so that is encouraging. I will try to get into the m-Fri weigh in. You are probably right that better monitoring can help figure out what differences may have caused the increase in weight.

I ask and always point to the fat % because, in the long run, that's really what the surgery is about, it's not really "weight loss", cutting a leg off drops weight... but not what we are trying to do, we are looking to rid ourselves of fat, yet, so few people track their fat %.

You don't need to weigh in daily, in fact there are a lot of reasons *NOT* to do so. I do it simply for trend tracking. The biggest take away I was going for was consistency to reduce variables.

Yes, it’s normal. What I’ve found happens is that I’ll hover around a particular number, and then one day I’ll start hovering around a number 5 pounds below that.

If my Fitbit Aria is to be believed, my body fat percentage is down about 15 percentage points since the surgery.