Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wheetsin, got a question for you...

I've been looking for a laptop. I just want basic. I had a Toshiba Satellite (and as Wheetsin, I absolutely hated it, just gave it away as a matter of fact) and don't want another.

Vista... stupid question. If I can manage to find a basic laptop that has lots of RAM (Toshiba Satellite taught me that lesson) and just does basic stuff, Word, Internet, etc., can I wipe out the hard drive and install XP such as I have on my laptop or will that not work for some reason? I have specialized scanners and hardware that are not going to work with Vista.

I just looked at the Dell website. When you get one customized, you can choose to either have Vista or XP installed on it. I'd be afraid to mess with one, otherwise.

I just looked at this but it shows Vista.

I need help choosing something. I don't want to spend a fortune, I need basic, nothing fancy. I don't need mega graphics. I want extra RAM, no Vista, XP only.

Suggestions?

I just looked at this but it shows Vista.

I need help choosing something. I don't want to spend a fortune, I need basic, nothing fancy. I don't need mega graphics. I want extra RAM, no Vista, XP only.

Suggestions?

Yeah, their laptops only seem to come with Vista. Some of their desktops, though, can be customized with XP. I think it's the XPS desktops that can be, but they are probably more expensive than what you're looking for.

So where do I find what I want?
Absolutely no clue. I've looked at Gateway, Dell, HP, and Sony over the last several days, and they all seem to come standard with Vista. Sucks.

Wasa when I clicked continue to customize the one you picked it gave me an option to customize it with either Vista or XP.

Oh great!

Do you know anything about computers? Can you just finish customizing that puppy for me? :) :) :eek:

I just called Dell, they are just as horrible as the last time I got a computer. I can't stand Dell. I couldn't get a straight answer out of the guy.

The $499 Notebook is $800, that's with minimal everything, no service contracts, nothing.

I just don't trust Dell, I had such a horrible time with my PC I swore I'd never buy from them again. The customer service is horrible, everything was awful.

I expected to pay around $800 so the price isn't an issue at all. I just hate Dell and I was burned so bad last time I can't bring myself to deal with them again. I think I'll keep looking around.

To be honest, I think I'd prefer to not have a laptop vs. going with them again. After my conversation with the sales guy, it just confirmed all my experiences from last time.

I have always shelled out the extra money and gone to a private computer business and sat down face to face with a real live person so I could explain what I wanted and have any questions I wanted answered right there in front of me.

It will cost extra but there is no headache and if something goes wrong you can go down and talk to a person, not a voice on the phone or a automated message. IMHO it is well worth the money for that alone.

Plus I am sure you can get a discount, they are all computer nerds in those places (most of the time) just wear a low cut shirt and bat your eyes at them!!! :P

I have always shelled out the extra money and gone to a private computer business and sat down face to face with a real live person so I could explain what I wanted and have any questions I wanted answered right there in front of me.

It will cost extra but there is no headache and if something goes wrong you can go down and talk to a person, not a voice on the phone or a automated message. IMHO it is well worth the money for that alone.

Plus I am sure you can get a discount, they are all computer nerds in those places (most of the time) just wear a low cut shirt and bat your eyes at them!!! :P

I wouldn't mind doing that in the least. I'm really not as concerned with price as I am quality and follow up care for the 'puter. :P

My problem is that I haven't found anyone that has been in business a year or better that does this. If they aren't in business in a year when I need them, what good are they to me?

Another bandster who lives in the Phoenix area is going to take me shopping Wednesday for computers. Hopefully she can help, I'm a total dolt when it comes to computers.

well, best of luck! You may also think about checking out the big box stores like circuit city or best buy and order a custom made laptop through there.